Breaks

toonsy:
Thats a glimpse into Brexit future when working conditions have been “looked at” by our current government [emoji38]

We gave always been “free” to have better pay and conditions. What “freedoms” are we now getting?

robroy:

shullbit:
It really is quite simple. A break is any period in which a driver may not carry out any driving or other work blah blah blah gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours If i know i am not going to have to do any other work when i am on a bay then i can have a break, perfectly legal, there is no grey area.

Don’t think anybody said there was a 'grey area’s tbh mate.
We were just debating as to whether or not a driver can, will, or is willing to… lose money over it.

I know bud, i am just saying it from my point of view that there is no grey area

To put it simply.

Yes, but only if it benefits you.

that is all that matters.

Franglais:

toonsy:
Thats a glimpse into Brexit future when working conditions have been “looked at” by our current government [emoji38]

We gave always been “free” to have better pay and conditions. What “freedoms” are we now getting?

Obviously the type of ‘freedoms’ that we had before 1973 and before the Thatcher union ‘reforms’ of the 1980’s.
Given a real labour government that isn’t happy to stand by while Brit workers first have the right to strike taken away v their Euro counterparts.Then the labour market is rigged with the lowest expectation race to the bottom imported EE labour force.
Cynically chucked under the bus for the greater euro collective.
Brexit doesn’t mean Tory.
While Thatcher’s version of remain obviously did mean just that.

robroy:
There are a few ways of looking at this.
First, the answer to your question is Yes. (Unless one of the tacho regulation nazis on here come on and shoot me down in flames that is :smiley: )

The way I see it is a break is not something you should have to ‘get in’, breaks are there to benefit you as a driver, not something for your boss to fit in between getting tipped and loaded, as sometimes in that situation you end up having to take your break (in terms of general tiredness) when you don’t really need it, then when you set back off, and maybe feel a bit tired, they’ll probably expect you to work through it (I personally wouldn’t but there are idiots out there who do :unamused: )

The time spent on the bay can be/is construed as work, where you get paid for it, where as if you take your 45 you ain’t getting paid. :bulb:
I will take a break on a bay to benefit myself in one way or another, but I ALWAYS make sure I take a proper break further on in the day.

Like everything else in this crap job mate, …It all depends on how your firm treats you, if they want everything done by the book, and are complete arses also, then you can hit them with their own stick by arguing my last point, but if they are a good firm who respects you, then we can all work in together…give and take.
Ie…In my book they reap what they sow.

The best way to look at it is it’s always best to minimise breaks by taking them in the most strategic way possible ‘if’ it gets you finished/home sooner.
Anything else is for mugs.No point in taking a 45 on a loading dock, instead of an hour at a favourite decent stop, if it doesn’t then create an earlier finish as a result.

I’m surprised the comment about “ Vosa being parked outside RDC’s to check your taco when you come out, to make sure you weren’t having a break on the bay ‘ hasn’t been made !!!

mr bluecity:
I’m surprised the comment about “ Vosa being parked outside RDC’s to check your taco when you come out, to make sure you weren’t having a break on the bay ‘ hasn’t been made !!!

Uncoupling/coupling helping to load tip etc etc on break maybe. :bulb:

robroy:

Happy Trucker1:
Oops look like I have started a debate.
Definitely not looking to be a tear arse and get back to the yard.
Firstly we to much distance and hours to be charging about.
Just sometimes it’s to my benefit to how my day is going to break on bays (occasionally and when it suits )
Thanks

Yep as I said I’ll sometimes do the same for whatever reason.
But tell me you don’t forfeit 45 mins pay for doing so,.and that you take a proper break later on in day when it suits or is appropriate.

Ah well, he didn’t tell me, so I’m assuming he does just that. :neutral_face:
So over a 5 day wk (assuming he does it every shift) it equates to 3 and three quarter hour’s pay given back to his guvnor per week, or 14 hours a month …ah well, hey oh as they say. :neutral_face: