Fastest trucking route Hull to Dundee?

Any help appreciated as to fastest route please.

A63, M62, A1, A720, M8/9, A90/M90

Only down side to this route is the A1 top side morpeth is mainly single carrageway

I’m from Perth an the route most Scottish truckers would take is M62-A1-A66-M6-M74-M73-M80-A9-M90-A90 Dundee, going straight up A1 is more trouble than its worth and takes longer

RIZZO101:
I’m from Perth an the route most Scottish truckers would take is M62-A1-A66-M6-M74-M73-M80-A9-M90-A90 Dundee, going straight up A1 is more trouble than its worth and takes longer

+1

Thanks. Tried both ways and couldn’t decide between th 2.

coreysboys:
Thanks. Tried both ways and couldn’t decide between th 2.

I’m from newcastle and I would use the 66 …

RIZZO101:

Done this journey many times this is the route I always found the best.

head north.

happysack:

RIZZO101:

+1

• dozens more. Even with the Edinburgh bypass it is still a pain in the arse on the A1 from the Tyne north

A1 route is nice BUT one snag or prang and you are stuffed. (I know same could be said for A66 but its a lot better now)

Is our resident moderator frae The Kingdom of Fife no oota bed yet? :laughing:

Inselaffe:
Is our resident moderator frae The Kingdom of Fife no oota bed yet? :laughing:

Cheeky bugger :slight_smile:

From Stirling, its 20 to 30 minutes quicker going 74 - 6 - 66 - A1 etc. But to Perth and Dundee you have to come all the way back East again. So I think it would be slightly quicker staying on the A1. That would be easily be altered if you hit bad traffic on the Newcastle and Embra bypasses. On the other hand Glasgow and Whatsitcalled can be a PITA as well.
I’d try both routes and keep a record of times and timings, and then use whichever one suited the time of day better. Or I might just vary my route to save getting hacked off using the same flamin route every flamin time :smiley:

Go up one way, come back the other and vary the journey.

you would go east to west to head back east again :question:
most of the A1 is fine if you either stick to the speed limit or know where the scameras are and the last one northbound is just before the roundabout at cockburnspath/cove. a couple of miles after that the dual carriageway starts and you have 2 lanes all the way to dundee from there with no more scameras to worry about (there are scameras but you wont trigger them at 56 on dual carriageways).

the edinburgh bypass is only stop/start during rush hour. avoid 7.30am to 0930am and 4.30pm to 5.30pm and it should be steady

speed camera locations:

1. past morpeth, goes to single carriageway. a camera 1 mile after the dual carriageway ends
  2. after the dual carriageway passing alnick, single carriageway there is a camera just past a junction before the next dual carriageway with a matrix warning sign that lights up as you approach the camera
  3. cross the first 2 roundabouts at berwick, there is a camera at the bottom of the hill after you cross the river
  4. cross the border, the dual carriageway ends and there is a camera just as you start to climb the hill
  5. a couple of miles after that there is a camera at the junction for eyemouth
  6. 3 or 4 miles after that one there is a camera on a bend
  7. pass a turn off for cockburnspath at the end of a dual carriageway and go downhill with 2 lanes on the other side of the road. there is a camera as you go down the hill

there may be mobile vans operating too but this list covers all static cameras that you would trigger. none of the cameras on the other side will worry you

Something else to add to the equation. Weather, especially at this time of year.
Strong winds and heavy snow can shut the 66.
If you know early enough, you can stay on the East coast. But if you only find out half way down the 74, you’ll lose at least 30 minutes, if not a lot more, getting back over to the East side.

Conor:
Go up one way, come back the other and vary the journey.

What I would do too.

Does nobody use the A697 thought Wooler and on to the A68 these days, nice scenic route that cuts off the Berwick corner.

Waco:
Does nobody use the A697 thought Wooler and on to the A68 these days, nice scenic route that cuts off the Berwick corner.

only when the A1 is shut. too narrow, twisty and hilly compared to the easy drive on the A1 plus the villages are a pain to negotiate when you take up what is left of the road as you pass the parked cars

Waco:

I always go this way when I’m running light

Only downside to using the 66 and up that side is you miss the lass with the marvelous wobbly bits just north of Berwick!!! :smiley: