Accident CCTV - How does it work?

I followed a wagon today (57 reg, rigid, Nelson Transport, Keighley) and on the back it said ‘Accident CCTV in Use’. I can make an intelligent guess at what it is; the words Accident and CCTV give a clue! They’ve probably been caught out once to often by the lowlifes who ‘set up’ accidents in order to make a claim. But I didn’t know there were such systems available. Anyone know anything about it?

have a look here truscene.com/Default.aspx?As … eSupport=1

looks like a good bit of kit

I guess it’s a camera or cameras set up around the vehicle, which are continually recording on a loop of, say, 10 minutes - i.e. what it’s recording now is overwriting what it recorded 10 minutes ago. If you have an accident, then the overwriting stops. So, it can be used as evidence to prove the guilt/innocence of their driver, and to stop fradulent insurance claims.

Just looked at that link Busby and, as you say, it does look a good bit of kit. I know someone who went into the back of a car in a roundabout because it stopped deliberately, almost certainly so all four disreputable looking occupants could claim for ‘whiplash’, which they did. And the company was stupid enough to pay. And then they gave my mate a warning letter to compound the injustice! So I’d be up for one of these cameras in my cab.

We have these fitted to are Arriva buses,they can hold about 28 days on the hard drive,all area`s of the bus are covered except the drivers area. I had a do with a guy over parking,in the formal investigation that followed, the CCTV proved me to be correct and the case dismissed.The footage is not downloaded unless there is a complaint or accident. I would welcome it to be fitted to my vehicle anytime.

As has been said they normally record on a loop and then overwrite the previous loop unless told not to (via a switch or something)

However one vehicle I drove had an accident record system and before I set off i was briefed how to use it.

“There’s a button up here by your sunvisor, if you are going to have a crash, push this just before, and then once again afterwards and it will all be on film”

So that’ll be me taking a hand off the wheel to push a button when perhaps I should be holding on to something for dear life!

Alex

I want one.

I’ve had a furtle round their website but cant find any costings.

Anyone know how much ?

Or whether there are alternatives ?

dambuster:
I want one.

Anyone know how much ?

at the bottom of the page it says “lease options from 50p a day” but to get to that price i would imagine you need to lease a few cameras.
good idea tho, although i would want more than 25 seconeds before and 5 seconeds after on the automatic side incase of road rage etc
just a quick lok around the site says "fitting only £79 + vat which shows that the camera will be in the hundreds of pounds mark i think

A cheaper opton i guess but no loop feature.

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ATC-2000

dambuster:
I want one.

Anyone know how much ?

Just had the the X DRIVEN system fitted ,it cost about £170. A one of payment.
It records continuously, saving 30 second before and after an event, an event is triggered by any sudden movement in the truck. It also comes with a manual button again this saves 30 second before and after the button is pressed, this comes in handy if some hot babe is wandering about near the truck.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
A cheaper opton i guess but no loop feature.

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ATC-2000

Thanks Longtimeinstructor, but I think the auto-record loop thing is what makes them quite appealing. Well - for their “genuine” intended purpose.

alfa man:
Just had the the X DRIVEN system fitted ,it cost about £170. A one of payment.
It records continuously, saving 30 second before and after an event, an event is triggered by any sudden movement in the truck. It also comes with a manual button again this saves 30 second before and after the button is pressed, this comes in handy if some hot babe is wandering about near the truck.

That’s not too much out of the way (Lets be fair - how many paid upwards of 250 earth pounds for the first generation TomToms ?)

A quick look at Vision Technique’s website lists £250.

Are they designed to be a permanent fixture, or can that be easily overcome ?

I’m getting more and more into this idea.

More for an amusement than anything else, but clearly - they may have some actual benefit during a real coming together.

i believe a lot of hire cars in the states have them fitted to help sort out claims for holiday makers before they jet off home again.

it seems to help a hell of a lot of claims and could, potentially, save you thouands of pounds in insurance and court costs.

seems a good idea because it even records what the driver was doing at point of impact so if your driving like an idiot then you pay but if you are driving properly you are quite safe

Ah - my bit of fluff has just pointed out a flaw in the plan :blush:

Some of them have voice recordings :confused:

I think it might be a problem when the recording capture me saying “Yeah - I’ve got one 'ere”

“ZB off you ZBer. You’re not coming in here”

“You come any closer you ZBer and you’re going in that ZBing ditch”

:blush: :blush: :blush:

The first thing i did with the XDriven was plug it in to the laptop go into it,s settings and switch of the voice recorder.