Camera being fitted to my truck

Anyone have experience with this ?

Our whole fleet is being fitted with forward facing cameras, how does this work ?

Is it permanantly recording ?
Does it only record when the truck is moving ?
Can it be viewed remotely in real time or does it have to be downloaded to be seen ?
They say its just forwards facing, would they have to tell me if there were in cab cameras ?

I dont mind a black box kind of camera set up that has recorded an accident i may have been involved in but im a little spooked that my truck is now fitted with cameras that i cant see.

Any information greatly recieved :slight_smile:

Good idea in my opinion, I vid was posted on here just a few weeks ago where a guy in an insignia cut a lorry driver up, collided and accused the lorry driver until he pointed out everything was on camera…

Our whole fleet is being fitted with forward facing cameras, how does this work ?

atleast the camera isnt pointing at the driver!

If they are anything like the road hawk ones, they just record all day long and continually re writes over the old files.

Should you have an incident the device will store X amount of data before and after the incident, if it’s a good system it will also record gps locate, speed, g-force etc

So, your plodding along the A1 at 49mph, someone cuts you up, you have a bump

Car driver jumps out, accuses you of speeding. Cutting him up, five people in the car and they all have whip lash, when in reality it was his fault… Then you have all this on camera, at this point you call the police and point out to him everything he has said and done it on video,

Some of the really top end systems will even alert your office of the incident.

It’s only a good thing in my opinion.

Just found the link to the video I mentioned.

Notice the amount of information been recorded, speed, direction, times date etc

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2gda7QBg4

They guy accused the lorry driver at first until the driver told the 3rd party that it was all on camera, then he held his hands up

Can only be a good thing, I wish our place had done it instead of me having to buy my own

Madguy :smiling_imp:

They should be mandatory IMO. Just think how much the industry could save fitting cameras to their fleets by cutting out false claims, cash for crash claims etc. The savings on your insurance premiums would probably far outweigh the cost of installing the cameras. Could be good for our public image by proving that its not always the truck drivers fault in an accident as the case seems to be these days.

Thanks for the replys and the link :slight_smile:

I agree it can only be a good thing having a forward facing camera fitted, its just ive heard stories of firms fitting cameras that monitor the inside of the cab aswell, im sure they would have to inform the driver if they were fitted, i dont like the thought of my bad singing / sandwhich eating /sleeping being recorded but i would be covering up any camera thats recording the inside anyway.

[quote=
>
“rockape2620”]Anyone have experience with this ?

Is it permanantly recording ?
Does it only record when the truck is moving ?
Can it be viewed remotely in real time or does it have to be downloaded to be seen ?
They say its just forwards facing, would they have to tell me if there were in cab cameras ?

I dont mind a black box kind of camera set up that has recorded an accident i may have been involved in but im a little spooked that my truck is now fitted with cameras that i cant see.

Any information greatly recieved :slight_smile:
[/quote]

All our trucks from 2007 onwards have a camera looking thing (which in my oppinion can only be a camera) mounted facing the front and I believe they are a good idea, the amount of accidents where some idiot has just cut infront of a truck and hit the brakes then the truck driver has got the bame for being too close is unfair. One of our drivers was on the GW Bridge one afternoon and the dispatcher called him and acually quoted the licence plate number of the car in front !!! Deffo camera :laughing:
My truck also has that damm radar built onto it on the front bumper, it tells me how fast the vehicle in front is travelling and ajusts my speed to keep the distance, when someone hits the brakes in front it automaticaly slams my brakes on. It actually put a flat spot on one of my tyre once.

robbo99:
Our whole fleet is being fitted with forward facing cameras, how does this work ? At least the camera isnt pointing at the driver!

FOR NOW! :unamused: :imp: :smiling_imp:

got one in my wagon it records all day and holds about a weeks worth then records over the first day etc.
If you have a bump it stores from the previous 30 seconds before any impact it also records speed time and place via google maps
.I have used mine once to report a muppet who took exception to me taking half a mile to pass another lorry, he pulled in front of me and hamered
on his brakes HARD i just missed him he then slowed right up and did it another twice, all recorded and shown to the police.
one thing to remember,they also record your voice so all singing,■■■■■■■■ about the TM etc will be stored :blush: :blush: :blush:

If it’s a roadhawk then a quick press of the left button mutes the mike and you can call him anything you like :laughing:

Some of the forward-facing cameras have a second camera that records the driver, for example the Roadhawk RH-2. However, the majority of these cameras are forward facing only.

I suspect those operating LGVs are unlikely to review the footage from a forward-facing camera unless there is an incident or complaint.

Let me guess, you’re a bit worried your boss will catch you skiving outside after you’ve tipped :wink:

I have my iphone set up so that its pointing out of the windscreen and with an app downloaded from the app store called the “witness driving app”.
It will record 10 x 6 minute segments and then overwrites whats already recorded.
Video is not to bad and also records speed and location.
Any problems/accidents and I can save as many segments as I want.
Also if you see anything interesting you want a record of then just hit the red button on the screen and it saves that segment.
App costs 69p.
I know its only forward facing and it wont catch everything but at least when a muppet decides to carve me up and slams his brakes on, I have a record of it.
The only downside is that if your phone rings or you are constantly yapping on your phone it wont work while the call is in progress.

we have drivecams fitted they have inside facing cameras as well pain in the arse they get sent to a place in america then they comment on the video following to close no seatbelt not looking far enough ahead if its one of them be warned

ive driven with them and you just forget there there :smiley: till a close call with some ejit and havent got one :bulb: then realised how it could have saved me from blame :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If /when I get one, I feel like getting a sign made for the rear of my truck saying

" Cutting in??
Smile for the camera! :wink: "

i am thinking of buying one of these camera,s i am sick of people brake testing me in roadworks when it goes down to one lane and they carve me up as they just miss my bumper
what is a good one to get ? :question: