POA

so ive been driving 3 years and up till now I haven’t used poa I have just used break and never been brought up on it as far as im aware break and poa does the same for working time hours (keeping them down to comply with the maximum working week ) but my current employer says I need to use it as break isn’t sufficient enough…anyone care to shed some light on it??

jimmypk:
so ive been driving 3 years and up till now I haven’t used poa I have just used break and never been brought up on it as far as im aware break and poa does the same for working time hours (keeping them down to comply with the maximum working week ) but my current employer says I need to use it as break isn’t sufficient enough…anyone care to shed some light on it??

Shed some light on what, it’s your employers personal preference and has nothing to do with the law so you’ll have to ask him/her why they want you to use POA rather than break.

Remember though that legally you cannot use POA unless you know in advance how long you’ll be waiting.

a driver had exceeded his working time in the week and was told to use poa to bring the time down. but my argument is use break its easier but he was told he has to use poa for some of his time I when hes unloading or waiting to get on the bay… I suppose my question is there is no real difference if you were to use either… they would both do the same regards working time ?

your employer is a cokc simples :wink:

As far as working time is concerned there’s no difference between break and POA, neither of them count towards working time so I can’t see why your employer would say use POA.

Personally I’d prefer to use break, POA messes with the driving time displayed on a digital tachograph so you may need to manually keep track of driving time when using POA.

When you say he was told to use POA when unloading I assume you don’t unload yourselves.

nick2008:

Why beat bout the bush, just say what you mean :smiley:

no we don’t its container work just plonk it on a bay and wait

jimmypk:

Break has less legal requirements than POA so getting into any hot water is less by using break

If you do not get paid for recorded breaks then that would be different …

tachograph:

nick2008:

Why beat bout the bush, just say what you mean :smiley:

it’s said with that French accent from the copper in Allo Allo :wink: :wink:

ROG:

jimmypk:

Break has less legal requirements than POA so getting into any hot water is less by using break

If you do not get paid for recorded breaks then that would be different …

One of the agencies I’m with had on their time sheets, “Time less breaks”. One would assume they don’t pay for your break?

jimmypk:

A lot of Companies analyse a Drivers day to determine where delays occur so that they can schedule the day accordingly.
No point in scheduling a days work if one part of the day is a known poor tip,nothing worse than Drivers having to "break their neck"to complete a days work because the scheduling is wrong
Using break mode continuously instead of POA does not give a true reading,they can`t tell if a Driver is actually loading / unloading or taking a liberty and having extra break.

lolipop:
A lot of Companies analyse a Drivers day to determine where delays occur so that they can schedule the day accordingly.
No point in scheduling a days work if one part of the day is a known poor tip,nothing worse than Drivers having to "break their neck"to complete a days work because the scheduling is wrong
Using break mode continuously instead of POA does not give a true reading,they can`t tell if a Driver is actually loading / unloading or taking a liberty and having extra break.

Alternatively the firm could actually ask the driver where he was getting held up & adjust their scheduling accordingly!!!