Ahh bum :( looks like work might be sparse next week or two

I’ve been working for a food firm out in the boonies and typically either go over to cheshire, via bradford having set off at noontime so I’m back about half 7… or do 3 local runs to newark, thorne and near drax starting out at 11ish and back around 7 or 8 again.

and so, I’m back last of all and parking up in an empty yard, sort out the papers and lock up after me.

tonight I finish up, and notice the farm/factory area on the other side of the road has a lot of steamy looking stuff coming from it - no smell, off we go in the car home, 50 yards up the road can’t see owt so stop, window down - chuffin’ hell! that stinks!

somethings clearly burning, plasticcy - only thing that far back behind the houses are buildings belonging to the firm :frowning:

got the brigade on their way, and rang the transport manager and went home (nowt I could do).

but even if the factory isn’t damaged, any goods are bound to be smoke damaged and lost so there’ll be two ways this swings…

if the production line can work, then it’ll be working overtime and needing extra drivers to cover the lost gear…
or if it IS damaged there’ll be sod all for a couple of weeks :frowning:

not just me either - a few other drivers, office workers, warehousemen, and factory workers, so a lot of people affected by a small local firm. I’ll be saying me bed-time prayers tonight that as little damage as possible has been done - or indeed it was somoene else’s building and I was mistaken!
not holding out mush hope right now though :frowning:

all speculation for the moment though eh!

phew!

turned out it was a conveyor-belt fire - and its not affected production too much.

back working for them 10pm wednesday, distributing to smaller retailers around manc-land.

first time ever properly hand-balling.

any tips for that?

el gordo 78:

any tips for that?

Don’t expect much help, except where you least expect it.

Yeah if it’s heavy, watch your back! 7 years working in a pallet yard lifting pallets the correct way, no back problems. Then 1 month at Business Post lugging taps and my back goes.

Andyroo:
Don’t expect much help, except where you least expect it.

Yes thats true first handball I did in to a fast food outlet with 3 big guys to help took 1 hour due to them doing [zb] all, 2nd drop me and 2 of the smallest women you’ve ever seen (and i’m thinking here we go again) (no disrespect to the ladies here! :wink: ) Only took 20 MINS!!!

el gordo 78:
phew!

any tips for that?

Yep, one good tip, learn to say “I DONT HANDBALL”, then open the doors/curtains and get back in the cab. If they order stuff that needs delivering on lorries they should have the means to unload them :unamused:

markets and greengrocers I think (its beetroot products), and no tail-lift (or steps up for that matter).

should be fun, me built like a weeble trying to get up in the back :smiley: