Another loss.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … uries.html

Very sad news indeed. Be interesting know what happened.

Thoughts are with the families

A lot has been made of the drivers age,with many saying older drivers should have health checks(obviously not knowledgable about the current regs),or not be driving at that age at all.
I have noticed that many broken down truck and coach drivers I meet in my job all seem to be older than me and I’m 40.
So a debate seems to be starting regarding fitter and younger or older and more experienced.but if there are no younger drivers coming into driving then semi retired drivers are now the norm.

I was annoyed at the news when not one of them said the possibility of a mechanical issue. It wasn’t raining so it must be the driver. Poor bloke’s died doing his job but to the media he’s just a cheap stab in a tragic story.

10-08:
I was annoyed at the news when not one of them said the possibility of a mechanical issue. It wasn’t raining so it must be the driver. Poor bloke’s died doing his job but to the media he’s just a cheap stab in a tragic story.

I wouldnt go as far to say he was a “cheap stab”, although there seems to be more focus on the two passengers that have died and nothing said about the driver.

Very sad affair all round, I used to go out with the company owners daughter 20 years ago, he’d just packed in on the hgv’s then and started himself off with one bus. Genuinely nice man, he’ll be in bits about this.

all way’s the same, got to be the driver’s fault, doesn’t matter th accident only happened the other day, we don’t need an inquest, the press are alway’s right, so that’s that the driver is to blame so let’s hang him. FFS the poor guy is dead, a family has lost a dad, a grandad and an ex-husband, please can the press stop being judge and jury.

the other concern is the how many seat’s and how many people, i always thought it was 52 seat’s excluding the driver. and there’s usally a jump seat near the front door as well. and the old favourite seat belt’s. bet most of the passenger’s wern’t wearing them and i also think on that age of vehicle it be lapbelt’s as well, and the driver may not even have one fitted…

another sad loss of life on are roads…just asking a question here,if he was going back to Liverpool why was he going up the A3,surely he would have gone M27,M3,A34,M40…To go up A3 would be going miles out the way from I.O.W…must have been a reason why he went A3 sadley we may never know,a tragic loss of life…

MO(Topgun):
another sad loss of life on are roads…just asking a question here,if he was going back to Liverpool why was he going up the A3,surely he would have gone M27,M3,A34,M40…To go up A3 would be going miles out the way from I.O.W…must have been a reason why he went A3 sadley we may never know,a tragic loss of life…

Presumably it was one of the Isle of Wight ferries which dock at Portsmouth, Wightlink etc.

This is the second coach driver in a month who ‘might’ have had a heart attack whilst driving. The other one on the A1 at Gateshead managed to stop the coach as he died.
The fittest of people can die of heart problems, look at Muamba at Tottenham. If he had collapsed anywhere else, he probably wouldn’t have survived.
There but for the grace of God. RIP

When I was younger I wanted to learn to drive as soon as I was 17 years old ,had my licence 3 months later.Nowadays lots of young folk just cant afford to learn to drive a car never mind a truck.I dont envy young folk.

alamcculloch:
When I was younger I wanted to learn to drive as soon as I was 17 years old ,had my licence 3 months later.Nowadays lots of young folk just cant afford to learn to drive a car never mind a truck.I dont envy young folk.

Me too, when I was 17 I paid £72 to insure a Hillman Super Minx, Third Party Fire & Theft, as a learner driver. In the same week as I took home £68 washing pots and pans in a hospital as a holiday job.

Insurancs mad I hear of 17 or 18?years old been quoted 3 or 4 k on a corsa type car.

My nephew dropped dead at 42 with a massive heart attack ---- I was talking to a lorry driver the other day who’s 70 and still doing continental with an artic, he looked fitter than a lot of the teenagers I see walking about, what’s age got to do with it? RIP driver and deceased passengers, condolences to family and friends.
Bernard

alamcculloch:

No they can’t and that put an end to my ADI career. They can’t afford the insurance, they can’t get part time jobs while studying like they used to. The banks are also very unlikely to give them any kind of loan or credit. The parents can’t put them on their insurance because if they are the “main” driver the insurance will not pay out and the parents will be done for “fronting”.

I’ve only moved into HGV driving because the ADI work dried up, I do like driving a truck but had a much easier life as a driving instructor. I think the “recession” is just an excuse for a dying country with little industry left.

My kids are 21 and 15 and I really fear for their future.

albion1938:
My nephew dropped dead at 42 with a massive heart attack ---- I was talking to a lorry driver the other day who’s 70 and still doing continental with an artic, he looked fitter than a lot of the teenagers I see walking about, what’s age got to do with it? RIP driver and deceased passengers, condolences to family and friends.
Bernard

Too true Bernard.

I try and keep myself reasonably fit, I’m not a fanatic, but a cycle ride once per week, pull ups sit ups and press ups everyday and I try to eat healthy-ish (except steak night :smiling_imp: ), but when I was on Roadways, there was a guy there and he was over 70yrs old, didn’t look a day over 55 and was fit as a fiddle, much fitter than me, I’m 35.

Heart attacks can also be hereditary, not just diet or fitness related. They run in 1 side of my family, but not the other.

Not heart attack related, but I had a friend who did pro MMA internationally for a major club, and he’s a year or 2 younger than me, and about 6 or 7 years ago - so he’d have been around 26 or 27yrs old - he had a stroke, he’d not been injured in a fight, was due to fight a couple of weeks later, just out of the blue.

Health problems definately don’t discriminate.

Saaamon:

10-08:

I wouldnt go as far to say he was a “cheap stab”, although there seems to be more focus on the two passengers that have died and nothing said about the driver.

Dosent surprise me there…we all know the publics opinion of us…the public have a better opinion of ■■■■■■ and rapists,than trucks …cos the nuggets think thing in the shop appear by magic