Another one lost

RIP Driver

jonboy

Sorry to hear the news mate.

I saw a Stralis on the back of a recovery truck yesterday, drivers side looked ok but the passenger side was so bent that the passenger mirror was looking across the back of the cab :astonished: That must’ve hurt.

mucker85:

Pimpdaddy:
RIP drive…
I blame the day cabs, employers are too tight to buy quality safe kit…

I’m not wanting to start a slagging match but that is a stupid thing to say.

It’s not the 1st time he says it, lives in dreamland where day cabs are dangerous and firms shouldn’t send drivers out in them - even though sometimes they make the job 100 times easier - blind side with a window in the back of the cab = doddle, not to mention the length difference, shorter wheel base, improved steering geometry, but because there’s no bed to put all your heavy ■■■■ on, you’re more likely to die in 1 :unamused:

It’s not the first time I say because it’s true. Life to me is more important than manoeuvrability, payload, ease of the job & other such balls you say…!

Would young Mandy still be alive had she been in a day cab…■■?

RIP driver. Still fail to see how a day cab is less safe. Perhaps we should all drive conventionals that big bonnet out front would be a nice crumple zone.

It’s always desperately sad. My deepest sympathies to all family and friends.

R I P driver. Condolences to his family and friends (sad day)

RIP Drive :frowning:

On a side note, I survived a rollover in a day cab

R.I.P driver

Our thoughts and prayers to their family and friends

RIP drive

Madguy :smiling_imp:

truckerjon:
I blame three things, auto boxes, cruise control and fuel efficient engines.
in the “old days” when most trucks were manual, under powered and no cruise control, you were always doing something, accelerating, braking, dropping down half a cog or two for a slope even on the motorways, fighting with the stering in the tram tracks etc. Now most of us can drive for 100’s of miles just pointing the thing in the right direction. Is it any wonder we get bored, distracted, fall asleep?
It would be interesting to know if there has been an increase in accidents and deaths since the introduction of large fleets with auto boxes.

Right with you there Truckerjon…and add to that where some plonker in an office decides its a great idea to cut back the road speed limiter to 85kph.

R.I.P. driver

my condolences to the family.

That looks nasty to say the least and how the heck did he get behind the barrier?

just what my wife dreads as im a newbie and start on tuesday! seems a lot of us lately.

I wonder if it was driver fatigue? or was it likely something else, blow out at the front? careless car driver? I suppose now is alot of questions.

R.I.P Driver and as said deepest sympathy with the drivers family at this difficult time.

regs,
Nick

Rip :frowning:

Personally I lay the blame squarely on the lack of ability to jump on the bunk whenever you got tipped like in days not so long ago, whenever you needed a snooze you had one as and when required. Rarely go to places where that ability exists now.

Phantom Mark:

Personally I lay the blame squarely on the lack of ability to jump on the bunk whenever you got tipped like in days not so long ago, whenever you needed a snooze you had one as and when required. Rarely go to places where that ability exists now.

What? You don’t know if driver fatigue is to blame so how can you say that for this instance?

I had to ask myself three or four time if that was the cab up the embankment :open_mouth: I know it’s horrible to say but I hope it was over for him very quickly. RIP Driver.

All cabs should be sleepers, my arguement exactly…

truckerjon:
I blame three things, auto boxes, cruise control and fuel efficient engines.
in the “old days” when most trucks were manual, under powered and no cruise control, you were always doing something, accelerating, braking, dropping down half a cog or two for a slope even on the motorways, fighting with the stering in the tram tracks etc. Now most of us can drive for 100’s of miles just pointing the thing in the right direction. Is it any wonder we get bored, distracted, fall asleep?
It would be interesting to know if there has been an increase in accidents and deaths since the introduction of large fleets with auto boxes.

I agree with that tbh. I don’t agree that sleepers are the answer, daycabs are perfectly good cabs, but since things changed and driving became nothing more than occasionally turning the steering wheel its definetly a lot easier to “switch off”.

Luckily my works van has none of the driver aids, and doesn’t half keep you on your toes!

would love to know how they manage to do that, on a straight bit of road, 6.30 in the morning ( according to the radio )…but whatever floats their boat, and yes, there are far too many drivers losing their lives when most can be avoided with a bit of care…
R.I.P. to him anyway, and his family.

RIP driver, my condolences to the ones left behind :cry:

My God, situations like this really bring out the idiots don’t they :unamused:

Sleeper cabs save lives :open_mouth: What a load of ■■■■■■■■, you still sit in the same position and if you hit something hard enough to knock you back further than the back of a day cab, you’re [zb]ed anyway :open_mouth:

Cruise control, decent power and autoboxes cause fatigue :open_mouth: Again, a load of ■■■■■■■■, all are meant to make driving less stressful and easier on the driver, they may make it a bit boring, but that’s the job nowadays, if you can’t manage to keep alert driving a lorry down the road for a couple of hours at a time, maybe you shouldn’t be driving a lorry for a living :open_mouth:

Really trying to make a comment on this thread which is positive.
RIP to the driver and hoping his loved ones are coping.

I will say though…I drive automatic, semi automatic and manual trucks on a regular basis.

This week, I have had a good manual truck and have been mostly on A roads, I have not felt tired, sleepy or fatigued.

This thread has made me evaluate how I feel when driving…I can honestly say that if I am driving an automatic, I will feel tired and usually pull over for a ‘power nap’ Especially if I have been driving on motorways/dual cariageways.

Semi automatic, no difference to driving a manual, probably because I am cursing Scania for not being one or the other :laughing:

If I get an auto motor, I actually do not look forward to the day as much, I know the day is going to be longer and that I am going to have a kip.

I am not saying that this has anything to do with this accident, but the thread has taken this route and I thought I would add my experience to date…Which is of course personal to myself.

Sam Millar:

Phantom Mark:

What? You don’t know if driver fatigue is to blame so how can you say that for this instance?

I had to ask myself three or four time if that was the cab up the embankment :open_mouth: I know it’s horrible to say but I hope it was over for him very quickly. RIP Driver.

Merely with reference to any of these fatals which are proven to be fatigue…climb down Sam :wink: