New

Hello all!

Firstly I just want to say that I’m very pleased having found this forum, everybody seems very friendly and helpful and there is A LOT of useful information on here! :smiley:

Basically I am looking at doing my class 2 then going straight for my class 1 with the aim of finding class one work. I’ve always enjoyed driving and much liked the idea of truck driving (My Dad has been a lorry driver for 30+ years and I enjoyed going out with him to work when I was younger), but I was just looking for some advice.

I have spoken to my Dad who thinks I should go for it, that I shouldn’t struggle to get work as he’s never struggled for work in the industry and that he thinks i’ll enjoy it etc etc.

I thought it best to check with the community too!

What I want to know is (I know nobody can say definitively) what would be the likelihood of me finding work (agency or full time) quite quickly after passing? I live in Peterborough and I will be 24 before I pass my C+E which will hopefully be around August/September time.

Would anbody care to guess what wages I should expect to earn too? I’ve seen agency jobs for anywhere between £10 p/h to around £15 in my area and full time jobs ranging from £25k a year to £30k+. Would I have a realistic chance of securing this work?

Any and all help for a new driver would be much appreciated, and I thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

I live in Essex got offered a job for 26k a year delivering building products after 1 day in a class 2. If you have your class 1 you should be able to get class 2 work easily enough but it is often hard work physically. Class 1 work in my area money wise is not much more but is a hell of a lot easier, but I’m struggling to get people to take me on full-time with no class 1 experience and I am 25.

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

I hadn’t thought about working on class 2 in the meantime but it’s now something I am definitely going to consider! I’m guessing class 2 involves more start/stop and drop offs? Would be good experience still I guess!

Have you had any luck with class 1 going through agencies?

Thanks again!!

Did you only manage to find class 2 work once you had your class 1 licence?

I’ve got a bit of class 1 work but most of it is class 2. Agencies will say they have the work but wont. This week been mostly doing all the crap that no one else wants to do; hand-balling heavy crap off of an 18t vehicle. Agencies generally give you the jobs no one else want to do when you start.

Ohh ok. I’m hoping that I can get class 1 work but I don’t know how realistic that is with no experience. I thought going through agency would be a good way to get a foot in the door and gain that golden ‘experience’.

Do you have regular work generally? Be it class 2 or class 1?

Thanks again!!

In my area there is always class 2 work because most people don’t want to do it.
If your dad is in the industry he could probably talk to the right guy and get you a start. In the transport industry its who you know that gets you somewhere.

Just out of curiosity Chad, are you a Kevin Bridges fan by any chance?

Ohhh I see… better than not having work on either I guess!

Yeah that’s a good idea and I will definitely speak to him around jobs… I didn’t think the transport industry was too much of a ‘who you know’ industry!

I appreciate your advice! :slight_smile:

Who is Kevin Bridges?? hahaha… what gave it away?? :wink:

Didn’t think it’d be too long before somebody pointed that out lol :laughing:

ChadHogan:
Yeah that’s a good idea and I will definitely speak to him around jobs… I didn’t think the transport industry was too much of a ‘who you know’ industry!

)

It is some sectors, I know some of my competitors drivers names and mobile numbers!

Repeating myself, I took on a 24 year old that was doing some casual yard work for another company that we called into and gave him his first Class 1 job, we were looking for another driver and his mate who was 23 was looking for a job, so we took him on. So it can be a. who you know and b. doing your best in whatever job you are cos you just may impress someone enough that they offer you a job.

Good luck!

I will definitely take this on board, I hope that if I can get my foot in the door then I will be ok, but I will ask my dad and see if he can ask a few people and try and get me an interview at least… If not i’ll just have to keep knocking on the door!

I appreciate your advice and well wishes, genuinely :slight_smile:

Scott (Not Chad)

Hello all!

Firstly I just want to say that I’m very pleased having found this forum, everybody seems very friendly and helpful and there is A LOT of useful information on here! :smiley:

image.png

ChadHogan:

I saw his show recorded at the SECC was on comedy central the other night so I recorded it and I had just literally watched the part where he was talking about chad hogans amazing american parties a few hours before I saw your username. Coincidence abound!

The-Snowman:

ChadHogan:

I saw his show recorded at the SECC was on comedy central the other night so I recorded it and I had just literally watched the part where he was talking about chad hogans amazing american parties a few hours before I saw your username. Coincidence abound!

You mean… the F*****g SECC!? Hahahah. Coincidence indeed lol. :laughing:

Check this out and skip to 5:18… He actually found a Chad Hogan and went to his house party! hahahahaha

youtube.com/watch?v=bIajqwE7t7A

malcolmgbell:
Hello all!

Eh?

ChadHogan:

malcolmgbell:
Hello all!

Eh?

Sarcasm, irony, banter and generally having the p taken out of you goes with the job :wink: I belive Mr Bell may be suggesting.g that the forum has its less than cheery helpful moments :laughing:

albion:

ChadHogan:

malcolmgbell:
Hello all!

Eh?

Sarcasm, irony, banter and generally having the p taken out of you goes with the job :wink: I belive Mr Bell may be suggesting.g that the forum has its less than cheery helpful moments :laughing:

It’s hard to read sarcasm but I’ll just assume everything is from now on! Haha :laughing:

ChadHogan:
You mean… the F*****g SECC!?

As its known locally :laughing: