Best job you have had?

Best job I ever had?

Test driver for Supacat! Jackal, HMT600, HMT800 and 8X8 artic!

Playing with real size Tonka toys in the woods day and night. One hour on, one hour off and £15 per hour for every hour I was on shift.

Only lasted 9 months though as all the testing was completed on schedule.

I do keep looking to see if the next bit of new kit needs a damned good thrash!

Depends what you mean by the best, best paid was the last one on the car transporters, loved every minute of it but got laid off 6 weeks ago, lucky for me got another straight away and its not bad either, its own account work, decent tackle, no backloads, money not bad and very busy,and no hassle from the office a real doddle, fingers crossed it stays that way.

My current one. Short hours, easy work, good tackle and more money than anywhere else in the area. :sunglasses:

It’s what they call a “retirement job”,which is why the place is crawling with ex-Abnormal Loads types, ex-European drivers and over 60s…Oh, and Geordies, but you can’t have everything… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

For money this one:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ight=diary

Really good money as for class 2 and I enjoyed it most of the time

For atmosphere and beautifull places to go:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ight=diary

Get the second job, remove salary and heavy lifting, give me my own van, than stick my salary from first job to it and I am a happy man :wink:

Best job I had was working for Stobarts, on the Drawbars, unbelievably easy ,short hours but you were guarnteed 50 hours a week, anyway

DS074:

MR VAIN:
BARTRUMS. i’m 2nd longest serving subbie, been there over 2 years. Used to move on every 3-6 months, can’t envisage ever pulling for anyone else, i really do feel like part of the team. Last count there were 17 of us, i don’t know how the rest of them feel, but i like it.

OMG! Somebody actually happy with what they do! Thats a new one! :smiley:

Nice truck BTW

Yeah thats the truth. I really believe in MONEY DON’T BUY HAPPINESS, BUT IT SURE DOES TAKE THE STING OUT OF BEING MISERABLE!

best job Ive ever had was driving a little 7.5 tonner with hiab for a contractor who did railway station maintenance ,
used to collect the wagon arrive on site unload gear, get back in cab and sleep.read,eat etc for 8 hours then load it all back up and back to yard,
sometimes youd have to go and collect materials but that was rare, and used to come home with £350 a week after tax for doin nowt :smiley:

has to be my 1st job after passing class test at 21 started by doing groupage deliveries all over the uk then move onto volvo F12 doing europe all for cavewood transport good times

best job ever the one i have now shell tanker driver :smiley:

best paid/enjoyable job,when first passed me class1 6yrs ago,got straight on with an agency tramping for canutes (gamston airport) and tramping for phil hanleys (pre innovate),regular taking home £800-£900 every week,did that for a year,then got “talked into” being owner driver for tarmac topblock,which was ok for a few years,now been independant for nearly 2 yrs and doing well.

andy bilton:
best paid/enjoyable job,when first passed me class1 6yrs ago,got straight on with an agency tramping for canutes (gamston airport) and tramping for phil hanleys (pre innovate),regular taking home £800-£900 every week,did that for a year,then got “talked into” being owner driver for tarmac topblock,which was ok for a few years,now been independant for nearly 2 yrs and doing well.

Your best job was at RH andy where you got loads of cash for doing nowt!..
Apart from dealing with moody drivers who also didn`t want to do owt :laughing: :laughing:
(i know it was a difficult job dont get yer knickers in a twist :laughing: :laughing: :wink: )

Can’t really pick a best job they’ve all had good and bad points.

But these are a few that I look back on with some affection. :smiley:

UK tramping, pulling tilts. Trucks weren’t the best kit, old and underpowered, pay not top notch. But top boss who left you alone to organise your work, but would always back you up if you had a problem. Good workmates and working at your own pace and plenty of variety of loads and routes.

Civi Driver for the USAF at Mildenhall, loads of different kit to play with all of which you would be properly trained to use. No tachos, but short hours. And the Americans were generally more polite and freindly than dealing with my fellow countrymen.

Motorsport Truckie. Good pay, Worldwide travel, Good kit, all expenses paid including alcohol, within reason. :laughing: being part of a team, especially when it’s a winning team. Downside: to many inflated ego’s trying to be top dog and this isn’t the drivers, they are mostly polite and respectfull. Even when they get into F1 they still say hi! when they meet you. But there are so many people that seem to have problems with thier self esteem and use being in motoracing to make them feel important. :frowning:

Two jobs for me.

Army and Tower crane driver. Difficult to chose one over the other as they have different aspects to the job. Money wise has to be when I was a Tower Crane driver. I was taking home £400 a week in 1990!!! :smiley:

being in a convoy along with 6 other units going to hull docks to transfer them to russia or somewhere far away

best paid job I had was in 1973/74, driving a 32 ton low loader with companies own plant and equipment to power stations etc.
basic wage 40 hours was £27.50 p, average wage per week was £250. (multiply today basic by ten!), but not for 40 hours. :laughing:
An absolute fortune in those days.
sadly the company went bust.

I think the best job i ever did was on the agency for Bibby Distribution on the Budweiser contract out off Bicester park,good money,clean and tidy wagons and noboby ringing you ever 5 minutes (was on nights most of the time) :smiley:

[,regular taking home £800-£900 every week,did that for a year,

£60,000 a year, :open_mouth: so thats why inovate went bust…

Call me a sceptic, but I do not believe you earned £60,000 a year driving a Truck.
The Trucks earnings might of been that, but the wage for the driver :wink: …I could be wrong…but I doubt it

the best job i ever had was driving for convoys out of deptford from 1984 to 1990 job and finish £500 a week, strict unoin control that was why it paid so good, now i drive a dust cart 4 days on 5 days off 4 days on 2 days off and so it goes around, £45o a week job and finish usually done by 1300 hours also recession proof.

I have had 2 good jobs. My 1 good job was when i left school started as a 2man and worked my way up to class 1 driver on uk/european work only left after bibby’s toke us over and stopped it all.The job i have at the mo is a good job to i am working for a events company doing all the music festival in the uk. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

kindle530:

gogzy:

kindle530:

DS074:
Living the dream in the big green machine Igamston…Stobart.

Didnt the signature and avatar give you a clue? LOL

Who do you work for?

There are most definatly 3 types of wagon drivers DS704 :stuck_out_tongue:
im at TransAm Trucking, doing rock’n’roll tours all over Europe and beyond,( as far north as above the arctic circle, and south to Turkey, sometimes beyond, Russia isnt uncommon, euromat will be there in a week or two) we run legal, good kit, very good money, get loads of days off whilst at work, and on full pay!(im on my 4th day off sitting in Bournmouth at min, havent turned a wheel and still earnt an obscene amount of money for the 4 days:D ) we get to see the concerts for free, we get fed and watered for free (and thats not fry ups every day), we get free towels to use for showers at the venues we are at, see lots of lovely women, and sometimes meet the ‘stars’, dont have to load/unload our trucks, they get people in to do that for us. We know if, for example, we are going on a 3 month tour where we will be on every single day of those 3 months, before we even leave the yard. Your quite welcome to keep living your dream mate! im happy living mine!

i think anyone would do anything for your job, i sent a cv into your lot and to stagetruck

heard nout back though.

give em a ring mate, you got to keep chasing em up, unfortunatly thats how they are when its quiet, when theyre busy they wont leave you alone!
DS074, my job is still good mate, nearly on 4 figure wages (take home) and am single, no kids, no need to want to go home! :smiley: 3 months away is an example, ive been away a lot longer than that in one go! each to their own mate :smiley: :wink:

are you guys quiet right now? and is that 4 figure sum every week?