C+E Restricted?

Hello only me :smiley: I was speaking to another instructor today and he told me that there have been instances when a trainee has taken a test with a draw bar and passed and handed their licences over to the examiner to be sent off when they have received it back there has been a restriction placed on the licence for draw bar entitlement only and not the full c+e artic entitlement with the dvla refusing to change the licence.My question is has there been a change in the law or an e e c directive recently imposed ? :smiley: aceman :smiley:

when they have received it back there has been a restriction placed on the licence for draw bar entitlement only and not the full c+e artic entitlement

Never heard of this at all. The entitlement passed is C+E which is truck and trailer so covers both types of vehicle.

Does the instructor that told you this only use Artics? :confused: :confused:

It would make sense in some circumstances, for instance a thread I brought up in would a catergory C driver would have to take a C+E test in order to tow a road roller/mini digger?
The answer was of course yes.
Now I think there should be two types of test, it seems a bit extreme to go through a cat C+E to tow a smaller trailer. However there is a restriction code from DVLA which is 102, this means draw bar trailers only.
Correct me if I’m wrong but are pre-1997 Class 2/3 drivers allowed to tow draw bar trailers?

Pre 1997 drivers who had old Class 3 used to be able to drive drawbars with restriction but could not drive artics.
Now it is all lumped together under C for Truck and E for trailer

When the licences were changed from the old class style to the new category C and CE in the early '90’s (not '97 as is often believed :slight_smile: ) some holders were given a licence which restricted them to drawbars. If you take your CE test now in a drawbar (that meets the minimum test standard) you will receive a full licence; if it comes back with a restriction then it’s an error by the DVLA, although given their track record getting it removed would probably be impossible :smiley:

Thanks mrpj :smiley: that is what I think must have happened.What with all these changes in law and rule s just lately I thought I may have missed something :smiley: aceman :smiley: