Are things looking up?

Hi All,

Been while since I’ve been on here but it seems from some of the posts that things seem to be picking up for Newbies. I passed my theory earlier this year but have delayed forking out for practical training on the basis that there hasn’t been any work. So, is it worth going for it now?

If I do, and manage to pass the C test before 10 Sept (I know it’s tight) does this mean that I won’t need to do the CPC, and, if that’s the case, will I be exempt from it doing the CPC even though I’d do the C+E after 10 Sept?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

MAT:
I passed my theory earlier this year but have delayed forking out for practical training on the basis that there hasn’t been any work. So, is it worth going for it now?

Certain areas of the UK seem to be picking up so perhaps doing some local research to determine what the situation is like in your area :bulb: :bulb:

MAT:
If I do, and manage to pass the C test before 10 Sept (I know it’s tight) does this mean that I won’t need to do the CPC, and, if that’s the case, will I be exempt from it doing the CPC even though I’d do the C+E after 10 Sept?

Pass C before 10 Sept and you will not have to do THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC
If you pass C before 10 Sept then you will have until 10 Sept 2014 to get your 35 hours in for THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

If you pass the C after 10 Sept, which would mean doing modules 2 and then 4 of THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC to allow you to be paid as a professional driver then you will be issued with a DQC (Driver CPC card) and that will have a 5 year expiry date on it for THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC from when you passed module 4. - pass mod 4 on 20 Sept 2009 and get DQC with 20 Sept 2014 on it.

Upgrading to C+E is NOT affected by the Driver CPC - pass C before or after 10 Sept, it don’t matter.

Thanks for clarifying that Rog. What’s your view of the work situation in the Leicestershire area?

MAT:
Thanks for clarifying that Rog. What’s your view of the work situation in the Leicestershire area?

The Leicester Jobcentreplus site has had a few more LGV jobs on it recently but most of those are agency wanting 2 years experience.
I have not noticed any perm jobs that might be available to newbies.

Member Wozzer did much recent searching in this area so perhaps a PM to him may help :bulb:
Wozzer did C and then CE and now has a perm ft job in the Northants area driving artics :smiley:

Might be worth looking further afield than this county but that means more commuting time…

ROG:
Might be worth looking further afield than this county but that means more commuting time…

but if you look at getting a tramping job witha couple of nights away each week it could mean less travel over the week.

at the moment i have to travel 15 miles to get to fowler welch, if my start time is between 0730 and 0900 it takes me roughly 45 minutes to do this distance and if i finish at between 1600 (yeah right!) and 1830ish it takes another 45mins.

the job i have just landed at littlehampton which i start on teh 15th sept is about an hour away (sticking to the speed limit) but its tramping so i will spend a hell of a lot less time in traffic and less miles on the car than if i only worked 15 miles away.

does that make sense or am i just talking ■■■■■■?

I’ve just sent my CV to a company in Thatcham, heard they are looking. 30 miles one way but for a decent job, what the hell why not.

Giblsa:

ROG:

but if you look at getting a tramping job witha couple of nights away each week it could mean less travel over the week.

at the moment i have to travel 15 miles to get to fowler welch, if my start time is between 0730 and 0900 it takes me roughly 45 minutes to do this distance and if i finish at between 1600 (yeah right!) and 1830ish it takes another 45mins.

the job i have just landed at littlehampton which i start on teh 15th sept is about an hour away (sticking to the speed limit) but its tramping so i will spend a hell of a lot less time in traffic and less miles on the car than if i only worked 15 miles away.

does that make sense or am i just talking ■■■■■■?

You aint talking Muslim to me mate, makes complete sense

Speak to some agencies now and see if you can build some credibility with them by doing some 7.5t work. If your keen and have a good reputation with them you will be surprised how flexible they will be over the two year rule. My agency will place me with all except one of their clients and I have only had my licence 10 months and I’m by no means an expert in trucking. :unamused:

Thanks guys. Anyway, I’ve decided to go ahead with the training which I start next Wednesday 2nd Sept and test on the 8th - so cutting it fine to avoid the CPC - if I pass first time :exclamation:

Can’t wait to get stuck in, nice Scania as well to train in :slight_smile:

When did you pass your B test - before or after 1997 ?

I passed my car test in 1984 and then bike test in 1990 (giving my age away now), so as I understand it I’m “granfathered” in on the B.

MAT:
I passed my car test in 1984

In that case you should have C1 on your licence so you WILL NOT have to do the LGV INITIAL DRIVER CPC no matter when you pass C - you have grandfather rights for the driver cpc.
sorry mate, I should have asked the question earlier :blush: :blush:

Oh right, yes, just looked at my licence and I do indeed have C1 which coincides with the date I passed my car test. Didn’t realise that this means I don’t have to do the initial CPC regardless of when I pass my test :question: Takes the pressure of a bit if that is the case.

MAT:
Takes the pressure of a bit if that is the case.

It is - CLICK HERE :smiley:

MAT:
Thanks guys. Anyway, I’ve decided to go ahead with the training which I start next Wednesday 2nd Sept and test on the 8th - so cutting it fine to avoid the CPC - if I pass first time :exclamation:

Can’t wait to get stuck in, nice Scania as well to train in :slight_smile:

MAT:
I passed my car test in 1984

ROG:
In that case you should have C1 on your licence so you WILL NOT have to do the LGV INITIAL DRIVER CPC no matter when you pass C - you have grandfather rights for the driver cpc.
sorry mate, I should have asked the question earlier :blush: :blush:

Who is going to be your LGV training provider and will you be doing a day to day training blog for us :question: :question:

Hello Chaps

There is a fair bit of Cat C and 7.5T work in Leicester with agencies if you are out of work.

Pertemps and ARC (Additions Recruitment Consultants) are 2 that spring to mind.

ARC deal with ESPO and do use newbies on Cat C and 7.5T work, its all handball and hard work but rewarding.

Pertemps have a couple of big contracts and I had 7.5T work off them but I did have some previous experience of 7.5T.

Also worth a shout is Truframe in Melton Mowbray, always advertising for 7.5T drivers.

Also, always worth trying Paul North at Apollo Vending in Old Dalby, they do 7.5T and Cat C stuff, they train there own drivers so newbs always welcome.

Give me a shout if you need more help.

As always Wozzer you are a star :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hey Wozzer, thanks for your post, makes for encouraging reading. Have no problem at all with handballing and hard graft - looking to get as much and varied experience as possible :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rog, doing my training with Data Academy in Leicester and happy to do a training blog if people are interested :exclamation:

MAT:
Rog, doing my training with Data Academy in Leicester and happy to do a training blog if people are interested

We are always interested in reading those blogs and there are a great source of info to other prospective trainees.

Data Academy

Yeh, I’ve heard of them… somewhere… :wink:

“worth a shout is Truframe in Melton Mowbray, always advertising for 7.5T drivers”

I am always a little wary about these companies always advertising for drivers,there has to be a reason and I suspect that it’s not a particulary good job.If you look at the Jobcentre website for long enough you notice that some jobs crop up every few months but then I’m a cynic.