IF you have cat C and want to do C+E

Do I need to apply for a C+E provisional licence or can I do the training and take the test on my C?

I am awaiting my licences coming back with C D on it as I passed the medical last Wednesday. Wonder how long it will take to come back from Swansea? I think I will have a cat c with a 102 restriction as I did my test in 1977 (army)

Although there should be no reason for a CE Provisional entitlement to be placed on your licence, you need to have a licence in your hand with the Provisional category to be legally insured on the road and allowed to take the test.

You will obviously have to pass the C test to get CE Provisional.

alder:
I think I will have a cat c with a 102 restriction as I did my test in 1977 (army)

Doesn’t exist, the 102 goes against CE only as it concerns articulated vehicles.

mrpj:

alder:
I think I will have a cat c with a 102 restriction as I did my test in 1977 (army)

Doesn’t exist, the 102 goes against CE only as it concerns articulated vehicles.

102 restriction is given to anyone who passed the old class 2 test ( rigid licence with drawbar trailer) means you can drive a drawbar but not an artic.

You should automatically have a C+E provisional from your full cat C licence

John

[quote="chevmac means you can drive a drawbar but not an artic.

[/quote]
By articulated I meant ‘trailered’ :blush: . My point is still correct as regards the CE part.

chevmac:

mrpj:

alder:

102 restriction is given to anyone who passed the old class 2 test ( rigid licence with drawbar trailer) means you can drive a drawbar but not an artic.

John

That’s what I wanted to know, thought for a moment I would have to send my licence back again to get provisional put on it :unamused: Anyone know how long it takes to come back? I passed my medical last Wednesday 22nd May and sent it off straight away with the D2 and D4 forms

mrpj:
[quote="chevmac means you can drive a drawbar but not an artic.

By articulated I meant ‘trailered’ :blush: . My point is still correct as regards the CE part.
[/quote]
Didn’t say you we’re incorrect - merely clarifying a point :wink:

alder:

chevmac:

mrpj:

alder:

John

That’s what I wanted to know, thought for a moment I would have to send my licence back again to get provisional put on it :unamused: Anyone know how long it takes to come back? I passed my medical last Wednesday 22nd May and sent it off straight away with the D2 and D4 forms

Can be as quick as a week - depends how busy DVLA are

OK thanks I will post what I get back, some say I will get a HGV 2 with a 102 restriction which means I can drive a W&D with a drawbar trailer. The restriction as I understand it is that it must be a drawbar trailer and not an A frame self steering trailer which is common on over the water. :smiley:

alder:
OK thanks I will post what I get back, some say I will get a HGV 2 with a 102 restriction which means I can drive a W&D with a drawbar trailer. The restriction as I understand it is that it must be a drawbar trailer and not an A frame self steering trailer which is common on over the water. :smiley:

You will get a C+E with a 102 restriction - it covers all drawbar trailers but not artics

John

chevmac:

alder:

You will get a C+E with a 102 restriction - it covers all drawbar trailers but not artics

John

OK so I need to do a course for artics which is C+E so that I have no restrictions. Still going to cost me the same I think. :smiley:

For those with a C+E and a 102 restriction …

They can drive a W&D to the test centre by themselves, fit L plates, do test, pass or fail remove L plates, then drive away by themselves - a pass would remove the 102 restriction

ROG:
For those with a C+E and a 102 restriction …

They can drive a W&D to the test centre by themselves, fit L plates, do test, pass or fail remove L plates, then drive away by themselves - a pass would remove the 102 restriction

Thanks Rog, that clears it up. If I was lucky enough to land a job doing W&D then that would be great for me to get my artic capability however with no experience under my belt and so long since I drove PSV/HGV it is unlikely anyone will take on. I think I will go in from scratch and do an assessment drive and pay for the whole course to be safe and more employable. thanks for your help guys :smiley:

Just checked with the DVLA and my licence has been posted out so could land on the door mat (of I had one) anytime soon :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have C, C + E 102 restriction, D an D+E

think I will start applying for jobs now :smiley: