And I thought the hard shoulder was for EMERGENCIES only

Apparently not :open_mouth: .

Scanny77 to the rescue again :frowning: :frowning: .

Topic : Stopping trucks

how do you get someone to pull over in a truck/truck situation?

i was heading back to soton on friday on the M27 and i noticed a tesco artic had no indicator on his trailer so i sat behind him for a while to see if it was a bulb or possible electrical fault (dirty suzies on our trailers normally. nothing was working so i thought i would do the decent thing and pull him over[/b] ( :open_mouth: ). not as easy as one would think as he was running at 56 instead of the usual 50 :unamused:
anyway, i waited for a gap and pulled slightly into the middle lane so i could flash him over. didnt work! i managed to pull along side and beeped while i gestured him to pull over. didnt work! i ended up pulling in front of him, flashing my hazards for a few seconds then indicating left onto the hard shoulder making sure he followed me. it turned out to be a suzie with the connector severed but at least he was now aware of it and he was heading back to nursling anyway.
what is the most effective way of alerting someone to a fault?

[zb]
I’m surprised the driver didn’t give him a mouthful and tell to [zb] off because in that situation I would have done.
Unbelievable. :imp:
Rest of thread here, courtesy of Barrie’s site.
As is this post. You have taken Personal Attack to it’s limits, therefore I have done the same with the editing of it. I should just pull the whole post, to be honest. L.

Any particular reason why you felt it is necessary to bring this over from another site?

Do you just enjoy ridiculing people?

There is having a laugh, informing people they may have gone too far and then there is Bullying - guess which one this post of yours falls into Rob.

smcaul:
There is having a laugh, informing people they may have gone too far and then there is Bullying - guess which one this post of yours falls into Rob.

I know what you’re saying but I disagree. He (scanny77) has posted this information in the public domain though on a different site and did so in order to get some opinions on the matter. I can’t imagine, nor think he should, have a problem with it being here.

Rob K:
[zb]

And of course the above is constructive critiscism!!!

I am sure Scanny is capable of arguing his own corner, I am just pointing out that I am getting fed up of reading posts where others are being run into the ground, when being constructive would be better.

Quote snipped. L.

Scanny probably thought he was being helpful to a fellow-driver, Rob - thats one of the problems with this industry today, nobody has a minute to spare to help others. I posted a thread on here some time ago (when I first registered on the site,) asking where the camaraderie had gone. The real threats to safety are drivers like the one who was parked on the Northbound hard shoulder this morning. Curtains closed, no lights on - maybe it was a breakdown, but it wasnt a British registered lorry, and its my guess that he was taking a break. Admittedly it was parked on the stretch where the hard shoulder was extended way beyond its normal width, but it is still illegal to park there
Regards
Trev

Sorry Rob, I’m with SMCaul on this one.
I know you have a particular issue with Scanny but sometimes you go over the top in your criticisms.
I wouldn’t have done what Scanny did precisely but I would have pulled alongside and indicated by pointing back to alert the driver to a problem.
It may have saved the driver from a pull because the old bill do not share your correct worries about the hard shoulder if they sense a Brownie Point.

Trevor has a point, it’s all about camaraderie and helping each other with common problems. If there had been websites not too many years ago a thread such as this and others would have been unthinkable. A driver gave me a slow handclap in 1980 because I baulked him when overtaking with a brand new vehicle which, unknown to me, had a primitive limiter which took all my power unexpectedly. I remember being shocked and mortified, I had never before encountered bad feeling between drivers. And it didn’t occur again for a long time either.

Sad.

Salut, David.

I wouldnt mind being told about an indicator that was busted Rob, more so of course if it was a RHS indicator. We used to do like a mad hand signal making an indicator type blink to let each other know. The hard shoulder is well handy for taking a ■■■■ as well! :wink:

Not so sure I would have gone as far as Richie apparently did, but if I do see a truck with a problem and can let the driver know easily I will do so. I consider it a matter of courtesy, not intrusion and would hope others would do the same for me, for which they would be thanked, not ridiculed, sorry Rob cannot agree with you on this one, as far as I’m concerned Richie seems to have acted with the best of intention, so good on yer Richie. As Trev and Spardo pointed out what about camararderie?

Rob K:
[/b] so i sat behind him for a while to see if it was a bulb or possible electrical fault (dirty suzies on our trailers normally. nothing was working so i thought i would do the decent thing and pull him over[/b]
[/quote]
you tripped yourself up there Rob. this quite clearly states that i FOLLOWED HIM TO MAKE SURE IT WASNT JUST A BULB :unamused:
there are 2 arguements here that you seem to have missed
1. the fact is that i was looking out for a fellow driver
2. road safety! he thinks he is indicating/braking when no-one behind him can see that. all it would take is one car to slam the anchors on in front of him and he has an artic ramming him from behind
FAO Rob: [zb] :unamused:
FAO others who have replied previously: thanks for the support and for recognising the real situation ie i was actually trying to do a fellow driver a favour :smiley:
just when i was starting to like him too :wink: :laughing:
Edited for personal attack. Just because someone has started on you, that does NOT give you the excuse to break the rules in retaliation. L.

scanny77:
FAO others who have replied previously: thanks for the support and for recognising the real situation ie i was actually trying to do a fellow driver a favour :smiley:

Although I didn’t mention it in my previous post I did understand what you were doing and appreciate you had the best of intentions :slight_smile:

This must be a Tesco thing.

I was following a Tesco lorry up the M18 on Saturday morning about 02:00 He was running with no lights on his trailer. As I was catching him debating what to do, two cars moving at a great rate of knots flashed past me. The first moved in between us to let the second one past and had what can only be expressed as a change of underwear moment.

So I was left with no option but to run on full beam until I caught him. I then pulled along side and managed to get him to pull over on the hard shoulder of the slip road of at the next junction which, thankfully was not two far away.

A very scary episode.

mrpj:

scanny77:

Although I didn’t mention it in my previous post I did understand what you were doing and appreciate you had the best of intentions :slight_smile:

i was under the impression that this is the reason we are all here. communication is all but dead out there on the roads these days so we are gathering in these websites to re-establish the camaraderie between truck drivers. obviously things have progressed beyond that to other industries such as recovery, roadworkers etc but i personally welcome them since it gives more variety and understanding to our topics of conversation.

going back to the original post, i would rather have a fellow driver pulling me over than the authorities or the gaffer ripping my head off for it :confused:

Im with Rob on this one, drawing level with the driver and making some kind of signal that he has a problem would have been enough.
But pulling infront, hazards on, pulling him onto hard shoulder etc.

I dont think you are in the right job to be quite honest scanny.

smcaul:
Any particular reason why you felt it is necessary to bring this over from another site?

I think its ok to bring it over but for god sake dont mention the4 names of any other sites that are within the industry.

A decent driver would have known one indicator was out of action as he would have noticed that only one directional signal was flashing on his dash instead of two for the left or right side or sometimes if a bulb is out the flasher flashes like billyo instead of normal speed.
As he was a shopping trolley driver he was probley unaware of anything :laughing:
I can see where Scanny is coming from but I think pulling someone over to the hard shoulder is alittle drastic as it is a known fact that the hard shoulder is a dangerous place , maybe would have been better to sit behind him and pull out if he did etc so cars and trucks were not caught out by him changing lanes unexpectley.

Suffolk ReeferBoy:
, maybe would have been better to sit behind him and pull out if he did etc so cars and trucks were not caught out by him changing lanes unexpectley.

if i was heading back to base, i would have followed him until he turned off at nursling but i had a drop to to en route so i couldnt do that. there is also the fact that i dont know how tesco operate. would he have swapped trailers (and noticed the severed line) or backed on to a bay and waited for his load before going back out? i dont know how they work so i decided to let him know about the problem :confused:

Rob K, if you’ve got a problem with the actions of Scanny 77, why didn’t you reply on the other site instead of telling tales on this one?

there is also the fact that i dont know how tesco operate. would he have swapped trailers (and noticed the severed line)

if he didn’t notice it on his morning checks he wouldn’t have noticed it if it was dark. i would have pulled alongside and give him a pip and tryed to explian it to him whilst on the move with hand signals.

then again i did pull a trollie over the other day because his trailer brakes were nearly on fire

jon

Suffolk ReeferBoy:
As he was a shopping trolley driver he was probley unaware of anything :laughing:

Really :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :open_mouth:

Personally if my indicators / trailer lights were out I would hope another driver would find some way of indicating that before Mr Plod did, because of that I would certainly signal another driver with a fault - can’t really see why such a big thing is being made of someone trying to help a fellow driver.

G