Bad smash on the A1

went up the a1 this morning north bound past dony, road very quiet as you’d expect at 12.30, all the layby’s were full as normal, coming back, north bounds shut just top side of the elmsall turn off with what can only be described as a scene of carnage, looks like a container wagon has run into the back of the last wagon parked in one of the layby’s and shuved every wagon into the back of the one in front and out into the carriage way, my guess is the container driver has no hope with virtually nothing left of the cab and wouldn’t be suprissed if there wasn’t some serious injuries to the drivers of the vehicles in front.
doubt very much anyone will see the road open again this morning.

Thoughts to those concernd this is one of thoses things always. In the back. Of my mind when sleeping in laybys so close tomajor roads

yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n … 6635802.jp

Rip

When will more proper facilities be provided for lorry drivers. If a car breaks down on a motorway then cones will be put in place to protect it. The same dangers exist when lorries are parked in lay-bys, but that appears to be acceptable.

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased.

don’t want to speculate to much with a driver dead but it’s a strange one, when i went up this morning there was a temp lane clossure just south of here near the service station, no cones just one of these wagons with the iluminated arrow on the back and another couple of vehicles in front obviously doing some sort of quick repair, don’t know if this was anything to do with the accident but the wagon in which the driver died hadn’t drifted and clipped the one parked, he’d hit it square on as if he’d driven into the layby at fall whack.

I passed it shortly after emergancy services arrived and I didn’t think it was survivable. A right mess. My sympathies to the poor guy family.
I also hope the other drivers weren’t to badly hurt.

waddy640:
When will more proper facilities be provided for lorry drivers. If a car breaks down on a motorway then cones will be put in place to protect it. The same dangers exist when lorries are parked in lay-bys, but that appears to be acceptable.

Not really sure what your point is there mate. Theres a difference between vehicles parked up in a layby and a broken down vehicle and in any case would a few cones prevent 44 tones on truck ?

Millions of vehicles park up in laybys every single minute of the day without issue.

ajt:

waddy640:

Not really sure what your point is there mate. Theres a difference between vehicles parked up in a layby and a broken down vehicle and in any case would a few cones prevent 44 tones on truck ?

Millions of vehicles park up in laybys every single minute of the day without issue.

The point is very simple, why in this day and age is it neccesary for drivers to sleep in lay-bys?, or do they enjoy it. I certainly don’t but there are times when it is a necessity.

We are the poor relations of the human race.

Im guessing he had a heart attack or some other kind of illness happen to make him swerve in the back of a parked lorry, could be a burst tyre but police would of picked up on that. Only other thing is he swerved to avoid something and lost control :question:

waddy640:

ajt:

waddy640:

The point is very simple, why in this day and age is it neccesary for drivers to sleep in lay-bys?, or do they enjoy it. I certainly don’t but there are times when it is a necessity.

You could be parked up at any point during the day for a sleep or just to check your phone, sneaky pee etc etc and this kind of accident can happen. Where do you draw the line?

keebs26uk:
Im guessing he had a heart attack or some other kind of illness happen to make him swerve in the back of a parked lorry, could be a burst tyre but police would of picked up on that. Only other thing is he swerved to avoid something and lost control :question:

Fatigue most likely :cry:

Since it happened between 12 and 1 am driver falling asleep as to be the most likely. It’s just after a left bend I think he took the corner and didn’t straighten up.
We should have different hours for working at night and not the max work of 10 with work force opt out, as anyone ever estimated that successfully after 15 spread in the middle of the night.

waddy640:

ajt:

waddy640:

I’m surprised it is still allowed. I’m not advocating this, but local councils must know the financial advantage of running a secure local lorry park, and hauliers must know the advantage of having their trucks parked in a secure place.

Leaving the back doors open to show that there is nothing of value worth hijacking is all very well, but that just means that if the doors are shut, then maybe there is a load worth nicking.

Then there is the hygene. How many lay-bys stink of ■■■■, or worse.

And again, any waggon parked in a lay-by should be displaying parking lights.

If the driver has had a bevvy in the local pub, and he sleeps in the cab, he is in charge of the vehicle and could lose his licence, even at 3am, if the local traffic plod are bored. It has happened.

In my early days of driving there were no sleeper caps. We stopped at drivers’ B&Bs found in the handbook. Most were dives where you had to share a room with two or three other grotty blokes, but we did in those days. Many drivers were ex-army and well used to sharing living space. But the breakfasts, often at 5am, were brilliant!

Often the waggon was parked up on a nearby bomb-site, with a valuable load just secured by ropes and sheets, so things have changed a little.

When sleeper cabs came in (and I had one of the first, my firm bought the first F88 demo out of Leighton Buzzard) I use to enjoy finding a quiet lay-by, off the main road, or even off the old road that had been by-passed by a new one, such as the A74(M) where it is possible to camp up for the night next to double white lines on what is now a dead end!

But security, H&S, insurance, safety as in the case cited, and other issues may force waggons out of lay-bys soon. I can see that coming.

Tone

canaldrifter:

waddy640:

ajt:

waddy640:

I’m surprised it is still allowed. I’m not advocating this, but local councils must know the financial advantage of running a secure local lorry park, and hauliers must know the advantage of having their trucks parked in a secure place.

Leaving the back doors open to show that there is nothing of value worth hijacking is all very well, but that just means that if the doors are shut, then maybe there is a load worth nicking.

Then there is the hygene. How many lay-bys stink of ■■■■, or worse.

And again, any waggon parked in a lay-by should be displaying parking lights.

If the driver has had a bevvy in the local pub, and he sleeps in the cab, he is in charge of the vehicle and could lose his licence, even at 3am, if the local traffic plod are bored. It has happened.

In my early days of driving there were no sleeper caps. We stopped at drivers B&Bs found in the handbook. Most were dives where you had to share a room with two or three other grotty blokes, but we did in those days. Many drivers were ex-army and well used to sharing living space. But the breakfasts, often at 5am, were brilliant!

Often the waggon was parked up on a nearby bomb-site, with a valuable load just secured by ropes and sheets, so things have changed a little.

When sleeper cabs came in (and I had one of the first, my firm bought the first F88 demo out of Leighton Buzzard) I use to enjoy finding a quiet lay-by, off the main road, or even off the old road that had been by-passed by a new one, such as the A74(M) where it is possible to camp up for the night next to double white lines on what is now a dead end!

But security, H&S, insurance, safety as in the case sited, and other issues may force waggons out of lay-bys soon. I can see that coming.

Tone

I remember those days, not always happy ones.

I remember driving an F88 demo from Ailsa Trucks in Scotland, it was nothing like I had seen or driven before. It took a few years for British truck makers to get anywhere close to it.

paul b:
went up the a1 this morning north bound past dony, road very quiet as you’d expect at 12.30, all the layby’s were full as normal, coming back, north bounds shut just top side of the elmsall turn off with what can only be described as a scene of carnage, looks like a container wagon has run into the back of the last wagon parked in one of the layby’s and shuved every wagon into the back of the one in front and out into the carriage way, my guess is the container driver has no hope with virtually nothing left of the cab and wouldn’t be suprissed if there wasn’t some serious injuries to the drivers of the vehicles in front.
doubt very much anyone will see the road open again this morning.

same happened to me a couple of years ago just parked up at the haven end of donny by pas to get a paper when i came out carnage-the volvo driver (one of our eastern european freinds)said he had a double blowout up from felixstowe to leeds(can it be done in one hit-alan

felixstowe to leeds is easy in 4.5 hours… ive got passed wetherby servs and just into the roadworks in my spread.

but at night they is always a lorry or 3 that seem to drive as close as they can to a parked up lorry.
i always get well up the kerb when im parked up, even then they is always one that rocks the cab to bits :unamused:
but then i also see plenty parked up on a angle with the trl often just inches from the carrigway

Thats very sad! RIP my Condolences for the deceased family and friends.

My Condolences go to the drivers family.

It makes me thankful that for all the bull’ and beurocracy that goes on where i work, at least one good rule is that we are forbidden from layby parking, we also have to get a number for our night out when parked, and tell them where we are. and they never quible over the cost.