R we in

Or are we out Boz has been a bit vague regarding working over lockdown

I started back yesterday after Xmas lockdown.
In normal.times this time. Of the year is quiet for us anyway.

Did a full day yesterday. Got back 6ish was told.days paid leave today unless work come.in wait on a phone call.
After last night’s announcements who knows. Work was asking who’s in vulnerable group who’s shielding who wants to work if there’s work.
I just told them.not fussed. If there’s work there’s work. If not I’d be happy.to go back on furlough.
There having a meeting today assessing the situation.
During 1st lockdown was on furlough. But dont think this lockdown will be as severe more places will be open etc

Wot, you mean lorry drivers?
Arguably the most essential workers in the country, if we stopped work for even a week the repercussions re food shortages alone would echo for months, a month off and there would be riots with gangs of looters stealing food from those unable to defend their larders.
2 days of no fuel tankers and everything stops moving by day 4.

Remember the videos of morons barely able to walk upright fighting over some chinese rubbish telly in a black friday sale? or arguing over bog rolls last spring, imagine that X thousands when the food shelves run out.

No doubt things will be quieter for those not directly involved in the food chain.

keepthefaith:
Or are we out Boz has been a bit vague regarding working over lockdown

If Johnson was “a bit vague” that is a vast improvement over his normal “ain`t got a clue” mode!

Phone call yesterday… furloughed…again!
Fuel industry is dire at the moment.
Should have stayed in the food sector!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No vagueness at all.

He said it becomes law the early hours of Wednesday morning but he wanted people to be doing it right away. Same sectors as first lockdown will be able to operate and people who have health conditions have to isolate so I guess that means I’ll be working flat out, not that I’ve stopped, when it’s supposed to be a quiet time of the year. Agency already sent out key worker letter if we need to prove it to anyone.

For those of us still working it’s back to the good old days of the March lockdown, night time levels of traffic during the day, an almost empty M25, being able to do Howden to Brighton and back in a single day with time to spare. Just a shame it’s winter as it was nice in April when it was sunny and warm.

Already last night within hours of its announcement I was getting passed by the ■■■■■■ brigade in their motorhomes tanking down the A1, no doubt trying to make it to the ferry or eurotunnel to try to leave before it came into place. Hope they’ve packed well because they might not be coming back for a couple of months.

Conor:
Already last night within hours of its announcement I was getting passed by the ■■■■■■ brigade in their motorhomes tanking down the A1, no doubt trying to make it to the ferry or eurotunnel to try to leave before it came into place. Hope they’ve packed well because they might not be coming back for a couple of months.

I dont doubt for an instant that you saw them. I wonder though how many will simply be turned back at passport control? I dont think any other countries are keen on having non-residents entering except in special circumstances. Happen, more than a few will be heading north again very soon. Those with documented main residences in the EU may get through, but those looking to go camping won`t.

The word on the street was that the agencies were inundated with full-time drivers wanting supermarket work when the first furlough kicked in. Never been busier apparently! Probably the same again with all the panic buying kicking in again. Good luck getting bog roll, bread, flour etc.

Noremac:
The word on the street was that the agencies were inundated with full-time drivers wanting supermarket work when the first furlough kicked in. Never been busier apparently! Probably the same again with all the panic buying kicking in again. Good luck getting bog roll, bread, flour etc.

I’m not sure. Some will go mental for sure, but the majority will hopefully remember the world didn’t end and we didn’t have a barren spell of toilet tissue etc.

I dont think as many people will be furloughed this time around. Too many “essential” things like my load of waste rubber and reload of waste rubber formed into engine compartment insulation for Jag/Land Rover :unamused:

Personally I’ve asked for furlough. As things stand I’ve got an 8-year-old son with a closed school that needs looking after way ahead of work. I got told no, so I’ll be just be off unpaid by the looks of it.

Franglais:
I don`t doubt for an instant that you saw them.
I wonder though how many will simply be turned back at passport control?

I’d like to think all of them, a copper stood at the entrance to the port and the Eurotunnel telling them to go home and handing out a £200 fine as they do, given that that corner of the country was already in Tier 4 and people in it not allowed to leave the UK.

paulant18:
Should have stayed in the food sector!

I would be surprised if the food sector keeps going without furlough in the longer term, except supermarkets, as hotels, pubs and cafes are all closed (except limited takeouts).

Fuel is also a strange one, unless garages aren’t selling as much due to people supposedly staying at home? Plenty of trucks need diesel, but no idea what the ratio car to truck fuel sales is. I’m assuming this is forecourt not heating fuel.

I think the best industry to be in currently is anything to do with farming, or ADR pallets which last time was propped up quite a bit in my experience at least by farming. Not sure about this time yet.

Is furlough back to the 80% again?

toonsy:

Noremac:

I’m not sure. Some will go mental for sure, but the majority will hopefully remember the world didn’t end and we didn’t have a barren spell of toilet tissue etc.

I dont think as many people will be furloughed this time around. Too many “essential” things like my load of waste rubber and reload of waste rubber formed into engine compartment insulation for Jag/Land Rover :unamused:

Personally I’ve asked for furlough. As things stand I’ve got an 8-year-old son with a closed school that needs looking after way ahead of work. I got told no, so I’ll be just be off unpaid by the looks of it.

Don’t know your circumstances obviously but as a driver your classed as a key worker and the school should be open for children of key workers(transport and distribution is on the list somewhere) my 5 year old went as normal Tuesday morning(I’m a driver and wife’s in social care) the school emailed Monday night after the announcement and just asked if we are continuing as we did in March,I could have taken furlough this time as it’s absolutely on its arse this time for us but I turned it down and let someone else take it who wanted it…

Yeah sorry I need to clarify a bit more.

He can go in as a key worker child. Our local authority specify that a single parent or single parent/guardian pair (ie both mum and dad, or mum and mum, dad and dad, non binary and non binary etc) must be key workers to enable attendance which luckily myself and my wife (she looks after kids of doctors and nurses and so on at an NHS childcare centre) so yes he can go.

But theres no before and after school care which we relied on quite heavily now. That part has been closed. So now my lad used to go to school from 07.30 until 17.30 but now its only 09.00 until 15.00. We also used to rely on my parents on odd days to either take him or pick him up. Now they’re both back shielding. They’re still willing to pick him up but I don’t think they should be at the moment.

I’ve offered to start early everyday to get done by 1400/1430 but it got refused and asked for furlough but that got refused (after they sent out an email asking for volunteers to he furloughed a few days ago) so I’ve no option really other than to just not go to work because there’s nobody there now to drop him to school or pick him up whilst playing by the “rules” of the present lockdown.

However the school messaged at 22.30 last night to say that before and after school will remain open until the end of the week to.give people a chance to make alternative arrangements so I’m in for the rest of this week but after that I’m running low on options.

toonsy:
Yeah sorry I need to clarify a bit more.

He can go in as a key worker child. Our local authority specify that a single parent or single parent/guardian pair (ie both mum and dad, or mum and mum, dad and dad, non binary and non binary etc) must be key workers to enable attendance which luckily myself and my wife (she looks after kids of doctors and nurses and so on at an NHS childcare centre) so yes he can go.

But theres no before and after school care which we relied on quite heavily now. That part has been closed. So now my lad used to go to school from 07.30 until 17.30 but now its only 09.00 until 15.00. We also used to rely on my parents on odd days to either take him or pick him up. Now they’re both back shielding. They’re still willing to pick him up but I don’t think they should be at the moment.

I’ve offered to start early everyday to get done by 1400/1430 but it got refused and asked for furlough but that got refused (after they sent out an email asking for volunteers to he furloughed a few days ago) so I’ve no option really other than to just not go to work because there’s nobody there now to drop him to school or pick him up whilst playing by the “rules” of the present lockdown.

However the school messaged at 22.30 last night to say that before and after school will remain open until the end of the week to.give people a chance to make alternative arrangements so I’m in for the rest of this week but after that I’m running low on options.

Ahh that’s the difference then as my little Un’s after school club has stayed open(I’m on nights but starting anytime after 10am at moment).
Sounds a bit of a poor do either by your company or your co-workers,they should have put you on furlough due to your circumstances (I would have hoped one of the co-workers who didn’t really need it would have swapped).
Hope they see some kind of reasoning and sort it out for you,nobody should be taking it unpaid when others probably could be swapped to accommodate…