A new start

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks looking through this forum to try and get a feel for what the job is like and there is some great stuff on here. I passed my CE in 1997 whilst in the military but haven’t driven a truck for over 10 years.

I’ve spent the last 7 years working in the public sector but I’ve had an absolute gut full and I’m jacking it in. I’ve just sent off my D4 paperwork to get my licence updated and the next step is to find a training centre where I can get some refresher training and get my CPC.

I’ve spoken to a couple of places so have an idea what’s on offer but if anyone can spare 10 minutes to add their thoughts I’d be really grateful (i know the old sweats must have seen this kind of post a 1000 time!)

Cheers Matt

You won’t make it as a limper mate, you’re meant to just get straight in the truck and wreck things! Lol

But seriously, phone up a few places and ask for an assessment drive. That way you will have an idea about how much refreshing you need, as well as who to use.

And if the assessment isn’t free, call the next one on your list…

Best of luck old sweat!!!

Sent via TPN, so it’s either lost, damaged or late…

Evil8Beezle:
if the assessment isn’t free, call the next one on your list…

Paid around £50 for my assessment drive with a training school which felt entirely reasonable considering the cost of diesel used / the minor wear and tear on the nearly new truck and the 1 hour of the instructor’s time.

I think my approx £50 investment was worth it as I passed my Cat C first time with them a couple of months later.

So based on personal experience I wouldn’t entirely dismiss the idea of having to pay for an assessment drive, but hey - if you can get a couple of free ones too - then why not? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info about the assessment drives. One thing I’m getting confused about is the 35 hours driving for CPC. Do I accrue these hours whilst doing the CPC modules and if not how do I get those hours? I take it I need 35 hours before I can get a job along with CPC.

I’ve read that much stuff I’ve clogged up my brain!!

Matt356:
Thanks for the info about the assessment drives. One thing I’m getting confused about is the 35 hours driving for CPC. Do I accrue these hours whilst doing the CPC modules and if not how do I get those hours? I take it I need 35 hours before I can get a job along with CPC.

I’ve read that much stuff I’ve clogged up my brain!!

It is not 35 hours driving for DCPC - not sure where you got that from !
The 35 hours is made up of 7 hour sessions which can be in a classroom or on the road if the training as DCPC approved for it = ask the training provider

Do you have a pre 1997 car licence :question:
If yes then you can get some of the 35 dcpc hours from C and CE training with the right provider
If no then you need to take and pass DCPC initial TESTS = modules 2 theory + module 4 practical