Smart Witness Accident Camera

Just recieved one of these bits of kit with my insurance (through Towergate) and wondered if anyone has ever used one and which setting they use it on. Bit of a technophobe myself and there are that many different settings for sensitivity etc I don’t know what i’m doing! Cheers

Anyone■■?

no idea how it works but they’ve been discussed here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75075&p=977082&hilit=smartwitness#p977082

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=72955

I’m thinking about fitting one too, so would like to hear how you get on !

Yes, I have one in my car, essentially you don’t need to do anything beyond fitting it to the windscreen and plugging it in to the 12/24v supply, it continually records and deletes, but if you are involved in a collision the inbuilt motion sensor will save the last 30 seconds prior to the collision and the 15 seconds following it.

If this does happen then you just need to take the SD card out and plug it into your PC, download the software and then you can send the accident footage direct to your insurer.

It doesn’t record sound, so you don’t have to worry about your insurer listening to you talking to yourself. :wink:

It’s just the different settings of it thats a bit confusing. You can have it on ‘event record’ or ‘continuous record’. Just trying to find out which setting people used them on!

xfmatt:
It’s just the different settings of it thats a bit confusing. You can have it on ‘event record’ or ‘continuous record’. Just trying to find out which setting people used them on!

I would guess that you need it on continuous record, event record suggests to me that you switch it on to record an event that’s going to happen, not much good for an accident unless your planning it in advance :open_mouth:

Martin:
I would guess that you need it on continuous record, event record suggests to me that you switch it on to record an event that’s going to happen, not much good for an accident unless your planning it in advance

On the instructions an ‘event record’ is when a bump is picked up by the built in impact sensor and therefore thinks you have been involved in an accident and stores the recording. You can change the impact sensor to different sensitivity modes.

A continuous is when it is recording all day long and if you are involved in an accident you would have to look through the records for the whole day. I understand that part, was just wondering which setting people used theirs on!

Martin:
I would guess that you need it on continuous record, event record suggests to me that you switch it on to record an event that’s going to happen, not much good for an accident unless your planning it in advance :open_mouth:

This is probably a thread best kept away from by people who have zero knowledge of the subject under discussion. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Martin:

This is probably a thread best kept away from by people who have zero knowledge of the subject under discussion. :wink:

I have had a similar camera that I bought in the USA, used it for about 3 years until it died. That had 2 settings, continuous record which recorded a one hour loop, and instant record that recorded 10 seconds for each press of the button. My reply was based on my knowledge of that camera and was trying to be helpful, your sarcastic comment certainly was not IMHO!

Leave it continues record in the event of a bump it will save the footage. Need to experiment with the sensitivity settings, depends on how smooth your truck rides. It will record sound but this can be disabled.

ive had one for about a year and have it on continuous record and just let it record and erase then you can just scroll through the menu to look at a specific time or event from the previous 24hrs and it does record sound!

I use a Roadhawk and it records continuously and will eventually over write data, it will record 40 hours or more depending on which size memory card you put in it. The unit can be set to various sensitivities but I found it needed to be on the least sensitive in my truck or it would record too many ‘events’ that will not be overwritten. There is also an ‘event button’ that you can press to save a recording. Again the amount of recording before and after the event can be changed. Hope this info helps