Also last year lynx where supposed to sell to ups a driver
said from lynx but he still drives the same old erf unit in
lynx colours.

And the final question outokumpu was closing in sheffield
but there seems to be still work there and there is different
rumours about when they are closing and where they
moving to

:slight_smile: I can offer an answer to your second question, Convoy :

Yes, UPS did buy Lynx Express last year. Lock, stock and wotsisname. :stuck_out_tongue:
It will take some time yet, perhaps a few years, to combine the two operations in this country, so vans and artics in the Lynx livery will be seen on the roads for a while yet.

Both Lynx and UPS have hubs in Nuneaton within half a mile of each other for example, so they may have to build a ‘super hub’, twice or three times the size of existing facilities before they can combine the two different sets of customers parcels onto a single trunking network.

Also, Lynx have an existing agreement with the American Post Office (biggest rival of UPS :slight_smile: ) for the collection and delivery of each others packages in the UK / USA.
That agreement will have to run its course until UPS can take over that service, which could be next year or the year after, which gives them time to put plans in place for a smooth switch when the time comes.

Both UPS and Lynx have depots near each other in various parts of the country, but covering slightly differing postcode ‘territories’. They will need to be seamlessly combined somehow. And both have van owner drivers with their own little ‘patch’ to consider - perhaps on different drop rates too. :wink:

And then theres the small matter of convincing Lynx’s 250,000 or so customers to switch their consignments to UPS and not one of the many other rival parcel services! :sunglasses:

Like I said, it’ll be a few years yet before the Lynx fleet dissapears completely from our roads and twice as many ‘big brown’ (or grey…) UPS vehicles appear in their place. :wink:

Cheers Deesider just being nosey really as
I did some work on the agency last year for
lynx and this guy did not know if his job was
safe and I had not heard anything since but
have seen a few drivers with the same trucks
about.

Another question what make of vehicle are
those brown ups trucks :question:

:slight_smile: Not sure which ones you mean - if it’s the Trunking fleet then mostly DAF 85s. (Some are Drawbar Outfits)

If it’s those wierd looking delivery vans with the rounded bonnet - I’m not sure !
I’d be interested to know myself about the mechanicals underneath them. - Merc. maybe?

They are coachbuilt (in Germany I think) by the thousand to UPS’s own design, sliding cab doors, walk through access to the load compartment from the cab, interior shelves, keyless locking and ignition, chunky back bumper etc. :wink: They look to me about 6.5 tonnes gvw.

I’ve noticed some smaller ones with a V W badge on them, - about 3.5 t. GVW I’d say , - with a similar coachbuilt look about them.

Oh, and UPS have some ‘ordinary’ Merc. Sprinter and Vario panel vans, too! :slight_smile:

Another question what make of vehicle are
those brown ups trucks :question:
[/quote]

The small parcel vans are Mercedes I think. They have a big fibreglass bonnet to disguise them.

Not sure why they do this though.

convoy:
Wincantan at maltby moved there operation to worksop
I think someone said but there is a Wincantan sign on
the gate now saying recruiting now so anyone know
what happening.

they didnt move anything, they lost the grampian contract last year closing on 1st aug 05 the warehousing contract was transfered to innost@te at mantonwood and GCT took the transport opps inhouse. all the staff (inc me) where TUPEd over to the relivant new warehouse/transport contracts, I was made redundant by GCT as I told em I was unable to travel to thorne due to lack of transport.

the site is now recriuting for a new contract for sainsburys who are running 2 contracts out of there, "Jacksons" shops and another shop chain they bought in the N.East . Ive got an interview today (Mon) there, Wombwell jobcentre is organising the recriutment on behalf of wincanton, application forms can be had at the gate along with details of the relivant pay and Ts & Cs
but I wouldn`t hold ya breath, as the pay is only £20k - £22k a year working 180hrs/month any 5 from 7 :unamused: rotating D/N/A
with paltry O/T payments to match

Here in Nuneaton the latest UPS brown vans are on Iveco Daily chassis, they now have the Iveco grille and bonnet with the UPS coachbuilt body behind it.

I’ve not seen any round here with the UPS fibreglass snout for some while.

Also up at JCB parts the UK delivery contract was recently won by Lynx. They now have a fleet of 55 reg DAF trucks all in JCB yellow with writing on the cab door "Delivery by Lynx Express a UPS company) or words to that effect.

I’ve not seen any changes in the Lynx fleet in Nuneaton yet.

Calv

Funny thing about UPS is that its run by Mormons. They don`t believe in credit from banks so everything is paid for up-front in cash. The FBI did an investigation on them a few years ago believing that were laundering money for the Mafia. But they were found to be clean as a whistle…

harry:
Funny thing about UPS is that its run by Mormons. They don`t believe in credit from banks so everything is paid for up-front in cash. The FBI did an investigation on them a few years ago believing that were laundering money for the Mafia. But they were found to be clean as a whistle…

H I think you mean MORONS well thats who are running the site I worked at :laughing: :laughing:

The original UPS vans (AKA Ugly Peice of sh…) i think were nearly all LHD and were imported from the US to cut costs when the service was initially set up in the UK.

I’ve now seen the same bodies grafted onto various standard chassis cabs. Merc actually make a very similar body as an option in their spec lists (anyone can buy one) which is made to a DHL (german post office spec) much like you can buy Red LDV’s with a roller door in the back.

I was talking to a Lynx driver here in Kent last week, he said that the southwest are getting the livery change at the moment then in the southeast they’ll be getting it around end of next year. I suspect at the age of some of the vehicles they will be replaced as it wouldnt be worth respraying them.

Bear in mind the DHL/Omega merger, Omega still isnt integrated into DHL fully. You’ll often see Omega Blue trailers sans logos with a DHL unit.

can only comment on outo kumpo, as i understand it they’re not moving anywhere, the uk side of the company has been wound up and the wagons you’ll see in and out of the place are removing the last of the steel in stock and plant that has been sold on.

Lynx and UPS nuneaton are both moving soon into to a new depot on the A5 near Tamworth.

Seen signs in at Lynx nuneaton about it

And so far the work seems same as before.
Just go in there on odd days thru agency

Lynx and UPS nuneaton are both moving soon into to a new depot on the A5 near Tamworth.

Birch Coppice by any chance ■■ Heard rumours that they were having a place in there anyway… …

G

Gazzareth:

Birch Coppice by any chance ■■ Heard rumours that they were having a place in there anyway… …

G

If it is where Smurfitts are… yes thats what i have heard

Remember Ripponden Transport, they also used homemade truck bodies to sell the image. It worked for a lot of years

Wheel Nut:
Remember Ripponden Transport, they also used homemade truck bodies to sell the image. It worked for a lot of years

I remember them, blue trucks with a sort of cream coloured covering over the load space, it looked like canvas but wasn’t. Is that them?

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

I remember them, blue trucks with a sort of cream coloured covering over the load space, it looked like canvas but wasn’t. Is that them?

Yes, Neil them was the trucks. It was taken over by United Carriers before they finished.I think the bodies were fibre glass roof with wooden bodies

Outokumpu are still running out of Sheffield, but all the steel comes from Finland. All steel rolling finished earlier this year, so all that’s left is a warehouse/distribution operation. As most is delivered from the docks or direct from Scandanavia the Sheffield fleet got cut back and some of the trucks got smaller. You don’t get much steel on 7.5 tonner !!!

Mackem

Mackem:
Outokumpu are still running out of Sheffield, but all the steel comes from Finland. All steel rolling finished earlier this year, so all that’s left is a warehouse/distribution operation. As most is delivered from the docks or direct from Scandanavia the Sheffield fleet got cut back and some of the trucks got smaller. You don’t get much steel on 7.5 tonner !!!

Mackem

Agreed - as a Finnish shipping line, it’s been an absolute boon for us, since we seem to be one of the preferred agents at the moment. Steel coming out of our ears. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lynx have two sites at Nuneaton, and Ups is literally next door. The new massive warehouse at Griff is going to Unipart i think , some kind of technology distribution(cant remember what the banner said exactly). Theres also new warehouses down the A5 at Hinckley, Walsh Western have got one of them, and a supermarket chain has got another one, not sure who though.