Whats your best job ever!

What’s the best firm you’ve ever worked for?
The pay, the vehicles, the office staff, the general terms and conditions.
And when was it?

Got to be this one, the boss wouldn’t like it otherwise :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Same here, my present job.

Treated with respect, mutual respect that is, well paid with good conditions, sensible hours and no POA crap, short working week and home every night, good well maintained equipment.

Do your job well and treat the most important person in the company, the customer, as they should be…then look after the motors and don’t take the ■■■■ out of the excellent terms and you’re laughing.

Hope to see me time out here.

See its not all doom and gloom out there.

Best would be working as an Owner Driver with an F12 Volvo & my own trailer back in the late 80’s, doing Spain & actually making money on every trip!!

Easiest is simple, the one I’ve got now without doubt, nothing fantastic equipment wise but a very low mileage 06 Stralis 480 doing tank containers, mostly lift on, lift off but a couple of days a week we do tip & load them. Rarely ever start before 05:30 & finished most days by 4:30pm, tomorrow; tip a tank in Bradford & take the empty (dirty) to Seaforth for export, p/u 2 (ADR) empties there & take them for lift off in Ellesmere Port, then Freightliner Garston & collect loaded tank & return to yard ready for Thursday.

That’s ‘my whip’!! (sorry, been watching too many films :confused: but don’t knock Iveco’s, you’d probably like this one if you had the chance, it pulls like a train, nice and quiet & nice cold air-con :wink:)

Ross.

I worked for quiz clothing at their head office burds galore, the christmas night out was like 300 women and 10 guys.

My best job was being a flair bartender at tgi fridays.More women than you could shake your stick at and used to go home with at least £50 a night in tips, and loads of free drins!

Either I’m lucky or have lower expectations or I’m just realistic about work, so I’ve had several jobs (not all as a truck driver) with good and bad bits.

As truck driving jobs go, my first one, tramping, doing multi drops with tilts driving a Renault G290, pay not the best but not the worst. Doesn’t sound promising, but nice people to work for who treated you like a person and a great bunch of lads. Loads of banter, loads of jokes, good family atmosphere.
Went back many times, but sadly the company isn’t what it was, but the boss is now a good mate and has help me out when I’ve needed a driver in the past.

Working on agency for the logistics unit at RAF Mildenhall, no tachographs, loads of different kit, easy hours, proper training interesting place to work and interesting people that don’t call you “drive”, but “Sir”. :laughing:

Working for a GP2 racing team, loads of travel, really interesting job, met loads of interesting people, great kit, proper respect for what you do, good money and conditions, from the moment I left our base to the moment I returned I didn’t have to pay for anything including all my meals, snacks and drinks and always stayed in hotels.

Present job is pretty good, but waiting to see if it will be the best job. Still motorsport, but in a company that does more than motorsport and is always looking to expand into new markets. If some of the things in the pipeline happen it could have real potential to be the best job yet. :smiley:

I’m not sure, I’ve had a few really good ones.

Ware Transport on nights, lot of hours, lots of drops, badly maintained trailers, good units, pain in the harris bonding cord, nice wedge at the end of the week and a decent group of lads to work with.
I couldn’t handle nights on HGV’s, I’d done nights before coming to HGV’s on busses, coaches and taxi’s, but it’s a different ball game to 4hrs on an unlit motorway at 3am, and I’ll admit, that’s down to me.

Maritime, good kit, good money, easy job, ■■■■ planners and worse bosses (Manchester followed by Leeds, 2 exceptions at Manchester, Steve was great and the chubby lad, can’t remember his name, once we’d got ourselves sorted, was a great lad).

Roadways, crap trucks, old skel’s (leaf springs, no abs, removing light covers and bulbs, ratchet hand brakes etc), but good money, easy work and knew all the staff by name and face and there was no ■■■■ taking - well except when I reversed over a plastic bollard and was on film ‘hugging it’ trying to stand it back up :blush: :laughing:

Turners, remote base so no bosses as such, nice-ish truck (10 plate Daf CF), own vehicle, own trailer, work over PDA so very little dealings with people in charge (that suits me), easy work and good money every week, planner’s didn’t have a clue, tried to take the ■■■■ and disgracefull ending of employment.

Current agency job is easy work, good truck (although old and very high mileage), but full time driver wanted so won’t last due to it paying a pitiful amount.

bigr250:
Best would be working as an Owner Driver with an F12 Volvo & my own trailer back in the late 80’s, doing Spain & actually making money on every trip!!

Easiest is simple, the one I’ve got now without doubt, nothing fantastic equipment wise but a very low mileage 06 Stralis 480 doing tank containers, mostly lift on, lift off but a couple of days a week we do tip & load them. Rarely ever start before 05:30 & finished most days by 4:30pm, tomorrow; tip a tank in Bradford & take the empty (dirty) to Seaforth for export, p/u 2 (ADR) empties there & take them for lift off in Ellesmere Port, then Freightliner Garston & collect loaded tank & return to yard ready for Thursday.

That’s ‘my whip’!! (sorry, been watching too many films :confused: but don’t knock Iveco’s, you’d probably like this one if you had the chance, it pulls like a train, nice and quiet & nice cold air-con :wink:)

Ross.

Looks like my 1st regular truck, same year and everything. ActiveSpace3, no passenger seat, lovely machine, a bit of a pain to reverse through drainage channels or over kurbs, or was to me back then, not sure how I’d do in 1 now I’m more experienced, I’m going back to 2007, but I have VERY fond memories of that vehicle…

Best job ever? My present one; hours to suit me, heaps of holidays, sleep in my own bed every night, no early starts. The money could be better, but we still live well.
The job? Retirement! Best ten of my life. (so far!)

My best driving job ever, had to be when i woked on films out of pinewood. traveled round the whole of England ,Wales,Scotland, all the places where you would never dream a truck would go , well of the beaten track sometimes.
Also been given two weeks free time to drive to morrocco from London which we done in 4 days, then being put up in 5 star hotels and waitining for the rest of the crew and cast to arrive, being paid everyday and expenses.Worked with and met some great people and all the way had a good craic!!! Also the money was ok. done that for several years.

WORST driving job had to be when i worked for Ferrari transporting the motor homes around all the European grand prix circuits.
i know that it would be some drivers ideal job but it was absolute rubbish!! people were either very two faced or pure brown noses, and you were mainly setting up and polishing the motor homes for a week.best thing about the job was all the attention you got when driving in a convoy! ferrari red iveco and trailer all top of the range
i forgot to mention that i do not like formula one , so i suppose that this didnt realy help me !
one season was enough!!

Best job was with Lynx Express. Worked there from 2002 till I got given that horrible brown uniform to wear in 2006. Trailers were generally older than me and driving an ERF EC 11 with a heater that constanyly blew hot air. The yard was as tight as a Scotsman giving money to charity. Nobody bothered how you got the job done, as long as it got done. Sit in the canteen and drink cups of coffee while having a breather to other drivers whilst claiming for O/T. And the wages were better than I get now. even for all its faults, there was just something about working there that I loved and wish they were still on the go. I’d still be there if they were. Why oh why did UPS have to spoil a good job.:frowning:

damoq:
Best job was with Lynx Express. Worked there from 2002 till I got given that horrible brown uniform to wear in 2006. Trailers were generally older than me and driving an ERF EC 11 with a heater that constanyly blew hot air. The yard was as tight as a Scotsman giving money to charity. Nobody bothered how you got the job done, as long as it got done. Sit in the canteen and drink cups of coffee while having a breather to other drivers whilst claiming for O/T. And the wages were better than I get now. even for all its faults, there was just something about working there that I loved and wish they were still on the go. I’d still be there if they were. Why oh why did UPS have to spoil a good job.:frowning:

Because of this??

best job was working for Matchbox toys in the 90’s. Average wages, but fairly easy work and we were treated with respect. whether you were a cleaner or top sales bloke. Plenty o/t in the busy periods and the top gaffer would even come and thank us personally for our hard work. in fact, if they hadnt relocated abroad, i would still be working there now.
best driving job was for Panic. Starting from forkie in the yard, thru to locals in a 7.5 to being demoted to class one. :unamused:
decent boss, my own decent motor and nice varied work. couple of nights out a week. And i was on more 5 years ago with them on days than i am now on nights. (thanks eddie :open_mouth: )

Dukes Transport Portadown, 1980 - 1999 3 ToD’s for them :laughing: they were the best payer’s, best kit and they actually treated you ok.
Worked out of all the depot’s they had and I loved it, shame they went down they were great to work for especially if your face fitted which mine did :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

P6270099.JPG

P6270107.JPG

P6270084.JPG

P6270095.JPG

I’ve had my C + E licence almost a decade but not used it much .

Trunking from Springburn to Warrington for the Royal Mail ( agency ) was pretty decent .

This was a job I had for a few months .Airport LGV driver caterer with LSG .Good free grub and people .
Eat anything you want .Crew plane meals , standard plane meals and first class plane meals .
It’s seasonal work and only £8 ph but pretty good .Also work with the cabin crew etc .

Any job that took me into europe. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Best job was delivering flatpack furniture to building sites in London with a 7.5 tonner. Only 3 to 6 drops a day, no pressure to do them and they had no problem if you couldn’t do all drops. And when the fuel card didn’t work and I paid out of my own pocket, they paid me back with extra the same d
Easiest one is what I’m doing now, delivering newspapers to gatwick airport. Drop the waste papers at dmd in Langley, pick up 2 empty pallets, head to newsprinters at broxbourne to collect 2 pallets of telegraph, after a 2 hour break, back to dmd, unload, park up for 2 more hours, reload with papers for gatwick airport, then give the truck to the guy that does the airside deliveries, and I take 3 small pallets in a transit and deliver to 3 airport caterers and then home. 4 hours break in an 10 hour shift, and usually finished after 8 hours. Might not have the job for much longer as I’m struggling to get an airside pass, because of gaps in employment.

neil46:
Any job that took me into europe. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

you wouldn’t have to leave uk to work in europe

charliebear:
Best job was delivering flatpack furniture to building sites in London with a 7.5 tonner. Only 3 to 6 drops a day, no pressure to do them and they had no problem if you couldn’t do all drops. And when the fuel card didn’t work and I paid out of my own pocket, they paid me back with extra the same d
Easiest one is what I’m doing now, delivering newspapers to gatwick airport. Drop the waste papers at dmd in Langley, pick up 2 empty pallets, head to newsprinters at broxbourne to collect 2 pallets of telegraph, after a 2 hour break, back to dmd, unload, park up for 2 more hours, reload with papers for gatwick airport, then give the truck to the guy that does the airside deliveries, and I take 3 small pallets in a transit and deliver to 3 airport caterers and then home. 4 hours break in an 10 hour shift, and usually finished after 8 hours. Might not have the job for much longer as I’m struggling to get an airside pass, because of gaps in employment.

You not got a mate who can vouch for you, you know, you were doing some transit work or whatever?

Worked for the MOD, along came 1st November, the workload was quietening down for Xmas and the gaffer walks in the restroom, “Lads, get yourselves away home and we’ll see you first week in January” all 30 of us!
Get in! All salaried so full pay for sitting in the pub. We’re told to expect maybe the odd day back in to do the odd job but never got called.