Safeway

Anybody on here ever drive for Safeway?

Tarrman:

Do you mean Morrisons…? didnt they takeover and rebrand Safeway’s?

Yep i drove for Safeways.

Herongate:

Tarrman:

Erm I mean Safeway when it existed lol. I used to work in the warehouse at the RDC in Warrington, the father in law used to drive for them aswell. I was just curious.

Morrisons took over and sold it off/rebranded some of it and made us all redundant (thanks Ken Morrison, ■■■■■■).

I’m now working at the same RDC (still in the warhouse for now) but under Iceland/DHL doing more hours for less money :unamused:

Was just wondering if anyone on here used to work for them, see if they remember anyone/anything.

Mike-C:

Which depot did you work out of?

It’s funny how the old supermarkets have been swallowed up by the bigger ones. Kwik Save got bought/merged with Somerfield, Somerfield got bought by the Coop. I wonder how long before Iceland gets bought and sold off? Few years and there will only be Asda, Sainsburys and Tesco.

Tarrman:

Mike-C:

Which depot did you work out of?

Swan Valley at Northampton.

Tarrman:

Herongate:

Tarrman:

Erm I mean Safeway when it existed lol. I used to work in the warehouse at the RDC in Warrington, the father in law used to drive for them aswell. I was just curious.

Morrisons took over and sold it off/rebranded some of it and made us all redundant (thanks Ken Morrison, [zb]).

I’m now working at the same RDC (still in the warhouse for now) but under Iceland/DHL doing more hours for less money :unamused:

Was just wondering if anyone on here used to work for them, see if they remember anyone/anything.

I delivered often into the Warrington depot. I never had a good experience there. Always long waits.

No wonder it shut down. Towards the end when Morrisons were taking over/in talks with the union, alot of the workers didn’t give a ■■■■ about the place, once everyone knew the fate of the place they just gave up/started destroying the place. Shame really as people were on a good screw. I was there 18 months mainly working in the chil so can’t really comment about the bad experience when delivering.

Sorry to babble, just reminiscing!

I would have thought that Iceland have no major worries from the big boys, they tend to have the stores in town centres and IMO cater more for the single parents and elderly who are willing to plod into town (as they have more time to do so) and have no driving licence or car to get them to larger out of town stores.

I used to be the Safeway Product Manager at the Atherstone Distribution Centre when it was run by UDC.
Loved the job until made redundant in 92. Safeway pulled the plug there in 93 IIRC.

Did work indirectly for Safeway, through a third party, for a while

Often used to have to go into Tamworth depot on nights

Worked out of Bellshill depot for Safeway.Am still there with Morrisons.Used to run down to Warrington when Morrison took over and changeover with Gadbrook drivers and bring produce loads upto Mossend.

16 years at Bellshill working for Safeway’s cheap labour contractor, Christian Salvesen.
Never had any problem at Warrington at all. Straight changeover and then home, same at Stockton & Felling.
Decided not to work the new shift system when Morrisons took over. As the song says ‘They can take their job and shove it…!’
Dont miss the place at all.
Alex

i worked at safeway tamworth for 12 years until morrisons wrecked it ,i worked in the warehouse first then they paid for me to get my hgv to go and drive for them .it was a great job mon fri nights 6 till 430 .probably have still been there if not for morrisons.

I remember when Swan Valley was set up and the foul up of recruitment. If memory serves it was BRSTaskforce doing the recruiting, the initial intake of 30 or so drivers were supposed to do 3 days in the classroom, some Safeway manager rolled up on day 2 and spouted how things were going to be (completely different to the setup we had been tempted with), from what I heard only five drivers bothered going back on day 3, I wasn’t one of them.

Worked at Safeway (Christian Salvesen - Bellshill) through agency in 2001. Was offered full-time position but left.
Returned full-time in 2007 to Morrisons, with Salvesen being bought over by Norbert later that year.