Break on the Bay?

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on taking breaking while on the bay? or while waiting to be tipped?

Do your employers encourage you to do this?

If you are sat with your feet up, reading the paper, watching tv, drinking tea or coffee or on the bunk then why not put it on break if it suits you ? If it doesn’t suit you then don’t put it on break. At the very least you’ll get a 15 in which is always handy.

If I ain’t working, (Tipping/loading), or driving, it’s straight on break. This POA stunt is a load of ■■■■, while it may be useful for some, it can be a pain in the arse!

Illegal me thinks, the law states that you must be “free to dispose of your time”. Technically other work or poa I would say.

Currently on bay having break. Booked in, handed in keys and paperwork. Back to cab, switched onto break. As far as I’m concerned I’m having a break. Sat on bunk with a cuppa writing this is not work as far as I’m concerned. When light goes green, ill switch back to work and walk in for notes.

sortca:
Illegal me thinks, the law states that you must be “free to dispose of your time”. Technically other work or poa I would say.

You think incorrectly - that is for rest not break

Unless I’m physically involved in tipping, goes on break. If you get stuck somewhere it can give you another 15hr day (££££££) and it means that you that you can manage your time better, ie, later on in the day you’ll be able to have a break where you want one, and not where your tacho dictates you need one. Depending on what tacho you have, POA can over complicate things and reset your tacho time when it’s actually not reset, so it’s just a faff. I tried for a bit when I started on artics, and got a couple of infringements, don’t get them if you bang it on break.

Yep break on the bay never use POA.
If the time can be used to relax and recouperate break it is.

If the company I work for requests POA to be used its still break as its my bloody card and im sort of qualified to use it in a fashion.

sortca:

As Rog says…Your wrong…

I’m currently on a bay and currently on a break whilst some bod ferrets around inside my back doors (put that in for Dipper Dave’s titilation), as I find TNUK relaxing :wink: I’m recuperating, which I believe falls within the parameters.

As an aside I’ll probably get less than 15 minutes so I accept that it is no good as a driving break, but it does knock however many minutes I take off my working time.

work it to suit yourself, it really doesn’t matter what others think unless your caught by vosa.

some will as have said sitting watching a film whilst unloading is break, other will say oh no I need to be in charge of the vehicle so I cant possibly do it.

It all depends on if you can use your time for “exclusive recuperation”. If you can then great, put it on break if you want to. If you cant then it’ll have to be something else.

All depends on the scenario, every tip is different.

For me it goes on break where it can, as this boosts my earning potential. But that suits me.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with an employer planning your breaks when it is legal for you to have one.

bestbooties:
If I ain’t working, (Tipping/loading), or driving, it’s straight on break. This POA stunt is a load of [zb], while it may be useful for some, it can be a pain in the arse!

Its not a pain in the arse, its simple. If you can’t understand it you shouldn’t be doing the job.

PaulNowak:
Depending on what tacho you have, POA can over complicate things and reset your tacho time when it’s actually not reset, so it’s just a faff. I tried for a bit when I started on artics, and got a couple of infringements, don’t get them if you bang it on break.

Good job you never drove on paper tachos…

Cheers maoster, ive got 4 or 5 gentleman messing round by my back doors at the moment, its like being back at school. 4 hour handball apparently (I do love the word handball).

So 4 hours break which I can count as 4 hours rest as I can dispose of my time freely etc.

I never really did get the advantage of poa over break :unamused: , maybe in I wasn’t paying attention during my cpc lesson :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m on a weighbridge right now trying to get 30mins in ha.

Mikey D:
I never really did get the advantage of poa over break :unamused: , maybe in I wasn’t paying attention during my cpc lesson :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless you get pay stopped for breaks then there is in fact no advantage of POA over break.

Conor:
Good job you never drove on paper tachos…

But I did, on multidrop too. With a pad sat next to me that looked like something from a 70s Open University blackboard.

I often use break on a bay or delivery so I can then choose where and when I actually break. For example if I have two hours driving left but know my next drop or collection is three hours away I put it on break so I can get there or somewhere near and have a break when I choose rather than have to pick a random crappy layby when time runs out

PaulNowak:
Unless I’m physically involved in tipping, goes on break. If you get stuck somewhere it can give you another 15hr day (££££££) and it means that you that you can manage your time better, ie, later on in the day you’ll be able to have a break where you want one, and not where your tacho dictates you need one. Depending on what tacho you have, POA can over complicate things and reset your tacho time when it’s actually not reset, so it’s just a faff. I tried for a bit when I started on artics, and got a couple of infringements, don’t get them if you bang it on break.

Exactly!