Agencies In Sheffield

I am lookig to register with Driver Hire in Sheffield, Does any one know what type of work they cover? who they work for? what Driver Hire Sheffield are like to work for?

Not done any work for them for over a decade so can’t’comment but I’m doing a bit for Able at the minute and the work is constant.
Depending on what you like doing they just started putting people into Gist at Barnsley (used to be BOC at Carlton). They also have ongoing work out of Stobbarts at Barlborough
Lynne and Jim that run Able are good people and do their best to get you the work and shifts you want.
Ive been there about 4 weeks and Ive been in for both the above, APC, RG Glass, Cepac, Sheps at Birley Vale, Pawsons, Tuffnells.
They have plenty of work on if you want it.
Hope that helps.

Im working for DH in sheffield and have done for over a year, but im also working for almost everyone else whos listed in the SY phonebook lol.
it really depends on which side of town you live in relation to the jobs they have, and what work you want, they do a lot for wilkos at manton, but that is now generally nightwork only, as wilkos have re-jigged there shift patterns, and the demand is for night agy drivers,
clipper near the stockyard is another contract i regularly get asked to do, but won`t due to it being flat rate all hrs and a high No of drops.
they have plenty of contracts in the north of town inc barnsley.

in a nutshell, ALL the agys in town tend to cover the same contracts, and its not unusual for them and the other agys to sub a driver to another agy just to make a penny or two.

what work are you looking for, and what class licence you got?
it would be a start to help with your enquiry

DriverTemps get my vote (0114 272 0007), although I’ve only worked for the Leeds office and not the Sheffield one so I don’t know what the work is like down there.

Paul

I have a class one licence. I am looking for weekend work as I work in an office all week pushing paper. I recently double manned with my brother in a Scania R470 recently and I realised what I am missing, so am looking to satrt with an agency on weekend work and see where it leasd. :laughing:

normally i`m defensive about recomending drivers to agencies i work for, as more drivers on the books = less work for me.

but speak to (simple) Simon or Alan 01142449995 and see what they can sort out, but be aware, because you work in an office M-F there could be a conflict of hours for the RTD, and DH are keen to keep track of RTD hours, and ask you to declare all hours worked on your time sheet, even if you haven`t worked for DH on say monday, they want you declare what non DH hours you worked monday

I was told to avoid the Sheffield agencies as they pay crap rates, as i’m on the Barnsley/Wakefield border i have been in touch with the West Yorkshire agencies.

tobytyke:
I was told to avoid the Sheffield agencies as they pay crap rates.

your probably correct, for class 1, the basic rate in the area is around £8/hr, but there are contracts (tesco doncaster for one of em) that pay more.
tbh, as someone who has been more long term on the local agys, i know i can do better, and generally get more than someone whos only looking to fill a 2-3 week gap between jobs, or somone who is only looking to work every other weekend or sat/sat.
I have worked over 300+ shifts for DH in the last 14 months so I can expect a little more :wink: BUT I have had to fight my case hard, especially as they tried to drop my money when I went to a different client.

as for the rate, it depends on the agy, and the price they give to the client, some will undercut others by pennies, and pay the drivers acordingly

popup pirate:
I’m doing a bit for Able at the minute and the work is constant. Lynne and Jim that run Able are good people and do their best to get you the work and shifts you want.

a long time ago, before diong agency work, some of the companies i worked for full time,wouldn`t use able due to em not having sufficient driver neglegence insurance. I hope that situation has changed

peirre:

popup pirate:
I’m doing a bit for Able at the minute and the work is constant. Lynne and Jim that run Able are good people and do their best to get you the work and shifts you want.

a long time ago, before diong agency work, some of the companies i worked for full time,wouldn`t use able due to em not having sufficient driver neglegence insurance. I hope that situation has changed

I couldnt honestly say Pierre. All I know is they keep the work coming.
Probably tempting fate but it looks like (fingers crossed) I got an assessment at Maritime anyway so I will be leaving.

I have worked for these cowboys before,never again.

I know Jim,he used to be transport manager at John Dennis in barnsley before it went under.Hes a top geezer.

However,Able agency is run by Lynn.Shes a cheat and a liar.I was ripped off on every job whilst I was there.Short changed me on overtime rates.Paid class 2 rates for rigids even though I was offering myself as class1.All other agencies pay class 1 rates for class 1 drivers.Messed me about for weeks over pay.
She also got some gofor called Paul working there.Honestly,hes a complete turd.

All this said,I hope my copmments dont reflect on Jim Westmoreland who has probably brought some respectability to Able,since they were struggling to survive before he arrived.Not sure how they are getting on now.

popup pirate:
Not done any work for them for over a decade so can’t’comment but I’m doing a bit for Able at the minute and the work is constant.
Depending on what you like doing they just started putting people into Gist at Barnsley (used to be BOC at Carlton). They also have ongoing work out of Stobbarts at Barlborough
Lynne and Jim that run Able are good people and do their best to get you the work and shifts you want.
Ive been there about 4 weeks and Ive been in for both the above, APC, RG Glass, Cepac, Sheps at Birley Vale, Pawsons, Tuffnells.
They have plenty of work on if you want it.
Hope that helps.

I know Jim,he used to be transport manager at John Dennis in barnsley before it went under.Hes a top geezer.

However,Able agency is run by Lynn.Shes a cheat and a liar.I was ripped off on every job whilst I was there.Short changed me on overtime rates.Paid class 2 rates for rigids even though I was offering myself as class1.All other agencies pay class 1 rates for class 1 drivers.Messed me about for weeks over pay.

All this said,I hope my copmments dont reflect on Jim Westmoreland who has probably brought some respectability to Able,since they were struggling to survive before he arrived.Not sure how they are getting on now.

smashedteapot:

While drivers on here regularly talk about companies who may or may not be in financial difficulties, we are sometimes gagged. However it seems perfectly ok for someone to defame someone with libel.

If someone called me a liar and a cheat on a public forum I would hunt you down like a rabid dog. especially as you are willing to use actual names and company names whilst withholding your own.

Just an observation.

Wheel Nut:

smashedteapot:

While drivers on here regularly talk about companies who may or may not be in financial difficulties, we are sometimes gagged. However it seems perfectly ok for someone to defame someone with libel.

If someone called me a liar and a cheat on a public forum I would hunt you down like a rabid dog. especially as you are willing to use actual names and company names whilst withholding your own.

Just an observation.

All I can say is :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

smashedteapot:

Just an observation.

Just as well that I dont give a toss what you think,in the same way that I dont give a toss what the people I am speaking of think.
This is a forum for drivers to discuss experiences and share that information to our mutual benefit.My interests are other drivers and not questionable agencies.If an agency behaves in a particular manner then they can expect that to become public whether good or bad.
Furthermore,libel suggests that the comments are untrue.My comments are true.
Just what you would think the outcome of hunting me down would be I’m not sure but youre scaring me!! [rolls eyes].

thecoder0:

Wheel Nut:

smashedteapot:

I

Just an observation.

All I can say is :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I hope he has proof !

Forum Rules

Rule 1
YOU are responsible for the contents of YOUR posts. If you post something that causes someone to sue us, then we’ll pass on everything we know about you. We will NOT carry the can.