bulker over

this happened yesterday on the job next to where i am working ,lucky no one was hurt ,the digger suffered a bit of damage
but the trailer may need some serious buffing :slight_smile:

now I know why the job ad’s always read " Must have tipper experiance" !

joedwyer1:
now I know why the job ad’s always read " Must have tipper experiance" !

There are two kinds of tipper driver, those that have had one over & those that are going to :open_mouth:

Now I’ve got my forensic hat on, I see the front wheels have a bit of left lock on, if he backed in on that lock & went past the in a straight line position & the front of the unit was to the right of the centerline that’s the way it would’ve capsized.

Saved the digger from putting it in the trench! Well done.

being a tipper driver and looking at the two pics i can see what has happend,
pic 1, at the rear of the trailer you can see a pile of stone on the ground that is exactly like the ones in the trailer, now the distance between that pile of stones and the rear of the trailer says to me he was tipping at the time of the accident and that the load was loaded to much to the nearside (it does happen espescialy if its from an overhead gantry).
pic 2, tells me that the trailer tipping ram was on its fourth stage, now the person has been tipping and is seeing it up on third stage and will be giving the boot to put it up fast, now the wheels of the unit are pointing to the left which says he reversed into that area and didnt straightin out the steering as the staz tipper has self opening door, when its went onto third stage he has let the hand brake of to move forward a bit so the stone wont go over the top of the trailer but with him doing that and with the load being to one side a bit and at that height is enough to cause the front of the box to start swinging and with the load still at front is enough to send it over. that is my verdict on what has happend but hey i could be totaly wrong

Unless it was a mechanical fault which does happen.He was probably tipping on uneven ground (it looks like a building site) and he did’nt compensate for it. What I used to do was get the trailer wheels on a tump of muck to get the trailer as level as possible put the body up too the limit then pull away in one go. Looking at the trench he may have been trying to discharge the load a bit at a time to help the machine driver ( not a good idea )

That’s one of our tippers! :open_mouth: will try and get the story behind it though doubt the guys gonna be around long enough to tell the tale :confused:

We’ve only just started doing tipper work, the tipper bodies are ex E K Benton

“That’s not what I was meaning when I said tip it here, drive”

Grayham:
That’s one of our tippers! :open_mouth: will try and get the story behind it though doubt the guys gonna be around long enough to tell the tale :confused:

We’ve only just started doing tipper work, the tipper bodies are ex E K Benton

if they keep doin that then they wont be in the tipping long then

Welshman:
Unless it was a mechanical fault which does happen.He was probably tipping on uneven ground (it looks like a building site) and he did’nt compensate for it. What I used to do was get the trailer wheels on a tump of muck to get the trailer as level as possible put the body up too the limit then pull away in one go. Looking at the trench he may have been trying to discharge the load a bit at a time to help the machine driver ( not a good idea )

the trench is for a drainage pipe that has not yet been put in ,the ground is firm and level ,as its a new coach terminal ,and the stone is being brought up in layers to the correct level and properly compacted ,there are plenty of loads already tipped ,there has been 20 + loads in

lucky the ram bent, i have seen a ram split and as the loaded body came down it fired the remainder of the ram right down the centre of the cab, writting off both trailer and unit, the driver walked away with a cuts n bruises, i did take a pic if i can find it i’ll put it up

My Grandad had a ram split while tipping on a barge during construction of the Thames Barrier, it was a 6 wheel Leyland Bear (basically an Albion Reiver) with a short little body so there wasn’t that much ram, but when it broke the bottom half came straight forward & made a proper mess of the cab, luckily the body never twisted & came straight down with an almighty crash, the old boy had his head out of the window watching the load come out so he didn’t have a scratch on him, he got a new 2200 Daf too so it done him a favour really :wink:

Bet the boy in the New Holland digger nearly crapped himself :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

Never did like those Stas tipping trailers,I always thought they were slow to tip with those 60t rams compared to my Kel-Berg and you always like the last stage to go up quite fast to get any “sticky stuff” to slide out sharp. :wink:
I ALWAYS stood out and watched the trailer tip so “hopefully” I could see more around me if things did not look right when she was tipping on a site.

Probably loaded all down one side, the ground looks o.k, the load looks like scalpings or sub base if it,s dry it will come out well. I expect the Phone conversation went something like “Boss I’ve got a bit of a problem with the truck” “what type of problem” " I’ve broken a mirror" “how did you manage that” “the ******* truck fell on it”

talking to one of the machine operators on friday and the digger is wrote off
the bulker driver was out of the cab while tipping ,talking to another driver ,one of the other operators saw the trailer start to go and was shouting ,but it was too late
cheers graham

d4c24a:
the bulker driver was out of the cab while tipping ,talking to another driver ,one of the other operators saw the trailer start to go and was shouting ,but it was too late
cheers graham

written off :question: :open_mouth: unless the pics are decieving the digger looks to of escaped with out any damage :question: ok may be some cosmetic damage but a write off :question:

Cruise Control:

d4c24a:
cheers graham

written off :question: :open_mouth: unless the pics are decieving the digger looks to of escaped with out any damage :question: ok may be some cosmetic damage but a write off :question:

now the trailer is off you can see the damage ,the loader arm is bent ,it has snapped the ram clean in half ,rad oil cooler etc has been pushed into fan ,cab damaged ,hydraulic tank split ,steps ,wing etc ,the machine is still in position as it cannot be started /moved,no hyd oil and rad etc
Does the dealer have quoted 26k to repair ,its sat waiting for the insurance co to have it picked up
it would be a good buy to repair yourself ,as i would if i had the finance,s :laughing:

After these tipper trailers go over are the tractor units normaly Ok?

removalboy:
After these tipper trailers go over are the tractor units normaly Ok?

The chassis on the unit may be twisted as a result. Also, if a unit goes over, there may be damage to the engine as oil will collect at the top

they usally twisted after a tip over like the one here, they can sometimes jig them straight again but i personelly wouldnt trust a unit that had been on its side and jigged