Manual entry screw up

Did the manual entry at start of shift yesterday, and ended up recording my daily rest as other work, but didn’t realise that until the dash display said I needed a daily rest immediately, did a print out and sure enough 17 hours of other work, the question is do I admit my stupidity on that print or the one I did at the end of the shift.

On that one and end of shift one
P/S either be more careful or don’t do them

Sent from my truck

Always put it on rest and take out card .Start of shift i always put mine on other work after rest period.

Why put it on rest before taking the card out if I may ask?

the maoster:

I’ve always done it make it register for 1 Min then eject card

It registeres your taking .a rest
Dont think there’s a legal requirement to do it though

Personally I just don’t do manual entries, I start work when the card goes in and finish when it comes out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You do a print out and let your boss know.
Either he wont care or will say dont do it again.
Either way just keep the print out with the reason written on the back.
Happens all the time, dont worry about it.

edd1974:

the maoster:

I’ve always done it make it register for 1 Min then eject card

It registeres your taking .a rest
Dont think there’s a legal requirement to do it though

+1
I’ve never ever done a manual entry to show that the time the card was out of the head was a rest period, it’s recorded as you starting rest, then the card come out, ergo all the time until it goes back in is rest. I do believe there are some daft company policies out there which make ME’s mandatory for this, but they’re utterly pointless.

Thanks for the replies, up until last year I have never done manual entries to account for start and end of shift, but I suppose that is what you get with some companies, currently doing agency and if that is what they want that’s what they get, personally I’ve never seen the point of it.
So would the explanation go something like, manual entry incorrectly inputted for rest between of end and start of shift recorded other work, and then sign for it on both print outs.

A good idea is to do a print out of your manual entries before you accept them. twofold advantage, an incorrect mode put in on the manual entry will be glaringly obvious as they are listed in black and white. It also shows the printer on the head is actually printing properly.

Correct it on your print out and you’re covered (manual trace on rear with all relevant details completed). Manual entries are a legal requirement. Do not listen to the idiots saying “Don’t do them.” or " I don’t do them." They protect you against things like starting a shift, standing around for 2 hours and then being given a 15 hour day etc.

Truckerian99:
Correct it on your print out and you’re covered (manual trace on rear with all relevant details completed). Manual entries are a legal requirement. Do not listen to the idiots saying “Don’t do them.” or " I don’t do them." They protect you against things like starting a shift, standing around for 2 hours and then being given a 15 hour day etc.

Manual entries are not a legal requirement if my duty starts or ends at the moment I insert or eject the card. Walking from my unit to my car is not a duty of work!

Only tried it once, if only to have a go after all the fuss about them on here.
Made a complete ■■■■ up of it, the readout on my dash kept telling me I’d done 4 hours driving already, when I’d only just set off.
Never done one since, most probably never will…,.as for finding out how to do it properly,.can’t summon up the required amount of interest., life’s too short. :unamused:

I always do a manual entry, mainly to account for the time at the end of the last shift that I’ve put on the timesheet, ie: if I pull the card at 12mins past the hour and I’ve put half past the hour as my finish time. This accounts for the time I get out of the truck, walk to the office for “debrief” and off the yard and into my car via the security search in reception.

What’s all this debrief ■■■■■■ I thought we just drove trucks[emoji848]

Ok in that case if it meant me losing money, I’d be on it.
Being a tramper, I’ll put the card in at the beginning of my week,.and take it out at the end of the week,.so no real ‘need’ tbh.
I only do whatever type of this crap that I HAVE to. :bulb:

(Btw…still find all this ‘Debriefing’ dog ■■■■ that you lads do amusing, :unamused: it always makes me think of WW2 aircrew routines,.after bombing missions over Germany, not handing in your keys after delivering your bog rolls to Tesco. :laughing:
Typical pretentious modern management buzz word terms. :unamused: )

They call it a debrief when in reality its walking to office, chucking paperwork in tray with keys, telling office manager where unit said keys fit is, sticking tacho card in reader then sitting around talking guff to finish ones shift to the next 15 min interval.

Manual entry next morning reads 20.05 to 20.13 poa 20.13 to 20.15 cross hammers, end shift, uk. 20.15 to 08.00 rest, start shift, uk, 08.00 to 08.02 cross hammers, 08.02 to 08.15 poa, 08.15 to 08.17 cross hammers, print out manual entries (check all correct) accept manual entries.

Actually took me longer to type than do a manual entry on the head.

They really aren’t difficult and because we do them every day and they match our microlise records we get a 99.8% DVSA score for the year and a continued green light and no pull. (agency and outside hauliers pull it down)

wrighty1:

Truckerian99:

Manual entries are not a legal requirement if my duty starts or ends at the moment I insert or eject the card. Walking from my unit to my car is not a duty of work!

Amazing that you don’t have to sign/clock in, or collect keys and then walk to your unit or do the reverse at the end of your shift, because otherwise that would be work and not showing it would, technically, be an infringement and cause your employer and you problems if the Ministry did an audit.

Truckerian99:

wrighty1:

Truckerian99:

Amazing that you don’t have to sign/clock in, or collect keys and then walk to your unit or do the reverse at the end of your shift, because otherwise that would be work and not showing it would, technically, be an infringement and cause your employer and you problems if the Ministry did an audit.

We keep our keys due to having dedicated units and clocking in as you say is when said card goes in tacho, simple thing is card isn’t in = no pay, why would you do that [emoji848]

wrighty1:
What’s all this debrief [zb], I thought we just drove trucks[emoji848]

This

Fuzrat:
They call it a debrief when in reality its walking to office, chucking paperwork in tray with keys

It’s all about making money with an extra 15-30mins added to the card, I’m usually driving home in my car long before the actual end time. But as long as the end time on the card matches the end time on the timesheet All is good