Truck driver lucky he had dash cam

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rrors.html

Car driver changes lanes without looking and blames truck driver in insurance claim.
Just fortunate he had a dash cam to back his story up.

not this again maybe admin should put it at the top as a sticky ?

Posted before then? Oops :blush:

First time I’ve seen it, but I’m a long way away :slight_smile:

peterm:

Don’t feel like quite such a muppet now! Was in todays Daily Mail so I thought it was new

peterm:

is it nice and hot there at the moment mate, it’s bloody grim here

Latique:
not this again maybe admin should put it at the top as a sticky ?

It’s not the Honda one that was doing the rounds recently

Been using one the past 3 years, never drive without one, in the truck or in the car…

Almost makes you wonder about putting your own one in your company lorry.

These days you’re daft not to report any accident in a vehicle to your own insurer, and vice versa we have to sign off re any accidents in any vehicle when we have our frequent licence checks.
(we’ve had this discussion recently so not asking for an argument, i would report a lorry accident to my own insurers, if others don’t that’s their choice)

Had the lorry in the vid not had a camera he would most likely have been held to blame, the lorry driver is always to blame, and that could well have cost more on his own insurance renewals than a camera would, plus all the hassle of reporting a fault claim for every renewal for the next 5 years.

Goes against the grain supplying recording equipment that the company should buy, but is approx £70’s worth of investment for your personal protection worth it?

One of our Haverhill drivers was trundling his way back one evening when a car that had been following for a while overtook him then when he pulled in suddenly slams his anchor’s on and our driver rear ends the car as he had no chance of stopping. Anyway police and ambulance called as car driver seems in lots of pain :unamused: police go straight to lorry driver obviously to question him but our driver lucky for him had some kind of dash cam filming all this so now the situation now has changed, meanwhile poor car driver gets freed from car and is promply arrested :smiley:

I wonder what would have happened to our driver had he not had his own dash cam recording all this.

Juddian:

It’s no brainer IMO. There’s no almost or wondering about it.

I got mine after some ■■■■ brake tested me for going round a roundabout too slowly for his liking. If he did it again now, with my trusty dashcam watching, I might not be so quick to jump on the anchors.

After having a near miss with somebody doing similar to me on the A14 a couple of years back I bought a cheap cam for under £30 from Maplins and used that.

It worked well and the footage would have been adequate if I had had to use it in my defence.
It was no good at night but then I was on days so that didn’t matter.

I gave me piece of mind and I was able to bore the family with video of where I had been that day :smiley:

Well, Bald bloke, Contraflow and Roadcommander, thankyou you’ve made me mind up…too many arse wipes out there now.

Going to ask when i’m next in if the much talked about fitting of cameras is actually happening across the fleet anytime soon, if not i’ll grab another one identical to the two running in both cars.

Transcend DrivePro 200 for those interested, small enough whilst still able to operated by an old fool who needs reading glasses for close work, records and runs well with 2 years standard warranty, getting on for £80 mind.

Juddian:

These days you’re daft not to report any accident in a vehicle to your own insurer, and vice versa we have to sign off re any accidents in any vehicle when we have our frequent licence checks.
(we’ve had this discussion recently so not asking for an argument, i would report a lorry accident to my own insurers, if others don’t that’s their choice)

Had the lorry in the vid not had a camera he would most likely have been held to blame, the lorry driver is always to blame, and that could well have cost more on his own insurance renewals than a camera would, plus all the hassle of reporting a fault claim for every renewal for the next 5 years.

Goes against the grain supplying recording equipment that the company should buy, but is approx £70’s worth of investment for your personal protection worth it?

I run my own Camera in company vehicles which are fitted with one already, then I have my own record, in my hands…and I know when mine is working or not, something which you cannot always be certain of the status with when talking about company fitted ones.

A good indication of the intelligence of the average Mail reader can be found in the comments:

Ben you need to get your highway code out mate, drivers joining the motorway DO have right of way and those in the nearside lane DO have to allow the cars in. Any good driver moves to the middle lane at junctions for this very reason.

Is that a serious comment ■■ Are people seriously that stupid ? Sadly I think this is the case, cars clearly come pushing in from the nearside regardless of the fact another vehicle is already there, M1 Leicester Forrest East Northbound where the top of the 69 joins is a particularly bad one for exactly this kind of brain dead move…I lost count of the amount of times I have watched a car swerve at the last moment when they realise I am not moving, and yes, if the lane next to me is free and I can move I will move, else they can find their own way in.

I use my mobile now on continuous video. Does the same job. Get a bigger SD card and a window clamp.

Phantom Mark:
Is that a serious comment ■■ Are people seriously that stupid ? Sadly I think this is the case, cars clearly come pushing in from the nearside regardless of the fact another vehicle is already there, M1 Leicester Forrest East Northbound where the top of the 69 joins is a particularly bad one for exactly this kind of brain dead move…I lost count of the amount of times I have watched a car swerve at the last moment when they realise I am not moving, and yes, if the lane next to me is free and I can move I will move, else they can find their own way in.

That is one of the most idiotic junction designs out there, those joining in the outside of the two slip lanes have nowhere to go, i always try and get over into the middle lane before the junctions meet at typical times, if you don’t you can guarantee an elephant racer with a speed of .000001mph faster than you will suddenly decide he’s got to get past you at exactly the wrong moment after following you all the way from Lutterworth without the slightest inclination of wanting to get by.

Good point about having your very own recorder as a driver from your post above, will have to give fitment a thought, i’m not the only one to drive it and removing refitting daily isn’t going to do the connectors much good.

Juddian:
Well, Bald bloke, Contraflow and Roadcommander, thankyou you’ve made me mind up…too many arse wipes out there now.

Going to ask when i’m next in if the much talked about fitting of cameras is actually happening across the fleet anytime soon, if not i’ll grab another one identical to the two running in both cars.

Transcend DrivePro 200 for those interested, small enough whilst still able to operated by an old fool who needs reading glasses for close work, records and runs well with 2 years standard warranty, getting on for £80 mind.

I use a free app called Autoboy Black box and it’s pretty good considering it’s free, I was going to splash out on a Roadhawk but our lot are now going to get forward facing cameras fitted so I won’t waste my money .

bald bloke:

Juddian:

I use a free app called Autoboy Black box and it’s pretty good considering it’s free, I was going to splash out on a Roadhawk but our lot are now going to get forward facing cameras fitted so I won’t waste my money .

Our lot have been talking about fitting them for ages, i’m going to ask when i see a gaffer next but won’t be holding me breath.

App’s no good to me, still got a steam powered phone, and to be honest i just aint clever enough with all this techno stuff for a smartphone, so stand alone simple (well as simple as it can be) is my only real option.