white van man.

a mate of mine is thinking of buying his own van and becoming a freelance courier or a sub contract courier for existing parcel companies.
does anyone have any idea of companies in west yorkshire that may give him a contract :question:

thanks in advance :smiley:

Parceline are taking on subbies. THey’ll even finance the van.

thanks for that conor,i`ll let him know mate, :smiley:

Business Post and Lynx Express also use owner drivers with Sprinter size vans. They both have depots in the Leeds area, you can get details from their websites (or your local Yellow Pages .) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now would be the ideal time to ‘get in there’, as all the shops are stocking - up for Christmas and things are about to get ‘hectic’ for the parcel companies in the next few weeks. :wink:

Courier is more fun than parcel delivery. Especially if you get a van capable of hauling 2 pallets and at least 1t of cargo. A significant number of delivery and haulage firms will hire on an owner driver for quick small runs. I did it for a couple of years as a subby to a local company. Got me all across the UK, into Ireland and Germany.
Insurance will need an octopus’s quota of arms and legs tho, last quote I had was over 2 grand.

If your mate wants more infomation about the Courier Owner Driver buisness he could do a lot worse than look here.
http://cartergeorge.co.uk/codforum/index.php

thanks fella`s…all info will be passed on, :wink: :smiley:

I did it with a VW Transporter 2.5tdi, and could carry 1280 kg inc driver and be legal. perhaps the best choice is a long wheelbase high top sprinter or transit. Both will give the cargo capacity and power to do most jobs.

advise him to be careful when buying not to go for the budget options - those I deliver tend to drink fuel and so be a long-term loser.

the most rapid vans I’ve delivered with pretty decent economy have been mercedes vito vans - large area in the back, nippy, comfy etc - and if he gets in touch with mercedes at tankersley I’m sure they’d discuss demos.

I’d say they’d be a good call for a courier firm.

The Vito will only carry 1 pallet, the VW I mentioned will carry 2, and is about the same size. Don’t buy an engine over 2.5 tdi. And never get a diesel without a turbo.
I got 40mpg on one run out of my 88bhp VW on a run from Norwich to Kent and back. I was taking it easy tho. The 102bhp version may or may not be different on economy, since all they do is change the turbo.
If you’re considering pallet work (always good for a courier) ensure you get the wing doors on the back, preferably that open to 180 or 270 degrees to help the forky get in there.
I’d avoid Iveco vans like the plague. Fords are ok, but I’d advise Merc or VW for a quality vehicle.

personally i wouldnt bother theres allready to many people doing it,its become so cut throat my rates are bare minimum yet i still get undercut,but if he wants to doit he wants to get a 1.9,100bhp vauxhall vivaro so he can run at small vam small ■■■■■■ rate viable to run at these rates trannys and sprinters can only run atbig van rate to make money,run 12-18hrs a day…

[so cut throat my rates are bare minimum yet i still get undercut,

Hi Guys

Just out of curiosity Redvanman what sort of rates are being charged for delivery’s these days e.g. price per mile.

We hear that it’s not worth the hassle as it’s so cut throat now setting up with a van

What’s it like if you go into Europe charge wise?