Are manual entries an everyday thing?

Hi Guys, just want to run something by you all, a friend of mine was called into the office the other day and asked why he puts manual entries in every morning, seems obvious to me as to why but the tm thinks otherwise, am i right in thinking if you take your card out at the end of the day then go in office for debrief, the difference should be added in the morning aswell as anything else, ie you started at 0400hrs but didnt get your keys till 0415hrs (15 mins other work) :unamused:

Yes they are.

If the office discourage in the circumstances you describe itā€™s because they are trying to steal time from the drivers.

Another Arse of a TM who doesnā€™t know his working time and driver hours laws
Your duty time starts when you start your shift not when card goes in and ends when you finish totally not when engine is switched off
Getting keys daily checks debriefing etc are other work but still work ! and count to the total duty time

Depends on whether you are getting paid to the minute on your tachograph as F.reds refers to.
As for an ā€˜everyday thingā€™ I have never done one in my life (the obvious old jokeā€¦again :unamused: )
Unless it involves an attractive female :smiley:
but then again being a seasoned tramper I have never done a ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā€˜debriefā€™ :unamused: either.,
The joke also applies to that sentence. :smiley:

You should do manual entries by law. At the place Iā€™m at now they have changed tact and now are ā€œaskingā€ us not to do a manual entry at the end of our shift even though we need to account for the time to take our paperwork and keys back to the office.

You must of switched off during your Cpc course never mind its easily doneā€¦ Yes your meant to do manual entries but most donā€™t cus either they donā€™t know how to do them or are afraid of messing it up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I donā€™t do manual entries. Card goes in as soon as I get to work Monday morning before i do anything else and comes out Friday afternoon last thing before I go home. No need for manual entries as everything is recorded.

Not been driving long, but Iā€™ve always done them. Way I see it, if you got stopped by DVSA and they checked your card, they may well get suspicious. Not many people take out or insert their card the minute they start work. Might be a little different for tramping but even then, there should be a few now and again (start/ end of week etc.)

dreamingofoz:
I donā€™t do manual entries. Card goes in as soon as I get to work Monday morning before i do anything else and comes out Friday afternoon last thing before I go home. No need for manual entries as everything is recorded.

Pretty much what I do tbh. I do however do a manual entry on a Monday morning to show my weekend rest. There is no requirement for me to do this but I do it 'cos I can and Iā€™m a smart arse.

dreamingofoz:

Same with me more or less.
However, I can see the need for the day lads to do them if their daily pay rate is affected, and especially if their employers are trying to pull a fast oneā€¦as they do. :smiling_imp:

How on earth did we ever manage in the days before Digi ? ffs

Get to work at 08.00, get keys and p/work, have chat to colleagues, get a brew from machine, walk to truck, open door jump in andā€¦
mark the reverse of the tacho disc before inserting it into the recording machine. What a load of Sphericals.

I just stick whatever card comes to hand in the tacho.

Went down to Dunstable once on a Boots loyalty card.

eagerbeaver:

Hope you got the points (per km of course) :laughing: :laughing:

I prefer to work for haulage companies rather than logistics solutions providers. Thus reducing the need for buzz word policies like debriefing. Also keep the keys to my allocated vehicle, and work for the next day is arranged prior to parking up, so no need for a manual entry whatsoever. If I have to report to the office in the morning, or collect paperwork from the overnight box, my card goes in before this happens. But like I say, I prefer not to work for logistics solutions providers :unamused:

Berty:
You must of switched off during your Cpc course never mind its easily doneā€¦ Yes your meant to do manual entries but most donā€™t cus either they donā€™t know how to do them or are afraid of messing it up. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

speak for yourself. :grimacing: never done one in thirty years. :laughing:

Radar. Where is this LAW? :sunglasses:

the maoster:

dreamingofoz:

Pretty much what I do tbh. I do however do a manual entry on a Monday morning to show my weekend rest. There is no requirement for me to do this but I do it 'cos I can and Iā€™m a smart arse.

When I put my card in the head unit automatically asks the question ā€œREST TILL NOW?ā€ just press ok and job done.

pierrot 14:

eagerbeaver:

Hope you got the points (per km of course) :laughing: :laughing:

Treated myself to some waterproof mascara just in case I ever get shoved onto a rigid :cry:

Never done a manual entry everā€¦as far as i know no employed drivers here do eitherā€¦

> pierrot 14:
> How on earth did we ever manage in the days before Digi ? ffs.

Make sure all your logbooks tally at start & end of shift & remember which one to show if pulled (back in the day we all did 11+ maths)

Strictly you probably should but unless VOSA are getting very picky, I cant see most of them worrying about a few mins, plus they are easy to messup. Contrary to popular belief they are also human so arenā€™t out to get youā€¦mostly. :wink: