Forward facing cameras - anyone had to use footage?

A couple of months ago a van cut in and removed a bumper corner on the slip road to A12 from J28 M25, it was a suicide do or die attempt and the driver admitted liability at the scene. Now apparently he is denying it despite an independant witness who stopped.

I’m thinking that a forward facing camera could have saved me a load of aggro trying to describe and depict the incident and would have taken the his word against mine element out of it. I’m probably going to buy a cheapo one (any recommendations?) but wonder if anyone has had to use the footage and did it help or did it not make any difference to the insurance claim.

Cheers.

I have a cheapo one and can’t recommend it.

But, to be honest, it’s a case of “if I did something wrong, I’d hold my hands up, it costs me nothing, but if I was lying it could potentially cost me my job, so, why would I lie?”

Nobody wants to ■■■■ up, nobody wants to tell their boss they’ve ■■■■■■ up and cost the company money, but it’s a choice of the boss going “what a plonker” and the boss giving you your p45, no point trying to hide it.

So, you’re in the right, you’ve a witness that says you’re in the right, there’s literally no problems, stress or agro for you to worry about, fill the forms in and move on

We have forward facing cameras in our trucks, in the event of an accident they get taken away to downloaded but i dont think any footage has been used to make a claim because usually once the guilty party knows theyve been caught on camera they own up straight away :slight_smile:

ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-CAR-CCTV-D … ology&hash

thats what i use,it’s ok on play back and if you put a 8 or bigger sd card in then it will take a full shift recording.
never had to use it as such but pointed it out a couple of times and that has caused the other person to back off from trying to blame me.

I use an app called autoboy blackbox and i bought a dashboard mount to put the phone in the window. The app is free on Android and it seems to work well. It records an hour at a time and then starts again. I got a big ol’ 16 gig sd card. There’s a save option on there too.

Haven’t had cause to use it as evidence but it’s recorded some superb moments.
All it cost is the price of a mount, 20 quid ish

As wayne stated, an independent witness should be all you need to prove your side of things. However, a picture paints a thousand words, as a man once tried to sing, and IMO, even a cheap camera can record some pretty amazing footage, provided its reliable and records on a loop. These things don’t lie, but you have to typically have them on a long time before anything really worthwhile crops up, of course.

Had mine turned on for 3 year and used it once when a women strayed into my lane on the m74 and caught my rear curtain ratchet. Stuck a big hole in her door and smashed her window. The footage proved i did not leave my lane even though it didnt see the actual crash, she told the police i swerved into her lane :laughing: Its a proper one roadhawk gives you speed, google maps, gsensors all that ■■■■■■■■.

Daft boot was probably doing her makeup!

gezt:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-CAR-CCTV-DVR-HD-RECORDER-TRAFFIC-ACCIDENT-MONITORING-DRIVING-CAMERA-2-5-LCD-/250929200857?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash

thats what i use,it’s ok on play back and if you put a 8 or bigger sd card in then it will take a full shift recording.
never had to use it as such but pointed it out a couple of times and that has caused the other person to back off from trying to blame me.

Now ordered one of amazon + 8gb scandisk memory card £25 in total inc p+p :wink:

Thanks for the replies, seems like the threat of having it used is more useful than the thing itself. I’ll always hold my hand up if to blame but the insurance company are calling this a roundabout collision and apparently the witness is out of the country. Doesn’t take much imagination to see this going to a knock for knock.

If I knew that was to be the case I’d have knocked his head off for the knock on my bumper :smiley: