Cpc module4 test

Hi,could someone explain a correct load distribution including fully ladden and half ladden vehicle,also includin type of load and vehicle body.Could some1 explain to point the centre of gravity in box vehicle and how to release the tension bar(correct procedure)THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Hi,could someone explain a correct load distribution including fully ladden and half ladden vehicle,also includin type of load and vehicle body.Could some1 explain to point the centre of gravity in box vehicle and how to release the tension bar(correct procedure)

Fully laden: evenly distributed throughout the load area and secured

Half laden: Place the weight over the rear axle - working forwards towards the cab. Secure it.

Centre of gravity. Sorry don’t know how to do pictures on this but I’ll try and explain. Imagine a box. Draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. Where they cross is the centre of gravity - assuming a cemetrical load throughout the body. For purposes of MOD 4 test, simply take the area half way along the body and half way accross. Go up in the air 3 feet and say with confidence “There’s the centre of gravity”. Not strictly true but it will pass the test.

To release the tension bar, release the catch and let the bar relax. No problem.

Have you had a problem with these things then?

Hope the above helps. Regards, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Hi,could someone explain a correct load distribution including fully ladden and half ladden vehicle,also includin type of load and vehicle body.Could some1 explain to point the centre of gravity in box vehicle and how to release the tension bar(correct procedure)

Fully laden: evenly distributed throughout the load area and secured

Half laden: Place the weight over the rear axle - working forwards towards the cab. Secure it.

Centre of gravity. Sorry don’t know how to do pictures on this but I’ll try and explain. Imagine a box. Draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. Where they cross is the centre of gravity - assuming a cemetrical load throughout the body. For purposes of MOD 4 test, simply take the area half way along the body and half way accross. Go up in the air 3 feet and say with confidence “There’s the centre of gravity”. Not strictly true but it will pass the test.

To release the tension bar, release the catch and let the bar relax. No problem.

Have you had a problem with these things then?

Hope the above helps. Regards, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thank you very much PETER.

Hi vileon76,

Peter has given you a great answer above, but I’ll have a crack at an alternative explanation…

For the purpose of keeping the explanation straightforward, I’m thinking of a two-axle rigid vehicle.

:bulb: My suggestion is that you consider the load from the rear AND from the side in a 3D sense. :wink:

The center of gravity is an imaginary point at the center of the mass of the load, so it doesn’t matter whether the load is regular or irregular in shape, the load WILL still have a center of gravity.

If you’re standing at the rear of the vehicle, the centre of gravity should be neither to the left nor to the right of the centre line, otherwise the vehicle would lean to one side or the other.

If you’re standing at the side of the vehicle, the centre of gravity should be somewhere in the center between the axles, otherwise the vehicle might be too heavy on the front or rear axle.

Once you’ve considered BOTH the rear view and the side view for any load, I reckon you’ll know where the center of gravity is. :smiley:

As Peter mentioned, it’s about weight distribution, but I’d still suggest that you think of it in a 3D sense.
I also agree with Peter’s point about it not being strictly true, so we’re not over-complicating it with exactitude, but it is near enough for the principle involved in the test that you’re about to take. :wink:

:bulb: It’s perfectly possible to put a legal load on a vehicle, yet still be overloaded on one of its axles or ending up with the vehicle leaning dangerously.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

This is going from what my instructor told me and the answers I gave on the test.

The centre of gravity is the floor so point along the bottom of the loading area,

the question is about half loaded, Its paper, steel and empty roll cages,

I was told to point to the headboard and explain that I would place it at the front to stop any forward movement under braking.

He will then lead you over to the trolley and ask you which restraining device you would use. If in a box motor opt for the tensioning bar.

Then explain how to use the device, leave about an inch gap on one end, push the handle down use your strongest arm. To release it there is a little silver catch right next to the handle push this down and lift lever. Keep you fingers out of the way off the teeth.

I got a question very similar to this one on my test and they were the answers I gave and I got 100%.

Remember to take your time, give yourself a minute to think before you answer the question. Be confident and tell them what you are doing all the time. Really exagerate every thing you do. If you get the border crossing question check every little crook and cranny remember the fuel cap as this is one of the four points they want you to hear.

Good Luck if it helps I wrote a guide to the cpc mod 4 test goes based on my test.

dieseldave:
Hi vileon76,

Peter has given you a great answer above, but I’ll have a crack at an alternative explanation…

For the purpose of keeping the explanation straightforward, I’m thinking of a two-axle rigid vehicle.

:bulb: My suggestion is that you consider the load from the rear AND from the side in a 3D sense. :wink:

The center of gravity is an imaginary point at the center of the mass of the load, so it doesn’t matter whether the load is regular or irregular in shape, the load WILL still have a center of gravity.

If you’re standing at the rear of the vehicle, the centre of gravity should be neither to the left nor to the right of the centre line, otherwise the vehicle would lean to one side or the other.

If you’re standing at the side of the vehicle, the centre of gravity should be somewhere in the center between the axles, otherwise the vehicle might be too heavy on the front or rear axle.

Once you’ve considered BOTH the rear view and the side view for any load, I reckon you’ll know where the center of gravity is. :smiley:

As Peter mentioned, it’s about weight distribution, but I’d still suggest that you think of it in a 3D sense.
I also agree with Peter’s point about it not being strictly true, so we’re not over-complicating it with exactitude, but it is near enough for the principle involved in the test that you’re about to take. :wink:

:bulb: It’s perfectly possible to put a legal load on a vehicle, yet still be overloaded on one of its axles or ending up with the vehicle leaning dangerously.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Big thank’s for your answer.

Big Brummie Macca:
This is going from what my instructor told me and the answers I gave on the test.

The centre of gravity is the floor so point along the bottom of the loading area,

I was told to point to the headboard and explain that I would place it at the front to stop any forward movement under braking.

He will then lead you over to the trolley and ask you which restraining device you would use. If in a box motor opt for the tensioning bar.

Then explain how to use the device, leave about an inch gap on one end, push the handle down use your strongest arm. To release it there is a little silver catch right next to the handle push this down and lift lever. Keep you fingers out of the way off the teeth.

I got a question very similar to this one on my test and they were the answers I gave and I got 100%.

Remember to take your time, give yourself a minute to think before you answer the question. Be confident and tell them what you are doing all the time. Really exagerate every thing you do. If you get the border crossing question check every little crook and cranny remember the fuel cap as this is one of the four points they want you to hear.

Good Luck if it helps I wrote a guide to the cpc mod 4 test goes based on my test.

Big thank’s for answer,probably you now what types of restraining device suitable for box vehicle.Tell me please,which1?Cheers.

Sorry, but I have to question the above. The centre of gravity cannot be on the floor. D/Dave makes that very clear in his explaination. The question refers to palletised paper, steel sheets or loaded roll cages. Placing any of this up to the headboard runs the risk of front axle overload.

At the demonstration trolley, the demonstration of the load securing device relates to the load just spoken about - not the type of vehicle presented for test. So the load tension bar would only be used for roll cages.

I’m pleased you passed 100% but I must admit I’m baffled :laughing: :laughing:

Like I say mate, I can only go from what my instructor told me.

I got told that selecting the loading device was for the vehicle and not the load, I did on my test mention that if I was driving a curtain sided vehicle I would use a strap but the examiner told me thats fine and moved onto the next question.

I didnt get the question about the centre of gravity but that is what I was told to say, the test after me got the question on centre of gravity he pointed to the floor of the bed and although he failed he got a mark for that question.

1 6
a) You have delivered part of your load and are left with half a load of empty steel cages inside your box van. Show me by pointing to the correct distribution area(s) on this vehicle where this load should be placed. b) Select which restraining device you would use to secure the load. c) Show me how you would secure the load with the restraining device using the load securing trolley. d) Show me how you would release the restraining device.

From flair training questions that you posted on my cpc thread

I am not questioning you mate, after all you are an instructor I am just going on what I got told. I think this high lights the problem with the whole DCPC it has not been thought out properly and over time I think this will really show up

Peter Smythe:
I’m pleased you passed 100% but I must admit I’m baffled :laughing: :laughing:

When I am down my parents will scan my report sheet in. The company I trained with have only had 1 person fail the mod 4 test and he has now failed it 5 times I think his problem is retaining information rather than wrong information :smiley:

:bulb: Here’s a link to a descriptive post by Big Brummie Macca on the subject of what to expect on the Mod 4 test:

LINK :arrow_right: CPC Mod 4 Test - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

When I am down my parents will scan my report sheet in.

I don’t doubt what you say and I certainly believe you! But, when I say I’m baffled that’s directed perhaps at the people conducting the test. Their own lack of experience sometimes shows through and I believe this is just another example of this. But before we go down the route of slagging off examiners, bear in mind that there’s very few drivers out there who actually know everything that is required on a Mod 4 test. I suggest that the examiners could benefit from more training which would then lead to consistency.

loaded roll cages.

I’M WRONG! Doesn’t often happen - but I’ll hold my hands up to this one! This is a classic case of making assumptions on my part and I deserve to be hung for it! I assumed the cages were loaded and that’s wrong.

To put it nicely, there seems to be a wide spectrum of acceptable answers on the Mod 4 test. Certainly the answers that satisfy some examiners are not good enough for others. :laughing: :laughing:

Certainly the answers that satisfy some examiners are not good enough for others. :laughing: :laughing:

There’s a shock…nothing new there then.

I didn’t write that out loud did I?

That is the reason why in my post, things like which restraining device to use I wrote to follow their instructors advice as I dont know if all instructors do this but mine made it part of his job to chat to the examiners and sort of fined out what they expect.

The examiners are humans so there will always be differences wont there. I will admit though when doing the training for the dcpc my instructor asked me about the centre of gravity and I gave a similar answer to you and DD but instructor told me what to say.

Also the load question if I was out on the road and had half load of steel or paper or anything with a bit of weight to it, I would put it over the rear axle and secure it like you say.

For know though I really dont care I have got the bit of plastic I need and start work in September, looking to do my ADR (CPC approved) to get 21 hours off my periodic training.

Hi. Don’t want to drag this thread on and on but I just want to clear up the thing about which restraining device is to be used. It is definitely, without a shadow of doubt, decided by the load described - not by the vehicle presented. Think about it. The vehicle has to be a MTV (minimum test vehicle) so by definition it’s a box or curtainside. So when do you think the chains would ever be used?

As an interesting aside, we had a case a few months ago where the examiner started on the palletised paper question, the lad answered the position question correctly and identified the strap as being the restraint method. The examiner then asked for a demonstration of a dolly knot! Outcome - refunded test fee as the examiner was incorrect. The test is still reasonably new - some examiners have conducted very few of them so it’ll take a while for the glitches to show themselves and be sorted.

BBM - good luck with your ADR. :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks mate, and to any one about to do the test take Peters advise on restraining. He is an instructor and will of trained people to do this test many times. I was a learner and can only go on one test.

If in any doubt clear it up with your own instructor.

Hi,could someone answer,please. You have delivered part of your load and are left with half a load of empty steel cages inside your box van. Show me by pointing to the correct distribution area(s) on this vehicle where this load should be placed and what type of loads are suitable for rigid box vehicles?CHEERS.

vileon76:
Hi,could someone answer,please. You have delivered part of your load and are left with half a load of empty steel cages inside your box van. Show me by pointing to the correct distribution area(s) on this vehicle where this load should be placed and what type of loads are suitable for rigid box vehicles?CHEERS.

Sorry to drag up this ageing thread but for this particular question we have always used the answer “Put the empty steel cages against the headboard and use the extending tension bar to stop them moving backwards” Only ever had this question a couple of times but got marked with a 20 (the maximum) for the answer each time