Able the Agency, Sheffield

Has anybody got any experience of Able the Agency in Sheffield? I phoned them earlier and was told that if I could get in and register during the week he can guarantee that I will have a shift on Saturday. I passed my CE 17 days ago and this seems to good to be true, am I dreaming?

Never heard of them but there’s only one way to find out if they are as good as their word. If they are, I’d like to know as we have loads of candidates from Sth Yorks.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I will let you know how I get on Peter. I phoned them because they were advertising for full time drivers in Shirebrook (I’m guessing for Sports Direct). He wasn’t at all bothered that I’ve only had my licence for less than three weeks and said he would never advise anybody to quit their current employment but they are very busy and getting me a shift every other weekend to fit around my job won’t be a problem. He also asked if I was available for the approaching bank holiday. Very friendly and helpful unlike almost all of the other agencies I’ve contacted that can’t hang up quick enough once they find out how long you’ve had your licence.

SmashedCrabFace:
Has anybody got any experience of Able the Agency in Sheffield? I phoned them earlier and was told that if I could get in and register during the week he can guarantee that I will have a shift on Saturday. I passed my CE 17 days ago and this seems to good to be true, am I dreaming?

Believe it’s the same outfit that started life in Leeds, run by Lionel and his son Richard. My experiences with them were inline with other agencies : they care about bums on seats and nothing more. Oh and the usual agency tradition of always siding with the client when the ■■■■ hits the fan. It’s not an outfit I’d do any work for again, but for someone in your position it’d be a good stepping stone towards better things.

Rob K:
for someone in your position it’d be a good stepping stone towards better things

I hope so, I’ve got nothing to lose. My boss is desperate for me to work next Saturday and I will get great satisfaction from telling him I can’t because I’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Shirebrook (I’m guessing for Sports Direct).

Sounds likely for Sports Direct. They have a mixture of artic and w+d. Some of their work is double manned and , to the best of my knowledge, they run perfectly legal. Nice fleet and would be a very good start. If you need the TM’s name send me a pm. We train their drivers so they have no anx with newbies.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That would be great Peter, thank you. I don’t suppose you have his phone number too? I’ve applied to Sports Direct already but heard nothing from them yet, although I did only drop off my application at head office yesterday at 4.30pm, so maybe I’m being a little impatient.

SmashedCrabFace:
That would be great Peter, thank you. I don’t suppose you have his phone number too? I’ve applied to Sports Direct already but heard nothing from them yet, although I did only drop off my application at head office yesterday at 4.30pm, so maybe I’m being a little impatient.

:unamused:

That would be great Peter, thank you. I don’t suppose you have his phone number too?

Sent you pm. Cheers, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Peter. I also applied at Taylor’s in Kirkby last week. I went up earlier today to see the director just to try my luck and it worked. I have been offered a full time class 2 job on nights. He wants me to go out one night with one of the other drivers to see if I like it before I quit my current job. If I like it I can have the job. Needless to say I am over the moon.

Well done SCF that’s great news hope I can manage to have some luck when my bloody digicard gets here could do with a couple of weeks work as money now running out as quit job back in May to do this just didn’t think it would take so long

Thanks Kirk Ella. I haven’t got my digicard yet either, been waiting 2 weeks now.
My advice to you is to be persistent. I have been calling this guy two times a day everyday this week but never got past his receptionist, I’ve also turned up at the office a few times trying to catch him and this afternoon I succeeded. I was polite, honest and maybe a little bit cheeky but it worked. I took my licence, DQC, CV, passport, and P60 and basically said “gis a job mister”.
I’m going to try and get Wednesday off work so I can spend Tuesday night on the road with another driver. If I like it (which I know I will) I will hand my notice in at work on Thursday. My dream has come true. Good luck with yours.

Really encorouging when the general idea is that newbies haven’t got a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job. Just shows that persistence, with a bit of luck, can pay off. Well done. Pete :laughing: :laughing: