Drivers CPC and c1?

Hi to all :smiley:

I have been looking at this CPC malarky and i was wondering as it says that any new driver wishing to get on the vocational ladder would have to do the “initial qualification”, however it says that anyone how holds a Pre 97 with C1 or an LGV C OR C+E is exempt for the time being,

My question is,if i want to upgrade to class 2 but don’t take it before Sept 2009 will that mean because i have a C1 I will have to “just” take a normal practical test to upgrade to C or do the new driver initial 2hr test? :frowning: ,

And what about any C driver who wants their E? :confused:

Giving me brown trousers this one!!! :open_mouth:

jmcg73:
Hi to all :smiley:

I have been looking at this CPC malarky and i was wondering as it says that any new driver wishing to get on the vocational ladder would have to do the “initial qualification”, however it says that anyone how holds a Pre 97 with C1 or an LGV C OR C+E is exempt for the time being,

My question is,if i want to upgrade to class 2 but don’t take it before Sept 2009 will that mean because i have a C1 I will have to “just” take a normal practical test to upgrade to C or do the new driver initial 2hr test? :frowning: ,

If you did a DSA C1 test then you would not have to do the initial DRIVER CPC but if not done a LGV theory test then you will have to do the DRIVER CPC if you take a DSA LGV test after Sept 09

jmcg73:
And what about any C driver who wants their E? :confused:

No extra theory or Driver CPC required for an upgrade to C+E.

So even though i have a “Grandfathers rights” c1 and not actually done the test that means i have to pull my finger out before 09 ROG? :confused:

I’m glad this point about C1, 7.5 tonner has been raised in regard to the DRIVER CPC.

An awful lot of C1 drivers, employers & agencies have not realised that the 35 hours of attendance DRIVER CPC have to be done for these drivers to carry on driving for hire or reward.

I was talking to an agency owner a few weeks ago and he said that he had a C1 driver who did Saturday mornings only for him - he did a non-driving job Mon to Fri.
He said that it would not be worthwhile for this driver (Cost for the course and time off work) to do the DRIVER CPC or for the agency to foot the bill.

Is there is going to be one big rush to do the DRIVER CPC in early 2014 :question:

jmcg73:
So even though i have a “Grandfathers rights” c1 and not actually done the test that means i have to pull my finger out before 09 ROG? :confused:

YES

Ok Rog,
In that case it looks like im going to have to go over the water to visit me old mum amongst other things! :wink:
Will keep you posted :smiley:

I should point out that I have based my answers on the current LGV licence and test criteria.
It might be that the DfT change this in regard to the DRIVER CPC but there is not any indication at present that they intend to.

Would it be worth asking at the test centre or are the examiners not allowed to talk to you if your not there on official business?

jmcg73:
Would it be worth asking at the test centre or are the examiners not allowed to talk to you if your not there on official business?

You can talk to an examiner at any time if convenient either by phone or in person but you would surprised how many people think they are gods or something and are afraid to do so :exclamation: :exclamation: - they are people doing a job - thats it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

OR

Try calling
DSA 0300-200-1122
DVLA 01792 782341

In all honesty Rog,
With my previous encounters with them, i think it would’nt be a bad idea to talk to one on an informal basis as i have developed at new fear…examinerfobia!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Its the way they come out of their office with the black mask on and the slow drum beat with their axe disguised as a clipboard gets me LOL :laughing:

ROG:
I was talking to an agency owner a few weeks ago and he said that he had a C1 driver who did Saturday mornings only for him - he did a non-driving job Mon to Fri.
He said that it would not be worthwhile for this driver (Cost for the course and time off work) to do the DRIVER CPC or for the agency to foot the bill.

Would he need to do it anyway? I’m sure I read somewhere that if you only did one day (shift) per week you’d be exempt even if you were being paid.

mrpj:

ROG:

Would he need to do it anyway? I’m sure I read somewhere that if you only did one day (shift) per week you’d be exempt even if you were being paid.

YES he would.
LGV instruction is exempt but if the trainer does so much as 1 shift on hire & reward then the DRIVER CPC is required

Hi jmcg73 and all,

I’m going to add to the debate here. I’m in a similar position. I have C1 entitement due to having pre-97 licence and therefore have grandfather rights. Some months ago, I emailed drivercpc@dsa.gsi.gov.uk to ask whether I would have to take the Driver CPC if I went for class 2 between Oct '09 and 2014. This was their reply:

“Thank you for your email received on 26 March 2008 regarding Driver CPC.
You will receive Driver CPC by ‘acquired (grandfather) rights’ when it comes into force for LGV drivers on 10 September 2009 due to your C1 entitlement gained by virtue of your pre 1997 car driving licence.To upgrade to a full C you would have to undertake a LGV practical test.However, you would not have to do the Driver CPC initial qualification.The 35 hours of approved periodic training for Driver CPC cover any type of category C licence (C1, C1+E, C, C+E) and it will be up to you to choose the courses that you wish to attend.Additional information regarding Driver CPC can be found on the Transport Office website www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc.”

So based on this advice (if still current), it would appear that you would not have to take the Driiver CPC if you upgraded between Oct '09 and 2014.

Hope this is of help.

Dumpster:
Hi jmcg73 and all,

I’m going to add to the debate here. I’m in a similar position. I have C1 entitement due to having pre-97 licence and therefore have grandfather rights. Some months ago, I emailed drivercpc@dsa.gsi.gov.uk to ask whether I would have to take the Driver CPC if I went for class 2 between Oct '09 and 2014. This was their reply:

“Thank you for your email received on 26 March 2008 regarding Driver CPC.
You will receive Driver CPC by ‘acquired (grandfather) rights’ when it comes into force for LGV drivers on 10 September 2009 due to your C1 entitlement gained by virtue of your pre 1997 car driving licence.To upgrade to a full C you would have to undertake a LGV practical test.However, you would not have to do the Driver CPC initial qualification.The 35 hours of approved periodic training for Driver CPC cover any type of category C licence (C1, C1+E, C, C+E) and it will be up to you to choose the courses that you wish to attend.Additional information regarding Driver CPC can be found on the Transport Office website www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc.”

So based on this advice (if still current), it would appear that you would not have to take the Driiver CPC if you upgraded between Oct '09 and 2014.

Hope this is of help.

IT IS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:
I should point out that I have based my answers on the current LGV licence and test criteria.
It might be that the DfT change this in regard to the DRIVER CPC but there is not any indication at present that they intend to.

Seems that the info given to me at the start of this year was wrong or is now out of date
Thanks Tramper :smiley: :smiley:

jmcg73 - you don’t have to rush that C test now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You have my eternal gratitude Dumpster! and which goes without saying Rog :wink: