Advice on 3.5t Van Od's

Although currently working in a traffic office Have an interview next week with a local courier co.looking for van owners to work full time. Thought it was worth having a chat and a possible business opportunity but need advice on operating costs of say a lwb Sprinter / Transit mpg,tax,insurance etc also expected earnings whether it’ll be on mileage job rate or per parcel and what you would and wouldn’t do . I realise it could be tear arsing around with 90 odd drops becoming a glorified postman which is not for me but you never know it may be worthwhile. Would appreciate any help advice from anyone in that game even if it’s negative

Stick with the job you have now, as a owner driver with a van you will work very very hard to make someone else rich
and after 12 months hard work you will have less than you started with and a knackerd van.
the only way to end up with a million pound in transport is to start with two million

Unless you have a niche job or two in mind ,don’t bother .

Local courier companies are really just minicab offices usually. If they’re advertising it’s usually because they can’t keep drivers because they haven’t got enough work to make it worthwhile. Be very careful.

As wiith shytot im an od with a van you will end up doing tripple the hours and wonder if your going to get paid on either 30 pr 60 days . Rates haven’t really moved from 12 years ago on sameday and there’s to many chasing too little work. Most eu goes to poles. Or you’ll be a glorified employee of yodel or tnr ( insert other overnight sipping company). For not a lot of money

DrivingMissDaisy:
Local courier companies are really just minicab offices usually. If they’re advertising it’s usually because they can’t keep drivers because they haven’t got enough work to make it worthwhile. Be very careful.

No usually they usually advertise they have loads of work even when they don’t just to get subbies on there booksfor when they are busy

Overnighters will drop rates when they feel like it and there wont be any consultation

If it’s HDNL Yodel, then don’t bother! I was doing 150 - 200 drops a day, at least 15hrs a day and ragged the nuts of my van! I stuck to their 10hr target for the route for week (about 100 drops) and barely broke even - just enough to pay for van, diesel, and a pint down the pub. At 80p per parcel delivered/collected (NOT attempted, DELIVERED), and liable for any claims of lost parcels, it’s more like slave labour! That’s my opinion from when i worked there a few years ago when they had just taken over DHL Home, and were amalgamating them! It wasn’t any better before that point either! What’s happened since i couldnt tell you as i couldnt take anymore!

If you get in a niche market its not too bad, cant say about general courier as we dont do it.

We have 2 vans on a niche market for 3 customers, yeh were pretty much on call, last week we only did 2 jobs, the week before 1 van did 6 good days and the other did 2. Some jobs we do on milage, others is day rate, but its a general think on your feet when the phone rings.
Moneywise, just ensure your income exceeds your outgoings, getting dripped up is another bill, keep the motor serviced, a morning a month having a service is better than a week off having severe surgery.
Since August were in profit, and on current happenings got our money back 2 years ahead of schedule.

Smiffys trucking:
If it’s HDNL Yodel, then don’t bother! I was doing 150 - 200 drops a day, at least 15hrs a day and ragged the nuts of my van! I stuck to their 10hr target for the route for week (about 100 drops) and barely broke even - just enough to pay for van, diesel, and a pint down the pub. At 80p per parcel delivered/collected (NOT attempted, DELIVERED), and liable for any claims of lost parcels, it’s more like slave labour! That’s my opinion from when i worked there a few years ago when they had just taken over DHL Home, and were amalgamating them! It wasn’t any better before that point either! What’s happened since i couldnt tell you as i couldnt take anymore!

Depending on who your on for and weather direct expect 130 per day or £1 per parcel. Above 70 per day. Including attempted if not walk away

Buy a cheep van that is just good enough to do the job and stay away from trannist a a they drink way to much juice

Freind of mine does very well on van but as alix Said the rates not changed much for years and the poles have undercut alot same as did with trucks
Chatted to him about it. Before but unless you have one or two own direct customers
And get reloads very little if any money to be made on general trade rates
Your likes of citysprint etc stay away
As for parcels working your nuts for a crap wage if lucky

He is busy with his own export work but always backloads in from eu which said where
Tops his profit right up

Sprinter one of best with the warranty but be careful with weight
Master/movano have heard very good reports back on and cheaper but less warranty

gettin-on:
Sprinter one of best with the warranty but be careful with weight
Master/movano have heard very good reports back on and cheaper but less warranty

Sprinters slurp the fuel compared to the same weight Transit, but Sprinter IMO is more reliable, and if you need a part its in stock, French motors are decent but your waiting on parts should things go wonky.

Renault are reliable (mechanically) and decent on fuel but inconsistent , some will perform well while others the same spec will be gutless . the electrical connections on the side door fail and you end up listening to the door open warning ,the van will not lock either when this happens . but as our gaffer pointed out when we moved from merc . the price of two sprinters will pay for three masters and the fuel savings more than cover the cost of fitting new contacts to the side door . as the saying goes "you pays your money and takes your choice "

Master would be my personal choice as I have one at the moment but am selling as I need a Luton and it looks like it’ll be a sprinter or crafter as there better on fuel than transit. Don’t just buy a sprinter because everyone runs them they are heavy on fuel compared to renault. And citreon for example. I have a friend who just bought a new trannist and isn’t impressed

Better off buying a trade bike and delivering meat for the local butcher, higher returns and less hassle. Sold one of mine a parked the other up hoping for better times to appear but it just aint going to happen. Now concentrating on drivin a boat full time :frowning:

Ray im happy with the job im on now. The good days aren’t coming back. Dispite what the likes of city sprint etc will tell you.

Maybe rent or hire a van.If do not like it send it back.Some have service contracts and breakdown cover included.Over a certain amount of earnings,HMR&C need to be contacted to register for VAT and an accountant to do the books.

haven’t and wouldn’t want to touch a courier company - everyone I have spoken to basically says what’s been said above, run yourself and the van into the ground and get very little in the way of remuneration. If there is a lot of turnover with drivers, it’s for a reason.

Another big fan of Masters. We run a mixed fleet ( artics through to connects) and have 6 Masters, they’ve been very good, usually run them to around 280,000 miles and find that driveshafts go first. Drivers find them comfortable.

The problem is people always see it as grass is greener on the other side ( btw i home all day as no work in but back at it tomorrow ). I spoke to a stobart driver in skem a few weeks ago and he said he was going to by a curtain sider van and he could get work all day long for it. Untill I asked where his work would come from and did he know what his insurance would be ie hr GIT pl. Circa 2k minimum. When point this out he then said think I’ll stay doing this.

It’s amazing how many people forget those minor details!

Yep