Centre of gravity - module 4 Cpc

On a truck and trailer ( scania unit with a skeletal trailer including 45ft box) were would the centre of gravity be ■■

Think of centre of gravity as the absolute point of balance. A point on the vehicle where the weight above and below is equal. The weight behind and in front of it is equal and the weight to the left and right of it is equal.

On a ball the C O G would be inside exactly in the centre. Think of the truck as that ball and picture where that point would be.

If you get this question on the test mention that the higher the load is stacked then the C O G would rise upwards.

The 2nd part to this question on the test requires you to explain that the load would attempt to move forwards on hard braking backwards on hard accelerating and that the load would try to continue on its original path during harsh cornering.

I hope all this makes sense.

I understand the movement of the loads under harsh braking etc, so I don’t have to actually point out to the examiner were it just explain we’re it is ?

We use a box bodied rigid for the test and as the examiner will ask you to point to where the centre of gravity is we teach to point to a spot about 3 feet forward of centre and around the height of the loading bed. This is near enough and you can always back it up with the explanation above. To date nobody has lost any marks using this answer. Good luck.

LGVTrainer:
We use a box bodied rigid for the test and as the examiner will ask you to point to where the centre of gravity is we teach to point to a spot about 3 feet forward of centre and around the height of the loading bed. This is near enough and you can always back it up with the explanation above. To date nobody has lost any marks using this answer. Good luck.

I will have a 45’ container on which will be sealed, I can still use the same procedure can’t I by pointing out and describing ?

Where ever you point to, who can prove it isnt there?

The cog always depends on what kind of load youre carrying, in what kind of trailer, its something that experience helps you determine.