Any advice greatfully recieved

First of all,hi to all,Iam just about to send off for my theory test.If all goes to plan hope to pass class 2 before xmas and class 1 in the new year.I would like to know how you go about finding work back and forward to Spain,does it require experience or could a novice get a regular job?
If so,any ideas on whats involved,thanks in advance,regards,Jamie.
:laughing:

I think that you would probably need experience before anyone would let you run continental.

The best bet is to find a list of local hauliers that you know run to Europe, and then go and knock on their door, with your overnight bag in hand. If you are lucky they may let you go out to Europe, if not then they may take you on to do UK stuff, until you have a bit more experience under your belt, and then send you out to Europe.

Thanks Lee makes sense,Ive got quite a good knowledge of Spain(drove a vw camper round three-quarters of it)and am learning Spanish.Hope this makes up a little for no experience.Hope Iam not dreaming,this is something I really want to do.

Jamie.

Experience would certainly help but you could find an employer who will let you run double manned to show you the ropes. I have no idea who you’d need to contact but come the weekend you may get some joy.

Another option, how about working for a Spanish company running into the UK? Even harder to point in the direction of potential employers but some-one may know.

I like both ideas,is running double usual on Spanish trips,if it is,that would be ideal.Thanks for your help.

hi jamie

welcome to trucknet

i think you will find it hard to find that kind of job when you’ve just passed your test :cry: . i would give it a couple of years to gain a bit of experience before doing it.

driving on the continent is totally diffrent to the uk what with peak driving restrictions and no weekend movements(in some countries).

but good luck for your test and what ever you choose to do. :laughing:

jon

I think the problem is more likely to be the kind of companys who will take on a novice driver on this kind of work.

Welcome to Trucknet Jamie.

I have to agree with Alan, a company who will take on an in-experienced driver and send them to Spain on their own, would bare a careful checking out first. Making sure you knew what you where getting into.

Granting that every new start is an unknown quantity, at least with a driver of a little experience, there would be a checkable history of some sort. Would you give a total stranger a £60,000+ truck and £0000? load :question: (Not in anyway casting aspersions).

Thanks Simon,thats an an angle I did not think of,If the roles were reversed I would think twice about trusting my ‘‘pride and joy’’ to a complete stranger.
Having been a landlord for the past nine years in the same pub(which is a rariety these days)I know a number of class 1 drivers locally who would give me a reference regarding my honesty and integrity ect.I appreciate this does not prove I can drive a nail into a piece of wood but ,and maybe Iam clutching at straws,if one of them knows someone who knows someone, who knows?Iam going dissy thinking about that last line and I wrote it.Thanks very much for your thaughts ,regards Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

It all depends on how desperate you are regarding the continental work. If you’re happy to work for a low wage then you’ll find that there’s probably plenty of companies who are willing to give you a go - that’s how I got on the European work, and I guess it’s the same route others have followed too. If experience is more valuable than money then you’ll likely find that you could visit a company in the morning and be shipping out in the afternoon. You only have to stay there a couple of months to get used to the job, and while you’re on the ferries or weekended in Europe you’ll often meet drivers who know of other firms looking for drivers.

All is not roses however, as the bottom has dropped out of the continental game now, there are fewer UK firms running out there, and what jobs that are left may not be particularly well paid. Your knowledge of Spanish and Spain will definitely give you an advantage - you’ll be surprised how much more helpful ‘the locals’ can be if you address them in their own language.

Hope that’s of help?

Craig

Thanks Craig,that sounds the most hopeful reply yet.Iam not to bothered about the wage,far more interested in the experience and the chance to practice and improve my Spanish.Could you give me a little more info on how you got started,who you spoke to,what sort of cargo,how long away,how far away ect. I hope you don’t mind me asking so many questions,Iam very green but very keen and your reply has boosted my confidece and resolve no end,thank you. Regards Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

The best advice I think is to actually visit companies so they get to see who you are, and witness how keen you are to work for them. I did just that, having just finished one job I got on my bike and visited all the local firms, asked the question, and left a CV. As one of the previous posters mentioned you may be fortunate enough to be at just the right place at just the right time.

I turned up at a local small haulier who had just had a bloke go sick. There was a near-new MAN 370 unit and mega trailer outside and a load for Charleville-Meziers desperate to go that afternoon. It gave me the break, and once I got reloaded in Reims and back to Cornwall the guy could see I was okay. When a full time job came up a few weeks later I was straight on the firm. The money was no better than what I’d have earned on local tipper work but it gave me the chance to learn a bit of what international driving was like, and in the first three months I did eight countries (paid sightseeing!)

In the days when Murfitts was still going they were advertising for newly qualified drivers to go on continental work, and I believe you spent a few weeks on UK first to see how you got on and then went over the water. There are doubtless more companies like them, although I can’t immediately think of anyone in your area. I know that Owens over in Wales took on young and recently qualified drivers, although whether they do Spain I’m not sure. It’s not normally a huge problem if you’re with a company outside of your area as it’s not like you’ll be taking the truck back to depot very often. For that reason I guess you could try one of the Irish firms as Spain is still a prime destination with them.

As for the basics of continental running, they can vary so much. Some firms get their drivers home every weekend, others will have you out for weeks at a time. I was in the middle, normally turned around once back in the UK before getting down to Cornwall and shipping straight out again - normally 2-3 weeks away at a time. That’s the way the job can be, if you’re in a rush to be home it won’t be for you, but if you enjoy the experience and don’t get homesick (or an earbashing from the missus) then it’s a good life - better than domestic UK work in most cases.

Hope that’s given you some more info.

Craig

Hi Craig,
Thanks again for the advice.The Irish idea sounds good,Ive looked on a jobcenter website and found numerous continental jobs from Ireland.If its not so important to get the truck back to the depot maybe thats the way ahead.Most seemed to want two years experience but there must be someone who is prepared to take the chance,as you said,right place right time,fingers crossed.Regards Jamie.