A webcam in the cab. What do you make of this?

Last week, a fellow colleague asked me to go and have a look at something in his cab.
It was a box in the middle of the windscreen, at the bottom. On closer inspection I found it to be a special type of camera that can be accessed from the computer in the office. It was pointing directly ahead and films the road, and generally whatever is directly in front of the truck at any given moment.

This really made me sad. As if trackers, tachographs, smoking bans and mobile phones were not enough, this camera is the final straw with regards to any type of privacy. I chose this career because the freedom attracted me to it, primarily.

I rang my boss and asked him what it was for and he was really cagey. He wouldn’t give away anything. On further probing he mumbled something about insurance.

What do you think? Have you seen these before? Does your firm have them? If so, why do they have them? Are you happy about it?

Yes your boss could be right here.

They are widespread in America where the insurance companies will give reduced rates to firms that install cameras.

The idea behind it is that the cause of the accident is filmed and thje evidence is on tape, rather than two insurance companies arguing over blame.

Looks like it is about to catch on over here too.

its a good thing,if you brake heavy or swerve it starts filming and recording whats going on in front of you,it can also be set to film the driver in the same circumstances,
no disputing what has gone on or who,s fault it is ,humans are not very good to admitting fault in an accident ,aint know escaping now,exel have them fitted at widnes,the best bit of advic is if involved in an accident dont tell the police you have it if they turn up of course,let the other party tell their lies or women when they have finished crying tell their lies,then get it downloaded when you get back to yard ,arse covered.
it only films and records when triggered by braking and swerving out of the normal.
you know when it has recorded a light will be lit on top of the unit so dont do know erratic driving

There are cameras like this that will only save the last 10 seconds prior to any impact and they fit behind the rear view mirrors on cars. I believe that they record for only 10 seconds on a ‘loop’ recording system.

We’ll all probably end up with something like the US Drivecam system

Check this video of somebody falling asleep at the wheel

youtube.com/watch?v=DxLdCC46BUs

bally - not an english speaking driver driving for them - nallard have them both pointing out of the window and pointing into the cab!

Unless you spend your day/night skiving in laybys then there’s nothing to fear from this, you get some ■■■■■■■■ cut you up causing you to slam em on & the load moves, photographic evidence that it ain’t your fault. You’re stuck in traffic making you late for a booking, photographic evidence that it ain’t your fault.

Can’t see the problem myself, could even deter thieving scum from their light-fingered layby antics if they know they’re on camera & the more it’s publicised it may even deter bad drivers from cutting you up if a video of their bad driving ends up in court as evidence of liability in any accident.

ROG:
There are cameras like this that will only save the last 10 seconds prior to any impact and they fit behind the rear view mirrors on cars. I believe that they record for only 10 seconds on a ‘loop’ recording system.

This is the system that I have seen in use in the US. They kick in for any driving extremes like excessive braking, swerving, and in some cases hard acceleration, also impacts. It is also possible for the driver to hit a button on top of the camera and activate it himself if he thinks something is about to happen. In the vehicles I drove with this system “the office” could watch the film real time on computer when the camera was activated. I don’t know if this is the same system as is being seen in the UK.
I didn’t find it intimidating, it will weed out the bad drivers though.

a couple of our trucks have had them fitted for a few years now.
they have a camera front and rear and one on each side looking down from over the cab doors. it records on a hard disk in the cab and rewrites over itself every 24 hours. it also records speed and knows when you are using your brakes.
if you was involved in an accident it could get you off or it could crusify you depending on your driving. .

it would,nt bother me if i had them fitted to mine.

i got a cam in my van.takes a video from the front cam and records voice as well,the rear cam is just picture in black and white front is color…but its my cam not companys and its has saved me twice already.once when i got my van hit from behind by a truck when doing a roadside tyre change on another truck.and once when i hit someone up the rear as there break lights were not working.

I’ve driven a 18tonner with one of these.

Any harsh action on the brakes or serious swerving (measured by G I think) and it records for 60 seconds, then erases itself next time its activated.

Never thought twice about having it as it could probably be handy in an accident dispute.

I did ask about it at the time, think the owner said it cost around £300 per unit to fit.

Alex

Regardless of whether one supports the idea or not, the recording of the manner of driving by an employee surely falls into the criteria of ‘personal data’ and would therefore be subject to an advisory notice being placed within the vehicle and drivers being supplied with the identity of the Data Manager.

Whilst I haven’t heard of ten second loop cameras, I have heard of data loops which store data immediately prior to a seat belt application above a specified force.

Why does everyone rely on Personal Data legislation?

If the employee is not doing anything wrong they aint got anything to worry about

Remember all the uproar when tacho’s first came into force, spy in the cab and all of that, yet how many times have they saved a driver from wrongful prosecution?

Found this
A windscreen-mounted digital camera with the potential to ■■■■■ operators’ insurance premiums by preventing fraudulent claims against them, has been launched by Vision-Techniques. The X-Driven, which is plugged into a truck’s ciga-rette lighter, records a view of the road ahead and instantly downloads the footage onto its integral SD memory card.

It remains in the memory for between eight and 33 hours (depending on the recording quality setting chosen) before being overridden. The £250 device has G-shock sensors, which detect any sudden or sharp movements - such as heavy braking, swerving or a collision. Such manoeuvres automatically trigger the ‘save’ function, which permanently stores the footage from 30 seconds prior to, and 30 seconds following the event.

This allows you to see both the build-up and the aftermath, both of which could be invaluable in the case of an insurance claim. Similarly, the driver can manually save footage if he chooses.
roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … laims.html

ezydriver:
Last week, a fellow colleague asked me to go and have a look at something in his cab.
It was a box in the middle of the windscreen, at the bottom. On closer inspection I found it to be a special type of camera that can be accessed from the computer in the office. It was pointing directly ahead and films the road, and generally whatever is directly in front of the truck at any given moment.

This really made me sad. As if trackers, tachographs, smoking bans and mobile phones were not enough, this camera is the final straw with regards to any type of privacy. I chose this career because the freedom attracted me to it, primarily.

I rang my boss and asked him what it was for and he was really cagey. He wouldn’t give away anything. On further probing he mumbled something about insurance.

What do you think? Have you seen these before? Does your firm have them? If so, why do they have them? Are you happy about it?

Wouldn’t be Lee Tomblings would it? I had an interview with them 18 months ago and he did say that there were two cameras one looking forward and one filming the driver so they could see what you were doing sould you be involved in an accident (YEH YEH) needless to say I turned job down.

It wouldnt worry me if I had to have one fitted, but it is a step too close to the Jeremy Kyle justice that is on TV.

Although it would give me chance to beat the crap out of that sanctimonious little posstot :stuck_out_tongue:

Sentenced by UTube :open_mouth:

mick_n3:

ezydriver:

Wouldn’t be Lee Tomblings would it? I had an interview with them 18 months ago and he did say that there were two cameras one looking forward and one filming the driver so they could see what you were doing sould you be involved in an accident (YEH YEH) needless to say I turned job down.

Christ almighty, sometimes I pick my nose, and sometimes I talk to myself. On the odd occasion I make a phone call or eat and steer with my knees (i’m on a deserted motorway at 2am by the way)…

If one of these cameras were always filming, and was only triggered by braking or swerving or whatever, and only saves thirty seconds prior to, and after an event, could the office watch it filming the rest of the time, at any time, from their computer as they wish?

Just got the new X-Driven system fitted to my truck and i’m quite glad to have it.
There are so many tossers on the road these days i think this piece of kit will come in handy.
I know It could backfire if i’m at fault but that’s a chance i’m happy to take.

Soldier Z’s explanation makes much more sense. I was thinking while reading the thread before that, recording only 10 seconds after hitting the brakes or swerving would be no good as would only start to record "after the event"of the cause.

Driveroneuk:
Soldier Z’s explanation makes much more sense. I was thinking while reading the thread before that, recording only 10 seconds after hitting the brakes or swerving would be no good as would only start to record "after the event"of the cause.

I think it would be recording all the time, but only the ten seconds prior to, and straight after hitting the brakes would be recoverable.

This is not fact that I have heard, but just my assumption.