Whats your best job ever!

C10HOO:
Worked for the MOD, along came 1st November, the workload was quietening down for Xmas and the gaffer walks in the restroom, “Lads, get yourselves away home and we’ll see you first week in January” all 30 of us!
Get in! All salaried so full pay for sitting in the pub. We’re told to expect maybe the odd day back in to do the odd job but never got called.

That’s not a gap in employment, you were still working for them, pay slips to prove it :smiley:

OOps, just noticed, I quoted you - thought it was still charliebear :blush:

I always believed the best jobs were those you got paid for whilst on full rest, rather than flat our on the best hourly rate… :smiley:

You can’t beat being paid whilst being in the pub, on the beach with the family, or asleep (the more common option!) :sunglasses:

Best job I ever had was fruit to London markets - done in 4.5hours, paid for 10. Home in time for tea!

waynedl:

charliebear:
Best job was delivering flatpack furniture to building sites in London with a 7.5 tonner. Only 3 to 6 drops a day, no pressure to do them and they had no problem if you couldn’t do all drops. And when the fuel card didn’t work and I paid out of my own pocket, they paid me back with extra the same d
Easiest one is what I’m doing now, delivering newspapers to gatwick airport. Drop the waste papers at dmd in Langley, pick up 2 empty pallets, head to newsprinters at broxbourne to collect 2 pallets of telegraph, after a 2 hour break, back to dmd, unload, park up for 2 more hours, reload with papers for gatwick airport, then give the truck to the guy that does the airside deliveries, and I take 3 small pallets in a transit and deliver to 3 airport caterers and then home. 4 hours break in an 10 hour shift, and usually finished after 8 hours. Might not have the job for much longer as I’m struggling to get an airside pass, because of gaps in employment.

You not got a mate who can vouch for you, you know, you were doing some transit work or whatever?

Yeah managed to sort that out today, difficult as 5 years ago we were all at college/uni/down the pub and usually drunk :laughing:, so everything is a bit hazy.

Best driving job was working for a print firm driving a new transit van.
Brilliant guvnors and manager, good money to.

When they closed, I could have cried!

For the laugh factor, had to be the job i got when i left school driving a road roller for a firm called Aubury Watsons with a bunch of paddys tar spraying roads back in 1984.
3 hours work in the morning, pub by 11.30 and ■■■■■■ as a hand cart by 1. :open_mouth: :laughing: Used to get about 350 a week before tax, not bad for generally dicking around all week :laughing:
Was also the first artic i ever drove, (before i got my licence) a Guy Big J with a 14L big cam and a tar tank trailer.

Oh happy days!

For me, T Baden Hardstaffs of East Leake Leicestershire, driving 8 wheel crane motor on contract all week for Tarmac Blocks mid 90’s. Mostly based at Ninfield, Arundell, Sussex away all week, good times. Then i got married :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maverick73 and Muckles…

How did you both get into Motorsport transport? I’m desperate to do this and would love to drive for a bike / gp2 / F1 team etc as I think it will be my ’ best ’ job!

Any advice? I don’t see many adverts or know where teams are based to go knocking on doors.

Thanks

Mark22_2:
Maverick73 and Muckles…

How did you both get into Motorsport transport? I’m desperate to do this and would love to drive for a bike / gp2 / F1 team etc as I think it will be my ’ best ’ job!

Any advice? I don’t see many adverts or know where teams are based to go knocking on doors.

Thanks

Its not what you know it’s who you know, a lot of team drivers start delivering for te factories and move up the chain, sometimes You may know someone and get an invitation sometimes there outside contractors. One thing I do know having worked with guys who did it for years, it’s not all it appears to be and could ruin your favourite sport for you

Current job is the best one by far. The office people are brilliant, they know the job inside out, they’ve all got class 1 licenses’. Your expected to able to do the job without your hand being held but you can always ask for help, the hours are long and you wont be going home on friday but the pay is good, no silly uniform, driver trainers etc and they run 100% legal!

lilysgranpa:
best job was working for Matchbox toys in the 90’s. Average wages, but fairly easy work and we were treated with respect. whether you were a cleaner or top sales bloke. Plenty o/t in the busy periods and the top gaffer would even come and thank us personally for our hard work. in fact, if they hadnt relocated abroad, i would still be working there now.
best driving job was for Panic. Starting from forkie in the yard, thru to locals in a 7.5 to being demoted to class one. :unamused:
decent boss, my own decent motor and nice varied work. couple of nights out a week. And i was on more 5 years ago with them on days than i am now on nights. (thanks eddie :open_mouth: )

Have to agree with you about Panic mate. Best job I ever had was working there.(UK based)
New truck, one year I got 2 in 12 months! If I hadn’t met the present Mrs Vern…I would still be there.

every driving job i’ve had has been pretty good, except for one.
commercialmotor.com/latest-n … nistration

there was a complete ■■■■ in the office, i don’t hold vedetors for long, but i will be making an exception in this case.

John Mann International without a doubt.
Paid holiday from start to finish.

Best paid job is the one I’m currently in, payed me £26k last year its hard work but pays well, being made redundant next year so going driving. The job I enjoyed the most was a job I had at 16 I was working in a kitchen on £4ph the job was ■■■■■ but the lads were amazing and we all got on.

Coombe Valley Transport :grimacing: :grimacing:

davepenn54:
Dukes Transport Portadown, 1980 - 1999 3 ToD’s for them :laughing: they were the best payer’s, best kit and they actually treated you ok.
Worked out of all the depot’s they had and I loved it, shame they went down they were great to work for especially if your face fitted which mine did :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

You must have worked there when my Mate Roger did - he said they treated him really well, kept paying him whilst he was off for months with family problems

Best job ever, refuelling aircraft at both Luton and Birmingham Airports. Did it for 6 years and then knackered my shoulder. Never settled since, and job hopped.

I agree with Damoq. Lynx Express was my best job, easy going no rushing as long as the job was done it was ok.
I just think i was riding on the coat tails of all the ex- BRS stalwarts. Miss those guys, a lot of experience between them all… :smiley:

This one. Good wage, 42 hour week (avg) four on four off. Totally legal work and vehicles, and own account work.

The one I’m in now! Good pay (by the hour) I have an 05 man xxl which isn’t bad for my first artic! Some drivers been here 15 years! Treated as a person not “just a driver” can always have good banter with the office!most of the jobs are good have good customers! Great family company! Other drivers are ok (well most of them at least) mars-jones! Merry Xmas all!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.515796,-2.657340

DTS Logistics in Enfield from 2000-2005 when the boss sold it on to Clipper! Mr Daly was a great gaffer,put me through my Class 2 in 2003 after doing multidrop ladies clothing stores in Central London for 3 years in a Luton van! Don’t think I’ll ever find a company as good as that and it wasn’t a small company either! Great bunch of workmates. Only one or two divs!! :sunglasses: