This hard shoulder running needs stopping

going through the roadworks between m1 and jct 30 [east bound] on the m62 i was following another truck, we moved out to lane 2 to let the car and trucks join from the sliproad[nb- theyve shut lane 3 for repairs so using hard shoulder as lane 1, lane 1 is 2, we go for a little bit then suddenly left indicator commes on truck, i can just see car on inside, but in split second he moves left ,then goes right, so i thought hed seen car at last moment , but suddenly a spinning car commes flying out from front of truck ,id already hit the brakes but it just kept spinning then seemed to dig in , flew across straight into cab off my truck.
luckily for the young girl shes shook up but o.k :smiley: :smiley: , but after chatting with her she said she saw the indicator come on but had nowhere to go,she cant remember anything else other than seeing something red approaching fast[ my truck] i assume.now its alright using hard shoulders for running on[roadworks ,m42 etc] and in the past ive thought it o.k but today if it wasnt being used as a running lane it may just of given her somewhere to go. just my thoughts

now just a few questions
1, id assumed in the event of a r.t.a , youd have tachos checked, even though accident wasnt my fault , but there were only two checks, breath test , and due to the fact i dont carry license a check was made, is this normal.
2. copper who came said that as no one was injured he wasnt getting involved and h.a chaps would give me any details i need, all i got was incident no and they say it should be on cctv if insurance require it,also other drivers details. if i remember right didnt we used to get cppers no and no to ring about accident :question:
anyway the main things the girls o.k , seeing that car spinning and spinning , heading at one point for the central reservation i feared the worst

A thought - there is no hard shoulder on a dual with 2 lanes

i know what you mean rog, but on most motorways there is a hard shoulder, and just listening to the fact she saw the truck drivers indicator come on gave me the feeling if she wasnt running on the hard shoulder she may of taken the option of swerving onto the hard shoulder to get out the way. it just doesnt sit comfortably with me like it used too

It seems from your report that the trucker put on signal then moved instead of putting signal on for say, 6 clicks, and then moving as that would have given the car about 2 seconds to plan & react.

I’ve been where a truck did just that and my car was a write-off - all for the sake of not indicating an ‘intention’ for 6 clicks in a situation such as this one !!

yep exactly what happened, but how long had he been looking in mirror to check , he may of been looking and just not picked her up in blindspot,i felt a bit sorry for him to be honest, hed done the decent thing by moving out to let the cars on from the slip road, but because it was a 50 limit[roadworks they couldnt do there usaul 70 mph up the inside of us, they had to sit there all bunched up at 45 mph. he said he was sure theyd all gone but just hadnt picked her up in mirror. he also seemed a bit worried about work as things wernt good and he was worried about the reaction he would get.
i must admit i didnt used to move out for cars but im told our lot are big on the publics perception of us, not good p.r sending car driver down hard shoulder if there is one. so lately ive been moving out for them, but after watching todays events i may rethink.
my other thought could i have warned him, helped him to know she was there, couldnt flash him as hed think i was telling him to come over, mate said hit the horn, but would it warn him or confuse him, it was all split second really so i dont think theres alot i or any one could do really do.just one of those frustrating senarios
i just wondered your a driver trainer, ive never heard it but wouldnt it be a good idea to train car drivers in the dangers of running next to a truck, how many times have you seen them running along for miles next to the front wheel of a truck,

that is included in the proposal i am putting together ady. awareness of other road users including trucks and motorbikes. the standard driving test is totally inadequete so i am suggesting a 2 part test. part 1 being the standard basic car control that we currently have. part 2 consisting of motorway tuition, poor weather, awareness, skid pan etc etc etc. we are not the problem, car drivers are. no one is telling them not to sit next to trucks so how are they expected to know? we all know that when we are overtaking a truck in our private vehicles, its a good idea to hold back until you can clear it just in case he/she needs the space then get past quickly but most car drivers havent got a clue about trucks and that is the reason for so many side swipes. it isnt that the trucker doesnt look, its because some dopey car driver decides to crawl along next to them in the blindspot. even worse are the ones that we have to overtake and they tend to do one of 3 things. carry on as they are, match your speed or accelerate, let you pass, pull in behind and then overtake you when you pull back in. options 2 and 3 is difficult to assess from the cab. are they behind or in the blind spot? you cant sit watching your mirror for the full manoeuvre so you will lose sight of them while you are watching ahead. THEY need training, not us!

1, id assumed in the event of a r.t.a , you’d have tachos checked, even though accident wasn’t my fault , but there were only two checks, breath test , and due to the fact i don’t carry license a check was made, is this normal

1> When involved in a RTA you will get breath tested no matter what ( Down to officers discretion)
2> Police national computer is linked to DVLA so the police are able to check that way to gain info about your DL, so yes it is normal :laughing:

. copper who came said that as no one was injured he wasn’t getting involved and h.a chaps would give me any details i need, all i got was incident no and they say it should be on CCTV if insurance require it,also other drivers details.

As it is a damage only RTA there is no need for a police investigation into the RTA so as long as you passed details over to her and she passed hers over to you, you are in the clear as you obeyed the law under section 24 of the road traffic act if i am right ( off the top of my head maybe wrong) but either way you did alright

hope you are both ok and fine and it is good that she did not get hurt.

ooh if you look at it you have good reaction and shows you have good awareness around you so keep up the good driving

As the officer said, unless there is criminal offences disclosed, we deal with all none injury RTC’s, we even have the powers to arrange recovery and no longer need to use the police recovery.

and thats why the HA was brought in, to save time for the police officers like PCSOs do lol :angry:

ady1:
‘…this hard shoulder running needs stopping…’

Only a philosophical bit to add here that I’ll start by asking ‘whose ‘…needs…’ are those’? I’ll end with a workable suggestion.

My understanding is that priorities of governmental agencies constantly evolve due to higher road-user density & revised road-use standards that get adopted, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, little more than top-tips and a need for us all to amend our learned understanding of how to behave in changing/declining conditions combined with the subtleties of change that quietly emerge (but remain largely unknown) in the much disregarded and Teflon-shouldered Highway joke-book, sorry ‘Code’.

I suggest that it should be sent free to all licence holders to, not least, help aid the mental health of all drivers - that way somebody might get to read and adapt to its apparent desire to make all drivers less flippin’ hasty and our place of work a bit more safe…

My company recentley fitted ‘blindspot mirrors’ to all our trucks as an insurance requirement. Like what the foreign trucks have it sticks on the passenger window and gives you a view in the area below the passenger door where you cant normally see, would this have helped prevent an accident from occuring?

Grayham:
My company recentley fitted ‘blindspot mirrors’ to all our trucks as an insurance requirement. Like what the foreign trucks have it sticks on the passenger window and gives you a view in the area below the passenger door where you cant normally see, would this have helped prevent an accident from occuring?

it was about a x reg truck ,so id guess it didnt have a idiot mirror, but never looked so dont know for sure ,but it does make a difference having one, but ive still had the odd time where ive not picked up a car in it but ive normally got that un-easy feeling someones down there so stay where i am.

So Rog

When moving from lane 2 to lane 1 do you or should you indicate :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You know where I’m going with this dont you :laughing:

Re: Hi all, and whats your opinion on…
by ROG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 am

The only indication I very rarely give is from lane 2 to lane 1 as it usually serves no purpose. I will not go into lane 1 if safety gap has not been achieved. The moment you indicate an intent to do so then the vehicle behind accelerates. Indicating at the same time the move is done serves no purpose.

From lane 3 to lane 2 is an indicator must as someone might be thinking about pulling out of 1 into 2 - tends to cause probs if doing so at the same time !!

i ran through there yesterday and i thought wed moved out for cars comming down slip road but we didnt, comming down slip road they go directly onto hard shoulder and us comming along m62 keep going into lane 1, so we didnt actually move over for them as i thought.
NICK your not MIKE-C in disquise by any chance, he loves looking through the archives of trucknet to find mine or somebodyelses totally contary quote of 6 months ago :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ady1:
i ran through there yesterday and i thought wed moved out for cars comming down slip road but we didnt, comming down slip road they go directly onto hard shoulder and us comming along m62 keep going into lane 1, so we didnt actually move over for them as i thought.
NICK your not MIKE-C in disquise by any chance, he loves looking through the archives of trucknet to find mine or somebodyelses totally contary quote of 6 months ago :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: No sorry mate just that the quote I gave was on a subject only talked about this week :laughing:
back on the subject to hard shoulder running

The M42 and soon Bristol will be using the same as the 42 hard shoulder running the hard shoulder is closed through the junction.
Drivers joining the carrageway should join the traffic flow but NOT undertake. maybe they should have a stay in lane marker for 300 yrds to allow traffic to join then after this marker traffic should be encouraged to move over.
Maybe the matrix signs should say something like lanes 2 and 3 for overtaking only