Any drivers on here affected by this?

Supermarket group Morrisons is planning to close three distribution depots, with the potential loss of up to 2,500 jobs, the GMB union has said.
Morrisons admitted that a thorough review of its depots was underway, but the union says staff were not consulted and is now threatening strike action.

The depots involved, in Kent, Bristol and Cheshire, were formerly owned by Safeway which Morrisons bought in 2003.

Morrisons has seen profit alerts and a falling share price since the buy-out.

The GMB said there had been no consultation between it and Morrisons about redeploying workers.

Morrisons has run a coach and horses through its legal obligations

Jude Brimble, GMB union

It also said it had no idea whether the sites were going to be sold as a going concern or closed down and “bulldozed and all the rest of it”.

Jude Brimble, national officer for the GMB, told the BBC: “These are all long-serving Safeway employees in these depots - a couple of thousand workers.”

Strike warning

Now the union has warned that Morrisons could face the biggest national strike in its history.

“Morrisons has run a coach and horses through its legal obligations to consult with the workforce and unions prior to drawing up plans which will lead to large scale redundancies,” Ms Brimble said.

In response, Morrisons said it had already made it clear that a wide-reaching review of its depot operations was taking place.

“Since acquiring Safeway, we have sold over 180 stores and the reality is that we have more depot space and capacity than we need,” the supermarket group said in a statement.

“Therefore it is likely that not all current operations will be retained once our review is complete.”

Morrisons said it was keeping its workers and unions fully informed and planned to hold further talks once the review was complete.

I think the GMB are doing a bit of Grandstanding here.

The Warrington depot has yet to be re-branded as Morrison, and when speaking to one of their drivers, he said they were all hanging on hoping to be made redundant.

Even 2 or 3 years ago there was talk of closing either Aylesford or Welwyn because of overlap in the areas covered. Welwyn is now Somerfield. Aylesford is basically in the wrong place to be efficient and the last time I was there I noticed a number of office staff were not only agency, but from an agency in Kidderminster or Droitwich. Certainly that way.

Also against keeping Aylesford, is the future redevelopment for the 2012 Olympics. When the construction traffic is added to that already busy traffic system, then the problems are likely to become worse.

Bristol is the wrong side of the bridge. Serving the South-West is Willand, and just up the road from Bristol is Droitwich.

With Northampton capable of serving the Northern half of the M25, the obvious gap is in the South and the Southern half of the M25.

Expect a new one to appear off the M3 or M27.

I’ve been woking out of the Bristol Depot for the last 4 months, and was told by the store manager in Reading that Bristol would be closing, Morrisons have Sainsburys old site in Yate which is run by Exel to cover the south, Willand does mainly frozen and is a bit small really.

Morrisions is soon to open a huge RDC in Kettering.

Wayne.

Yep sounds like the GMB getting on their soap box for no good reason again.
Was pretty obvious to anyone that they were going to be closing Depots and stores when they took safeway over, just common sense, too much overlap!

On a side note, when i do the trunk to our Maidstone Depot (DHL) i have to go past the workshops, whats with all those older scania’s by the fence, looks like they’re canibalising them?

Can’t say i’d miss Warrington.

Most ignorant, miserable bunch of gits in the chill goods in… :angry:

Could it be Safeway employees had a better pay and conditions package? i don’t know just asking the question :question:

Morrisions is soon to open a huge RDC in Kettering

As our company is a major subby to Morrisons,and our HQ being in Northampton,I’ll make some enquiries as to if this is true.

I must say,that I haven’t heard anything thus far,but I’ll post back once I know.

Ken.

Blue222:
Can’t say i’d miss Warrington.

Most ignorant, miserable bunch of gits in the chill goods in… :angry:

I only just started going to that depot recently. On my rounds its the only place that I have to wait about an hour just to get 1 pallet taken off whith no more than 5-10 boxes on it. At the other Morrisons places I go, they’ve finished tipping me before I have chance to hand the keys back into them, or just about at any rate. I never could understand why that particular depot took 10 times as long as anyone else to get anything done.

tartanraider:
Could it be Safeway employees had a better pay and conditions package? i don’t know just asking the question :question:

I don’t think that comes into it. Rudd Heath is just down the road from Warrington and is a bigger site. It was logical that one of them had to go.

Bristol, I’ve since heard. The lease expires next year and the owners want it back as it is prime retail land being so close to Cribbs Causeway, Walmart, and all of the other major outlets nearby.

Whilst I naturally have sympathy for the people losing their jobs, I’m sure they will all be receiving adequate compensation packages and/or the opportunity to transfer to other locations.

I’m just critical of the GMB jumping on the bandwagon of something which even I, already knew of (or suspected) some weeks ago.

Definately true as there is a flippin great sign on the A14 at Kettering saying that it will be up and running Autumn 2005