Breaks

Just wondering,
Many of my tips even though I’m a curtain slider tend to be deliveries onto a bay ( fine by me )
Once I’m parked on bay handed keys over to warehouse and sat in passenger seat with a cuppa chilling can I register this as a driving break .
Thanks in advance

This one will run and run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In practice yes, though in theory if you were compelled to be sat there prisoner like unable to leave the vehicle to go for a pee or to wander off outside the gate for a ■■■ or to the nearest butty van than there might be some argument against.
What you couldn’t officially do is to book that time as POA unless you know how long the peroiud of availablity will be, though again in practice lots of people would book this as POA.

Thing is to be keep in mind is exactly how you are paid, it might be tempting to take your break there but if you are paid minus breaks then is sat in that passenger seat what YOU really wanted as a break?
Your break time is yours, some operators think just because the wheels aint turning you are having a break, its your time so where and when suits you.

You can make lots of things work for you hours wise, just don’t be making a rod for your own back by being super efficient if you work for some mob likely to shift the wages goal posts weher your established overall job times come back to bite you in the arse when some new broom ex logistics pointy shoe sees an opportunity for greasy pole climbing by changing work and pay practices by cutting your money and/or making you do more and more for the same.
Moderation in everything.

There are a few ways of looking at this.
First, the answer to your question is Yes. (Unless one of the tacho regulation nazis on here come on and shoot me down in flames that is :smiley: )

The way I see it is a break is not something you should have to ‘get in’, breaks are there to benefit you as a driver, not something for your boss to fit in between getting tipped and loaded, as sometimes in that situation you end up having to take your break (in terms of general tiredness) when you don’t really need it, then when you set back off, and maybe feel a bit tired, they’ll probably expect you to work through it (I personally wouldn’t but there are idiots out there who do :unamused: )

The time spent on the bay can be/is construed as work, where you get paid for it, where as if you take your 45 you ain’t getting paid. :bulb:
I will take a break on a bay to benefit myself in one way or another, but I ALWAYS make sure I take a proper break further on in the day.

Like everything else in this crap job mate, …It all depends on how your firm treats you, if they want everything done by the book, and are complete arses also, then you can hit them with their own stick by arguing my last point, but if they are a good firm who respects you, then we can all work in together…give and take.
Ie…In my book they reap what they sow.

Juddian:
You can make lots of things work for you hours wise, just don’t be making a rod for your own back by being super efficient if you work for some mob likely to shift the wages goal posts weher your established overall job times come back to bite you in the arse when some new broom ex logistics pointy shoe sees an opportunity for greasy pole climbing by changing work and pay practices by cutting your money and/or making you do more and more for the same.
Moderation in everything.

That is an excellent point Juddian,.we’ve both been in this job long enough to see this happen time and time again.
The one thing wrong with this job is… DRIVERS ! :imp:
Own worst enemy, ant too ■■■■ thick to see and understand the point you make. :unamused:

How many times on here have you seen guys complaining about the tear arse heroes totally ■■■■ ing up their job by hours…then the standard answer is…‘You must have been hanging the job out’’
No I wasn’t ! I was doing it to the best of my ability in a safe and professional manner.
This is one of the reasons I watch my own job whilst I am off,.as you invariably get one of the heroes on it trying to be the boss’s best mate. :unamused:

So matey takes his break on the bay,.and the guys taking proper breaks who are doing nothing wrong, suddenlly find their job schedule and pay cut by 45 mins to an hour.

Not meaning the o/p personally btw, as I don’t know his circumstances, but you can never educate PORK. :bulb:

Oops look like I have started a debate.
Definitely not looking to be a tear arse and get back to the yard.
Firstly we to much distance and hours to be charging about.
Just sometimes it’s to my benefit to how my day is going to break on bays (occasionally and when it suits )
Thanks

Happy Trucker1:
Oops look like I have started a debate.
Definitely not looking to be a tear arse and get back to the yard.
Firstly we to much distance and hours to be charging about.
Just sometimes it’s to my benefit to how my day is going to break on bays (occasionally and when it suits )
Thanks

Yep as I said I’ll sometimes do the same for whatever reason.
But tell me you don’t forfeit 45 mins pay for doing so,.and that you take a proper break later on in day when it suits or is appropriate.

Break is simply not working or driving

Rest is being able to use that time as you wish

If you can get rest of your day done .can’t see a problem taking a break on a loading bay…
If you don’t then pointless taking a break to then have to stop again.

Personally I’d take 15 mins carry on then take half an hour.
But each to there own really

robroy:
But tell me you don’t forfeit 45 mins pay for doing so,.and that you take a proper break later on in day when it suits or is appropriate.

This. You’ll always forfeit 45 minutes pay tipping or loading on break whether you get paid for breaks or not simply by the fact that you’ll end up finishing 45 minutes earlier.

Being asked to tip on break is a definite no-no.
Tipping on break is a bit of grey area. I used to do food tankers and at one spot the time I was there was when the staff restaurant was serving breakfast and one of their staff did the actual hooking up of hoses and pumping out so I was able to go off, have a breakfast then wander round the corner to the local shop and get a newspaper. Nothing wrong with having a break in those circumstances and it’d be legal even if VOSA had been watching me. However if you’re there with a pump truck or have to stay with the vehicle when they’re tipping it because you need to move straps etc, from a legal point of view that’s not a break.

Most drivers have tipped on break at one point or another, they’d be liars if they said they hadn’t. The difference though is when you do it as a one off because you need to get finished early for something you’ve got on at home and when you start to do it regularly for whatever reason you tell yourself. If you’re doing it every day for no other reason than it gets you home early you maybe want to reconsider what you do for a living, whether that be changing the type of driving job you do or stopping driving lorries altogether because clearly you’re not happy where you are.

Conor:

robroy:

This. You’ll always forfeit 45 minutes pay tipping or loading on break whether you get paid for breaks or not simply by the fact that you’ll end up finishing 45 minutes earlier.

Being asked to tip on break is a definite no-no.
Tipping on break is a bit of grey area. I used to do food tankers and at one spot the time I was there was when the staff restaurant was serving breakfast and one of their staff did the actual hooking up of hoses and pumping out so I was able to go off, have a breakfast then wander round the corner to the local shop and get a newspaper. Nothing wrong with having a break in those circumstances and it’d be legal even if VOSA had been watching me. However if you’re there with a pump truck or have to stay with the vehicle when they’re tipping it because you need to move straps etc, from a legal point of view that’s not a break.

Most drivers have tipped on break at one point or another, they’d be liars if they said they hadn’t. The difference though is when you do it as a one off because you need to get finished early for something you’ve got on at home and when you start to do it regularly for whatever reason you tell yourself. If you’re doing it every day for no other reason than it gets you home early you maybe want to reconsider what you do for a living, whether that be changing the type of driving job you do or stopping driving lorries altogether because clearly you’re not happy where you are.

I was coming at it from a tramper’s perspective, rather than doing it to get home early.
If I have 45 on a bay, when I could be getting paid for it, because I am actually ‘in work’ then parking up at the end of the day, I’ve technically lost 45 mins pay.
If I take the 45, then later on in the day stop for a meal/rest ie ‘proper’ break,.I have then recouped the pay…so in those circumstances I have lost nothing by tipping on break, but maybe have managed to say meet a drop deadline before my proper break, that I otherwise would not have.
(If you see what I mean by my badly explained account. . :smiley: )

robroy:
There are a few ways of looking at this.
First, the answer to your question is Yes. (Unless one of the tacho regulation nazis on here come on and shoot me down in flames that is :smiley: )

The way I see it is a break is not something you should have to ‘get in’, breaks are there to benefit you as a driver, not something for your boss to fit in between getting tipped and loaded, as sometimes in that situation you end up having to take your break (in terms of general tiredness) when you don’t really need it, then when you set back off, and maybe feel a bit tired, they’ll probably expect you to work through it (I personally wouldn’t but there are idiots out there who do :unamused: )

The time spent on the bay can be/is construed as work, where you get paid for it, where as if you take your 45 you ain’t getting paid. :bulb:
I will take a break on a bay to benefit myself in one way or another, but I ALWAYS make sure I take a proper break further on in the day.

Like everything else in this crap job mate, …It all depends on how your firm treats you, if they want everything done by the book, and are complete arses also, then you can hit them with their own stick by arguing my last point, but if they are a good firm who respects you, then we can all work in together…give and take.
Ie…In my book they reap what they sow.

Robroy is absolutely right. You take your down time to suit yourself. If calling it a break gets you home at night or helps you get done early then it’s a break, but if you’re on double time and you’d rather take a break later at Nancy’s Truck Stop down the way then it’s work or POA. There are many grey areas in driver’s hours so make them work for you and not them.

What’s the general consensus regarding long tipping times.
I was sat at waitrose,for nine hours…a few nights ago.
Didn’t fancy taking a 45 on the way home :blush:

commonrail:

This is an excellent example of context. It all depends on what went before and is supposed to come after. A break is supposed to be for rest and recuperation, so the question always needs to be answered whether you feel rested and recuperated? In pre covid times that may have been however many hrs in a drivers’ waiting room so the answer for me would be definitely not recuperated. Able to sleep in the cab and access to some form of refreshment and peace and quiet then likely Yes. Stressed and concerned about how a long tipping time will affect my day or abulity to get home, no. That all completely apart from the issue of whether the break is ‘off the clock’ or not.

commonrail:

You’ve just said it ‘‘On the way home’’, it’s a different ball game to being out all week.
If I was job/finish/home.
I’d definitely do things different,.especially if I was on a day job rate or salary,.rather than hours…but keeping the balance right between getting home quicker and ballising up the job as I said in my other post.

It really is quite simple. A break is any period in which a driver may not carry out any driving or other work blah blah blah gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours If i know i am not going to have to do any other work when i am on a bay then i can have a break, perfectly legal, there is no grey area.

shullbit:
It really is quite simple. A break is any period in which a driver may not carry out any driving or other work blah blah blah gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours If i know i am not going to have to do any other work when i am on a bay then i can have a break, perfectly legal, there is no grey area.

Don’t think anybody said there was a 'grey area’s tbh mate.
We were just debating as to whether or not a driver can, will, or is willing to… lose money over it.

Shouldn’t be allowed ( breaks on bays ) as you always get the ones who instead of pulling off bay when tipped need to get another 10/15 mins in , so they ■■■■ around with paper work , sat nav ( every now & then a quick look how many mins left until break done ) then did I shut back door etc etc , all whilst no eye contact , should be break before arriving or after leaving , does my head in

Drivers must take a 30-minute break when they have driven for a period of 8 ■■■■■■■■■■ hours without at least a 30-minute interruption. The break may be satisfied by any non-driving period of 30 consecutive minutes (i.e., on-duty not driving, off-duty, sleeper berth, or any combination of these taken consecutively).

This is from the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration here in the US. You cannot drive more than 8hrs without taking a 30 min break which had to be taken off duty, but they recently changed it to 30 mins of not driving so you can be doing other work and it will be deemed as ‘rest’.

This from a ‘safety’ administration. :confused:

Thats a glimpse into Brexit future when working conditions have been “looked at” by our current government :laughing: