Back to the road

I’d hardly describe myself as a “newbie” having passed my class 1 in 1987 and spending the next 14 years driving all manner of trucks in all manner of (European) places. Fancying a change and doing one of the things on my bucket-list, I (stupidly) joined the police in 2001. I had a 12 month career break in 2008 where I came back on the road for a few months but I’ve been back in the Force since 2009.

I thoroughly hate the job as it stands and, like many of me colleagues, I’m seriously looking to come out and do something else. With my experience, the obvious choice is driving but I let my LGV licence lapse at 45yrs old. Not a problem to get it back? Maybe, the doc reckons I might have a case of sleep apnoea and I’m booked in for some preliminary tests. Obviously, if I’m diagnosed with it, that’ll be game-over on the wagon driving front and I’ll have to think of a plan B, but if I’m clear, I’m coming back to trucking.

I know lots of you will advise against it cos it’s rubbish and you get treated like crud etc etc etc but I’m a grown-up with experience of the industry and that’s what I want to do and I still have some good contacts in the game. (The police pension in my case is worse than shizz…long story, dont ask! :wink: so there’s nowt keeping me in the police)

I know I’ll have get a digicard and something called a driver CPC and I’ll be stumping up for that myself but what exactly is involved with the CPC? What should I expect?

All help and advice gratefully received!

Neil.

Cpc is 35 hours sat in a class room split into 7 hour sessions. You just have to attend

hey Neil

good luck.

I have posted a ‘similar’ thread (20 years since I was last trucking)

like you I went into a different career, government run, I have been a Midwife now for 13 years (3 as a student to 16 in total).

Unlike you I will stay in this job as although there is many frustrations to it day in and day out I have got used to these and the rewards are that my pay packet is double of what I would earn as a truck driver.

However I do miss the road and trucks so will try to get back into it slowly, look at possible early retirement and then do it part time.

I am now looking to do the CPC thing etc and my medical is on Friday (my 45th b’day was in the last few months).

how long ago has your licence expired?

nobodysdriving:
hey Neil

good luck.

I have posted a ‘similar’ thread (20 years since I was last trucking)

like you I went into a different career, government run, I have been a Midwife now for 13 years (3 as a student to 16 in total).

Unlike you I will stay in this job as although there is many frustrations to it day in and day out I have got used to these and the rewards are that my pay packet is double of what I would earn as a truck driver.

However I do miss the road and trucks so will try to get back into it slowly, look at possible early retirement and then do it part time.

I am now looking to do the CPC thing etc and my medical is on Friday (my 45th b’day was in the last few months).

how long ago has your licence expired?

Hi there…I’m 49 now, so it’s 4 years since it lapsed. Just need to get over the bloomin sleep apnoea hurdle and doc says I can have my ticket back.
Like you, my current salary is twice that of the average hourly rate for a wagon driver, however, I have 5 years experience on car transporters and don’t mind doing 2-3 nights a week in a wendyhouse cab. I was hoping to go back to that game to be honest as it does pay above the industry average.
The current situation in the police is so bad that loads of us are looking to leave at the moment and that’s a shame, cos it used to be such a good job (I imagine the NHS has gone to hell in a handcart in the same way over the last few years).

dave_garner:
Cpc is 35 hours sat in a class room split into 7 hour sessions. You just have to attend

Is it a tedious as I imagine it will be? :laughing: :wink:

Picklehoffer:

dave_garner:

I would imagine so… apparently it’s best to just get involved with the lessons than let it drag on. We all have to do it at the end of the day.
I haven’t done mine yet, got my c+e in march.

Picklehoffer:

dave_garner:

It can be depends on the instructor as not all are good mind & will tell you things that arent quite right

Get ya ADR mate before u come back it will give u more choices and also a chance to get on tanker work [emoji106]

Hi pickelhoffer,Swansea will say when you get your "ticket "■■ back, your are a wind up “ticket” is the term used by the LONDON dockers years ago defunct now.“corr blimey john”
south london boy i bet…,you will not get any pension from any transport firm.so stop where you are john.evening all.