Another driver hi jacked

Not going to repeat the story as it is covered in the link, but what are your thoughts on the police comments?

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/road-freight-crime/2010/02/lego-thieves-abduct-essex-based-lorry-driver.html

Again a lorry driver choses to park in a lay-by and pays the price. When will they learn?

CMPG are constantly monitoring criminal gangs passing thorugh the central area, but we can’t police the whole of the country. Other forces must step up to the plate and play their part in reducing truck crime, as must the hauliers and drivers themselves.

Our DVD ParkWise launched last year is available to view on our YouTube site at www.stammtisch.webs.com

Lay-bys are not, and never will be suitable for the overnight parking HGV’s and I think it’s about time that insurances companies started to exert some influence by withdrawing cover unless a vehicle is properly parked in a service area or truck park.

OK,

1. Build more truck-stops then or get the big garages to lower there price on food and treat HGV drivers with respect
  2. if you want local police forces to patrol Lorry hot spots a lot more, feel free to get the government to dish more money out to get more officers. This country grows everyday but the police forces don’t.
  3. why don’t we just relax the law on driving hours etc so they are able to found a better spot to park and a safe one to.

Theres my 2 quids worth

Steve Rounds in my opinion needs to learn a little bit more about the parking situation for hgv`s in the uk before he makes condescending comments… but then he wont worry about that when he finishes work and goes home to a nice warm safe bed. :unamused:

bowserman:
Not going to repeat the story as it is covered in the link, but what are your thoughts on the police comments?

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/road-freight-crime/2010/02/lego-thieves-abduct-essex-based-lorry-driver.html

Pretty much agree with them.

Does that mean Des Ponsonby is offering us free secure parking?

I am not sure how many spaces Corporate Solutions Logistics have to offer :wink:

PC Steve Rounds has responded to some blog opinions:
roadtransport.com/blogs/road … river.html

JB:
Steve Rounds in my opinion needs to learn a little bit more about the parking situation for hgv`s in the uk before he makes condescending comments… but then he wont worry about that when he finishes work and goes home to a nice warm safe bed. :unamused:

I am interested in the £5 parking places!

Dear all,
following some comments made by PC Rounds regarding parking… a bit of a debate is going on. As a result I’ve been asked by Truck & Driver tow write something on it. So if you have any comments to add, now is the time to do so… just click here: bit.ly/aiomfu
Thanks
Jo

get more secure sites for them to reduce theft of there load

Mike-C:

bowserman:

Pretty much agree with them.

and i agree with you as well although the arguement i would put across, we are both box jockeys and i would have thought that theives in the night would go for the soft target of a curtain sider rather than a container with a bolt seal on and then nosy doors that you have to toe to open. most of in fact maybe all the big containers companys insist you park and pay in secure locations and its a sackable offence to park in a layby with a loaded box on.

im fancying going back on curtainsiders but am worried about security parking at night. at the moment i park willy nilly where i feel like but then if somebody can shift a slab of steel out of the box then they can have it. but if i have anything valuable which we seldom do then its the services for definate.