Advice Please

I passed my Class 2 last September and then Class 1 in November. Like many others here, I have been having difficulty in finding work despite the widely reported shortage. Anyway, it looks like I am in with a chance of possibly 2 jobs in the near future. The first is with a builder’s merchants who need a Class 2 driver with Hiab which I have got. I am to visit them tomorrow. The other, is driving a milk tanker. OK, sounds great and I am very happy. My question is, should I go for the builder’s merchant’s job if offered. My aim is to drive Class 1. The milk tanker job which is also Class 2 could lead to Class 1 work as that company has both types of lorries if you understand me…but the second job won’t come along for another few weeks. Should I hang on?
Another quesion I have is do companies requiring Class 1 drivers happily take on guys with only Class 2 experience? Does this Class 2 experience go a long way in other words? Thanks in advance…

I am now waiting for the builder’s merchants’ to get back to me regarding rates of pay. I will be required to drive an Izuzu (which is less than 7.5 and doesn’t require Class 2) with hiab. I will sometimes be asked to drive another lorry which does require Class 2 when the regular driver is off or whatever…I am a bit disappointed by that. I would still like to know if this will be good experience etc if somebody in the know could help…?

I’d hedge your bets and take the Builders Merchant job, even if you then leave soon after to go on the tanks. It’s all paid work, and any experience is good experience. :wink:

Lucy:
I’d hedge your bets and take the Builders Merchant job, even if you then leave soon after to go on the tanks. It’s all paid work, and any experience is good experience. :wink:

I couldn’t agree more, good luck. :wink: :laughing:

So on paper you’re still an inexperienced cat C driver, that’s what an employer will see.

TBH go for the builders merchants, the HiAB should push the rate up a bit, and it’s all money and experience.

You dont have to stay there for ever, so if the milk job comes up you’ll be in a better position to get it as you’ll have experience at the builders merchants to show them, lots of manouvering in alsorts of places not designed for trucks. Much like collecting milk from farms i would imagine… :wink:

Lucy:

Agreed, there is no substitute for ‘hands on’, good luck Ader1 :laughing:

Thank you all for your replies…I have accepted the builders’ merchant’s job and will start next week. I visited another site which isn’t job specific and asked the same question but in more general terms and I was basically given the same answer ie do what’s best for me and not be too bothered about the company. I guess you do have to pull your finger out and go for it and look after yourself because it can be a pretty cut-throat world out there…Anyway, this is one reply I got from the other web site today. Made me chuckle…

"Money is money in the UK today, any loyalty has gone out of the window the moment Thatcher came to power in 79. Take the job, do the work and continue to look around. The months notice isnt binding, if something better comes up jump ship.
Take UK MPs, loads were claiming second home fiddles, policemen jumping speed camers, if its no problem to them it should be no problem to you. Your duty is to yourself."

Good point about the notice period, if you dont give them their proper notice period then there isnt a fat lot they can do about it :laughing:
Apart from refuse a ref, they still have to pay you everything they owe you though

I have no experience on Class 2,have never driven a rigid apart from on test,and that was a toy rigid being a Iveco Cargo.

Go for the class 1 mate,I did :wink: I also smashed into lots of things in my first few weeks :unamused: :blush: and caused a thousands of £s of damage,but my company still had faith in me a kept me on,and now im Britains best lorry driver FACT :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

only yoking

Do what YOU feel is best,I wanted to drive a big truck,and not ■■■ around with little gayboy trucks,so i went straight to class 1,but that is just my childish way of looking at things :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,and i have no regrets for doing so

All the best to you whatever you decide :sunglasses: