Somerfield Depot Closures

Found out last night that Somerfield is to close the ambient depot in Rainham Essex, and the fresh depot in Welwyn Garden City (ex Safeway / TDG). Both are operated by Exel.

It appears that the stores affected will transfer to Huntingdon (ambient) and Godmanchester (fresh). Both of these sites are also operated by Exel.

I am not certain how many staff - if any - will be transferred.

What a grizzly start to the new year for all those working at Rainham / WGC. :frowning:

I believe I heard somewhere today that Morrison are to close Aylesford and one other RDC that they aquired as part of the Safeway takeover.

Is this right?

takeovers and mergers very often mean colosures an d lost jobs as they utilise capacity, we are only “capacity” on a balance sheet after all! quite right too, money is far more imporatant than people!

Mal:
takeovers and mergers very often mean colosures an d lost jobs as they utilise capacity, we are only “capacity” on a balance sheet after all! quite right too, money is far more imporatant than people!

:open_mouth: :confused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

(ps: You were joking I take it, Mal?)

deadly serious cm! im maggies illegitimate son! :wink: :laughing:

Mal:
deadly serious cm! im maggies illegitimate son! :wink: :laughing:

It was often alleged in Private Eye that Dennis put it around a bit :wink: :laughing:

I think theres a depot in Bristol due to close. Heard Steve Wright reading the local headlines this afternoon and he mentioned it in the Bristol Evening paper.

I found this link via Google:

I drove past the Safeway depot in Shrewsbury today and noticed that its up for sale/lease. Think that was closed some time ago?

Calv

Thats bad news ,when i saw the thread i thought it was going to inform me that Tewkesbury was to close,there have been rumours but my jobs safe for now, lease is up soon and there are a lot of new houses going up around the depot.Talking to a wellingbourgh driver last week and they are starting to do a lot more stores rather than trunking to other depots

CM:
I believe I heard somewhere today that Morrison are to close Aylesford and one other RDC that they aquired as part of the Safeway takeover.

Is this right?

insider.trucknetuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1740

Just delivered to rainham today and they are gloomy as hell :cry:

To be honest if it was me i would go on strike sod em! I know that takeovers mean cut backs but where is the insentive for them to work?

If they went on strike maybe it would force morrisons to change there mind or close it early. Either way its a way of gettin back at morrisons

Dennis put it around a bit

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I feel sorry for all them sheep he move’s around. :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:

Dennis put it around a bit

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I feel sorry for all them sheep he move’s around. :laughing: :laughing:

they’re not my type KitKat, but if you’re ever down this way I could introduce you to some :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Although I have heard that the chance of you getting this far south is quite small, :laughing: probably about the same as the chance of me getting that far north :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Although I have heard that the chance of you getting this far south is quite small, probably about the same as the chance of me getting that far north

correct on both accounts Denis. :laughing: :laughing:

The Somerfield RDC at Bridgewater is going onto 6 til 6 for Goods In, so they were telling me Tuesday night, think they said at the end of February,were’nt going to make anyone compulsory redundant, but night staff will be moved to other wharehouse jobs such as picking :open_mouth: . What’s going to happen when their runnig behind, cant push you to the next shift if it aint there :open_mouth:

eddie snax:
The Somerfield RDC at Bridgewater is going onto 6 til 6 for Goods In, so they were telling me Tuesday night, think they said at the end of February,were’nt going to make anyone compulsory redundant, but night staff will be moved to other wharehouse jobs such as picking :open_mouth: . What’s going to happen when their runnig behind, cant push you to the next shift if it aint there :open_mouth:

I can see it now - ‘Come back tomorrow, drive :smiley:

On yer bike matey!! :imp:

:wink: