ROUTE HELP.

Im going to Scotland in a few weeks for a wee holiday in my car.

Whats the best route for you guys is it a1 all the way or a66?.

I am going to Kinross on the east side so im struggling to see any benefit from going over the 66.

If anyone is from that area and wants top meet up for a beer let me know.

depends which bit of Scotland you’re aiming for really.

If it’s Glasgow and the West Coast, then the A68 and up the M6/M74, or maybe slightly better the A66 to get across country. Both have pretty good scenery if you’re inclined to slow down and see it. Watch out for the wagons though, especially the ones with Irish phone numbers on them.

If you’re heading for auld reekie or the East Coast then the A1 is ok all the way, athough there are more scenic routes, like the A68 to the borders, or A1/A697 which brings you up and over Carter Bar (great viewing point)

HTH

The A1 is a nice drive but you could well get stuck behind a ■■■■■■■ lorry & it’s 40 all the way!!

The only advantage of the A1 is you pass close to the Geordie Angel…& I find its a quieter road. When you cross the border they are very generous with the Gatso`s…One for every mile ,I think…?

Fred:
depends which bit of Scotland you’re aiming for really.

If it’s Glasgow and the West Coast, then the A68 and up the M6/M74, or maybe slightly better the A66 to get across country. Both have pretty good scenery if you’re inclined to slow down and see it. Watch out for the wagons though, especially the ones with Irish phone numbers on them.

If you’re heading for auld reekie or the East Coast then the A1 is ok all the way, athough there are more scenic routes, like the A68 to the borders, or A1/A697 which brings you up and over Carter Bar (great viewing point)

HTH

Would agree with this.
Are you planning on coming up to the Highlands at all? Be good to meet another T/Net member and have a few beers.

No Highlander the furthest up ill be is Perth , I’ll be campoing near Kinross for a day or two my mother lives in Milnathort so im just using some holidays up to go and see her for a day or two.

I wont be far from Kinross Services though if your on a night out or stopping there for a while i could come down and say hello.

Hi Jammymutt, I’d suggest the A66 over to the M6/M74 if your wanting to get up in a reasonable time as it’s faster road and good distribution to Central Scotland again via M73/A80 . They’ve taken out Auchenkilns Roundabout at ■■■■■■■■■■■ which has helped the flow no end. If your wanting a picturesque long slow run then as someone suggested the A68 is the one. The A1 is ok, full of Gatsos and very boring, and if you hit Edinburgh at the wrong time (most of the day) it’s a pain in the backside getting around or through it, although it’s certainly more direct for Kinross. I’d still do M6/M74/M73/A80/ M80/M9/A91, the only ‘slow’ bit being the 91 between Stirling and Milnathort (Kinross) Enjoy yourself when you get here :wink:

I would go the A1 route personally Jammynut. Better views and nicer places to stop off at(just watch the speed cameras). Pretty straight forward,.Straight up the A1, and then just south of Edinburgh, take the A720 ( Edinburgh by-bass) and follow the signs for the Forth road bridge. Once on the bridge its a straight road up the M90 to jtn 6. It really depends on how you plan to travel. If your taking your time and want to do a bit of sight seeing, you could take the A696 just off the A1 at Newcastle, or nip across the A69 and take the A68, both will still bring you onto the by-bass(A720) at Edinburgh. If you know all these routes I apologise, but I rarely get the chance to post on site. Hope you enjoy your trip to Scotland.

No problem i know most of the routes im just curious as to which way any trucker would go if they were just in their car.

If time wasn`t a problem, coming from the East of England I would personally travel up the A1, and then take the A697 North of Morpeth, up to the Edinbrgh by-pass(A720).

quite a few suggestions there to sort through,the best advice i can give you, depending on what time your passing Gateshead/Newcastle if it’s rush hour time 08.00 or 16.30 take A1M to J65 then A194M to tyne tunnel, £1.00 toll for car £1.20 for truck

It has often taken me over an hour from the A69/A1 junction for the 9 miles home

jammymutt:
No Highlander the furthest up ill be is Perth , I’ll be campoing near Kinross for a day or two my mother lives in Milnathort so im just using some holidays up to go and see her for a day or two.

I wont be far from Kinross Services though if your on a night out or stopping there for a while i could come down and say hello.

if you get bored or fancy going up the M9 instead of A90, you will pass by me. im off work for the time being so give me a shout if you fancy a coffee break :smiley: