Best route from East Yorkshire to Dundee?

Anyone recommend best route for Hull to Dundee please?
Have been advised to avoid A1 as much as possible due to speed cameras & slow traffic.
Also any advice on truckstops/stopping areas between Glasgow & Dundee?

Thanks for any help

1079 to york
a64 west
a1237
a59
a1
a66
m6
m74
m73
a80
m80
m9
a9
m90
a90
I hope that helps i do that run alot it seems the quickest

I would use the A1-A66-M6-M74-M73-A80-M80-A9-A90.
You’ve got a few options on the parking front.
1 Stirling services :imp: :imp: :imp:
2 lorry park (cant remember the name) on the old A9 Falkirk rd Bannockburn.
come off the M80 at junc 9 on to A91 right on to the A9 park is half mile on
left.
3 Kildean market Stirling just of junc 10 M80.
4 lorry park/cafe just off the A90 near Inchure.

Hope this of some help mate.

Why would you go all the way over the A66 and up the M6/M74/M73 when theres a perfectly good road up the East Coast?

Some of the A1 is still single carriageway but alot has now been dualled and you just can’t beat the scenery of the Northumbrian coast (untill you get to the Scottish Highlands of course).

That would be my choice of route!

zebadee:
Why would you go all the way over the A66 and up the M6/M74/M73 when theres a perfectly good road up the East Coast?

Some of the A1 is still single carriageway but alot has now been dualled and you just can’t beat the scenery of the Northumbrian coast (untill you get to the Scottish Highlands of course).

i used to go over the a66 most of the time but if i was having a steady run i would have definatley gone up the a1. its been quite a few years since ive used the a1 but would like to see how much it has changed.

also from leeds it used tobe 4. 10 mins to bothwell m73 way and 4 1/2 onto edinburgh bypass the a1.

zebadee:

Apart from the fact that there are far to many camers on the A1 north of Newcastle, my main reason for advising the A66- M74 route is to avoid the Edinburgh city bypass. Major road works at Sheriff hall are causing a few problems at the moment

From the A1 take the 697 to Coldstream untill you hit the 68 through to Dalkeith, never much traffic, Caf’e at Powburn, it works for me.

dieseldog6:
From the A1 take the 697 to Coldstream untill you hit the 68 through to Dalkeith, never much traffic, Caf’e at Powburn, it works for me.

The 697 at powburn is closed at the moment due a land slide after all the rain.
The way i would go from hull is M62,A1 ,A720 ect yes there are a lot of cameras on the A1 but just look out for them they are nearly all sign posted or are in good view,just beware of the one at cockburnspath as it is on a downhill slope with two lanes going up hill in the opposite direction,catches a lot of lorry drivers,caught a few of our transporters in one day ,and another one of our drivers twice in the same day,who then lost his licence for a few months due to totting up.

I am puzzled: Why do the camers bother you?

Surely you obey the speed limit at all times so the cameras don’t matter.

alfa man:

zebadee:

Apart from the fact that there are far to many camers on the A1 north of Newcastle, my main reason for advising the A66- M74 route is to avoid the Edinburgh city bypass. Major road works at Sheriff hall are causing a few problems at the moment

there arent that many scameras and you can see them all in plenty of time. there are around 6 in total on the SC sections. the DC sections shouldnt pose too much of a problem anyway. i would use the A1 rather than go all the way over to the M6

dean0:
1079 to york
a64 west
a1237
a59
a1
a66
m6
m74
m73
a80
m80
m9
a9
m90
a90
I hope that helps i do that run alot it seems the quickest

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.
Deano, how long does it take you from Hull to Dundee?

Depends which way you are going time of day traffic etc apart form that you should be able to do it in a 9 hr drive with plenty of time to spare

Yes I would go up the A1 A720 M9 A9

The A697 is still closed due to flooding also they were talkin about putin weight restriction in Coldstream

As has been said there are not many speed cameras on the A1 and are very clearly marked and can been seen in plenty of time

But you could have a look at a good map and see for your self as well

On average it will take me about 8 hours that’s at 54 mph

zebadee:
you just can’t beat the scenery of the Northumbrian coast

Here Here.

Ken.

Lady P:
Depends which way you are going time of day traffic etc apart form that you should be able to do it in a 9 hr drive with plenty of time to spare

Yes I would go up the A1 A720 M9 A9

which dundee are you going to? the one i passed yesterday was on the A90. unless you take the scenic route (A9 to inverness, A96 to aberdeen, A90 to dundee) :laughing:

take the A1, A720, M8, M9, M90 (crossing the forth road bridge, its free now) which takes you straight up to dundee

It is still quickest over Brough and Bowes moor. Although I agree the scenery is nice on the East coast

i would go with whatever mood i was in when i reached scotch corner =

plenty of time and a nice day, it would be A1

bit pushed and rainy it would be M74

jessicas dad:
i would go with whatever mood i was in when i reached scotch corner =

plenty of time and a nice day, it would be A1

bit pushed and rainy it would be M74

A deciding factor would be the food too, there are more and better eating places on the ■■■■■■■■ route, they are a bit sparce up the East Coast