Advice with CPC Mod 4 Question

One of the questions in the CPC Module 4 is:-

a) I’d like you to point to the centre of gravity on this vehicle

b) Explain what effect driving forces would have on this vehicle if it were fully laden

The official answer on the examiner’s sheet is

1. Point to the centre of gravity

2. Acceleration could cause the load to move backwards or fall off the back

3. Braking could cause the load to move forward

4. When turning it could cause the load to continue on it’s original path and fall off the side

I am having a problem explaining the answer to part (a). Assuming the vehicle is an unladen box lorry where would be the best spot to point at.

I would say it’s the main chassis

i would say it some where on the box of the truck near the cab and in the middle of the body

the centre of gravity is affected by the vehicle weight, load your carrying and the length,width and hight of you truck, for you to fine it

We are supplied with Technical Data Sheets for each type of vehicle. These are provided by the manufacturer; it’s a default setting that we get them but I’d guess that ‘normally’ you’d need to request them from the dealer or manufacturer.

The TDS’s also come with the ratings/specifications for each of the recognised lashing points as well as other info such as varying CoG’s depending on the weight and dimensions of the load (and therefore dunnage requirements).

Having said all of that, I think it’s a bit steep/technical to be a question for a driver doing DCPC.

marcustandy:
Having said all of that, I think it’s a bit steep/technical to be a question for a driver doing DCPC.

I’m not so sure as it seems they are trying to get the driver to work out how much ‘sway’ there would be when cornering

A double decker bus has a very low centre of gravity as the main weight is close to the floor but a drop body truck or roll on/off truck has a much higher centre of gravity which may leave it more prone to roll over.

Here’s my shot at it! - I would suggest - a) Using both hands (as though explaining the length of a fish!!) point towards the middle section of the box, an area just forward of the rear axle.
If i’m way out then whip me :smiley: but its tough enough without getting so technical.
I’ve voiced my opinions about this mod 4 before and i’m not a fan but if we’ve got it lets try and keep it as simple as poss! :unamused:

The examiner should be happy with - centre of the vehicle, just forward of the rear axle at floor level - This can be done by walking to the position and pointing to the point you are explaining.