3 Dead M1......Hardshoulder again!

This is a major problem.

I see it all the time.Us truckers and coach drivers should plan ahead and get in to the second lane when a fellow trucker is broken down,aa man or anything is on the hard shoulder.
Its good practice!!
If im overtaking a truck and i spot sumone in the hardsholder i ease off and flash the truck to give him the option!

Would you like a 44tonne truck flying past you and your family whilst your broken down■■?

I understand people shouldnt wait in there cars but we should still take this action.

God bless those who have passed to day.

buses:
This is a major problem.

I see it all the time.Us truckers and coach drivers should plan ahead and get in to the second lane when a fellow trucker is broken down,aa man or anything is on the hard shoulder.
Its good practice!!
If im overtaking a truck and i spot sumone in the hardsholder i ease off and flash the truck to give him the option!

Would you like a 44tonne truck flying past you and your family whilst your broken down■■?

I understand people shouldnt wait in there cars but we should still take this action.

yep mind it’s easier on nights to do this as on days you’ll always have that scroat undertake you giving it the Maxwell house

If the signs were up showing use hard shoulder, and the car which had allegedly broken down on the hard shoulder was :cry: :cry: visible by a camera then the Highways Agency have blood on their hands!!! :cry: :cry:

I agree its good practice to move over but these types of accidents happen because the driver on the main carriageway has been oblivious (for what ever reason) to the vehicle on the hard shoulder. You can only move over if you have seen something to move over for

I still get the “maxwell house” for pulling or staying in lane 2 when I can’t see ahead in the “use hardshoulder” section. Especially along the J12-13 stretch of the M1 going past Flitwick off and on slips in particular… (also past Luton & Toddington on/off slips in the same section of road)

I don’t trust using the hard shoulder for a “live lane” when I can’t see past the next bend/next hillock - just in case someone like today is sitting there, broken down for whatever reason, and you’ve then got nowhere to go. Easier to stay in lane 2 until you get around the bend, over the hill crest - by which point the “hard shoulder live line” is often merging back into 3 lanes by that point.
Thus, I find myself not driving in them at all on these regular routes like M1 northbound past luton…

buses:
This is a major problem.

Its good practice!!

I can’t disagree but in heavy traffic the least I do is move as far over as possible in the lane I’m in and ease off, if I can I will straddle the second lane to give even more room, be carefull of moving totally into the next lane as some numpty who doesn’t see / understamd whats going on may bollock it up your inside increasing the risk… just sayin.

In light traffic I will move over completely but watching for numpties who see undertaking as the best option.

Course thats providing I’m alert enough to have spotted them well in advance like a proper driver, which I’m not.

Dipper_Dave:
like a proper driver, which I’m not.

That’s 2 threads you put yourself down as not being a proper trucker …will you stop doing that :imp:

After all it’s OUR job to do that numpty nutz :grimacing: :wink:

Coach driver arrested

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be … s-31469329

nick2008:

Dipper_Dave:
After all it’s OUR job to do that numpty nutz :grimacing: :wink:

Quite right, self deprecation aside my purpose on the planet is irrelevant compared to the suffering of the families and friends of those who have lost their lives today.

For what its worth my sincere condolences to all who are affected by this tradgerdy.

tango boy:
If the signs were up showing use hard shoulder, and the car which had allegedly broken down on the hard shoulder was :cry: :cry: visible by a camera then the Highways Agency have blood on their hands!!! :cry: :cry:

6:45 on a Saturday morning - I very much doubt the hard shoulder was being used as a live lane.

m1cks:

tango boy:

6:45 on a Saturday morning - I very much doubt the hard shoulder was being used as a live lane.

True mate :blush:

Dipper_Dave:
For what its worth my sincere condolences to all who are affected by this tradgerdy.

+1 fella its always sad regardless

Winseer:
I still get the “maxwell house” for pulling or staying in lane 2 when I can’t see ahead in the “use hardshoulder” section. Especially along the J12-13 stretch of the M1 going past Flitwick off and on slips in particular… (also past Luton & Toddington on/off slips in the same section of road)

I don’t trust using the hard shoulder for a “live lane” when I can’t see past the next bend/next hillock - just in case someone like today is sitting there, broken down for whatever reason, and you’ve then got nowhere to go. Easier to stay in lane 2 until you get around the bend, over the hill crest - by which point the “hard shoulder live line” is often merging back into 3 lanes by that point.
Thus, I find myself not driving in them at all on these regular routes like M1 northbound past luton…

Thing is mate it ain’t up to you to agree or disagree with the system.
Speaking broadly and not referring to specific stretches, this system was devised to ease congestion. They have spent millions developing these new stretches and if people are not using them it is turning a 4 lane stretch back into a 3 lane, which defeats the entire object of the excercise. It’s exactly the same situation as middle lane hoggers turning a 3 lane into a 2 :bulb: I’m sure that as a pro driver you are aware of the keep left when possible rule, so in that context how can it be acceptable, all you are doing is adding to the problem that is trying to be solved, hence the coffee shaker gestures.
I don’t know if the tragedy today has anything to do with the hard shoulder being used, but no system is 100% safe.

buses:
This is a major problem.

Its good practice!!

Coach drivers should do a lot things but they don’t ,I class them as lower than white van man ,constantly tail gating loaded or empty ,using the fast lane when it suits them the list is endless ,not proffesional drivers in any way .

Dan Punchard:

buses:
This is a major problem.

Its good practice!!

Coach drivers should do a lot things but they don’t ,I class them as lower than white van man ,constantly tail gating loaded or empty ,using the fast lane when it suits them the list is endless ,not proffesional drivers in any way .

So ALL coach drivers are ■■■■ drivers, so when people say ALL truckers are ■■■■ drivers (as a lot do) do you reckon that’s a fair comment?

no that’s not a fair comment ,nearly all coach drivers I see on the motorway are doing what I said above ,and carrying passengers I think they should be speed limited lower than lorries .

Dan Punchard:
no that’s not a fair comment ,nearly all coach drivers I see on the motorway are doing what I said above ,and carrying passengers I think they should be speed limited lower than lorries .

Interesting double standards there. You must see a lot more coaches than me to come to this enlightened educated conclusion. After all you must be on to something with all these awful coach accidents every week. Oh, wait…

tango boy:
the hard shoulder was visible by a camera then the Highways Agency have blood on their hands!!! :cry: :cry:

Why would they :question:

What are eyeballs for ?

Signals are a backup to try and warn people there may be a problem ahead and to try and manage traffic not absolve drivers of any responsibility to use their eyes and drive accordingly.

Despite masses of automated technology saying “queue ahead” people are forever running into the back of a queue, can you explain that one ■■

I did wonder why buses aren’t limited to 56 like we are. Our cargo can be replaced if anything happens, the cargo bus drivers move about can’t :bulb:

speedyguy:

tango boy:
the hard shoulder was visible by a camera then the Highways Agency have blood on their hands!!! :cry: :cry:

Why would they :question:

What are eyeballs for ?

Signals are a backup to try and warn people there may be a problem ahead and to try and manage traffic not absolve drivers of any responsibility to use their eyes and drive accordingly.

Despite masses of automated technology saying “queue ahead” people are forever running into the back of a queue, can you explain that one ■■

Can’t explain that one at all everybody is different as is eye sights, but what i was getting at if the hard shoulder was a live lane and the car was broken down they should be switching the lane lights off if that was the case!!