Breaks

After a recent post by ajdavis64 about how to do slightly more minutes driving before needing a statutory break. I got to thinking,is this the only industry where the workers consider they have too much break time?
If you worked in a warehouse would you look for ways to shorten your dinner hour or tea break?
It really defeats me when my colleagues tell me how they put the tacho on break while tipping,to get home earlier, therefore avoiding another hours pay! :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :cry:

I put it on break when unloading as I would rather get home earlier than spend an extra 45mins in work, plus I am on a salary not an hourly rate.

we got warned about this practice,because the chart shows a darker line when tipping on break with the engine on,i don,t bother now,quite enjoy my breaks to the full thank you…and paid hourly…

I want to answer your question, but there are to many answers, this industry is unlike any other.

If im tipping or getting loaded I usually put it on break if i know im gonna be stationary for a certain amount of time. I get a basic salary and then my money is boosted on what the truck earns so time is money :smiley:

ajdavis64:
I want to answer your question, but there are to many answers, this industry is unlike any other.

Oh I know. Ive been in it since 1972 ! If you can teach me anything,oh please do tell.

It’s only worth doing if you don’t lose any money for doing it, and you benefit in some decent way too.
If you’re tramping, why bother? However, on a job and finish day run, or salary paid position, I can see the appeal, getting home earlier for the same money. If you’re hourly paid, then don’t do it, you’re giving them your labour for free! Do it on the card, then sit down, and take a decent break later.

look at this if you working on your break what’s the point of the break your entitled to the break and most companies work you break in to the pay structure,

so lets look at you going home early if you finish you day early the boss could put more work on you if you contract says 9 to 5 and you finish at 4 you go home all well and good and you got paid till 5 but when the bosses see you do this and then there can make you work till 5 and you have not got a leg to stand on, what you going to say, well boss i worked on my break, what do you think he/she will say, well that’s your fault not mine there have you over a barrel.

and then the big one will come he/she will tell you not to do it and may put it in writing, and then there covered, you get stopped you get done and there will park you up

Dunno then?:

ajdavis64:

Oh I know. Ive been in it since 1972 ! If you can teach me anything,oh please do tell.

What you gettin at? lol.
Ive been in it since 1988
Dont care how long you been doing it, I bet youv’e learned something new in the last 3 years!

ajdavis64:

Dunno then?:

ajdavis64:

What you gettin at? lol.
Ive been in it since 1988
Dont care how long you been doing it, I bet youv’e learned something new in the last 3 years!

Oh and i did learn ya there was 2 types of adblue lol.

I will tip on break when it benefits me not the company.

If i’m held up at any tipping point then it goes on break if it’s the right time of day, :smiley:

Don’t want to take it too early or i’ll end having another 45 break 20 mins from the yard. :open_mouth:

I’m payed basic plus percentage so time is money :wink:

and that 15 min break could also determin wether you get tipped/loaded later in the day, costing you money.