Agencies Wakefield/Leeds area

I have passed my C+E and now need some experience, but am having problems finding an agency to take on a “novice”.

I have had a class 3 licence since 1977, but have not driven lorries since I became a driving instructor in 1989.

Does anyone know of any agencies around the Wakefield/Leeds area who take on newbies?

I know that Manpower in Dewsbury are looking for drivers on the Royal Mail and I think a company called Direct Workforce want drivers on UPS. Also Simon at RRS on 07799754110 has work around Normanton I do work for him for Stobarts at Sherburn.

Hi Biker thanks very much will give them a try. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Well I did my first Class 2 job since 1989 yestereday which went OK apart from being an hour late starting as the agency gave me the wrong start time!
I’m working Monday to Friday on a Class 1, although I’m only getting paid the Class 2 rate due to my lack of experience.
I can’t say I’m looking forward to tomorrow, 3-30 am start, so at least it will be quiet for the first couple of hours I hope. Give me chance to sort myself out.

Who you doing it thru?

I tried Driver Hire in Wakefield and they took me on and got me a couple of jobs. The money is crap, but at the moment I’m not too concerned about the pay it’s the experience I need.
Just got back from my frist day on Class 1. Everything went ok apart from the reversing. Had to ask another driver to help me, felt a bit of an idiot, but he was really helpful. Going back to the same place tomorrow, so hopefully will be able to do it on my own. I always seem to oversteer and then it all goes wrong.

Thanks

Never a problem with asking another driver I was always told it is best to ask than damage something.

why are you only getting class two money when the agency are geting class one money ? its your licence not some muppets in an office who is making a wage of you :imp: this realy gets on my back . I bet they havent event got a car licence . tell them you want full money as they need you it is christmas after all

hi try topgear at wakefield their a decent agency always ringing me for work. £9 pph

Hi,
I was paid class 2 rates as the agency phoned the company concerned to see if they were willing to accept a novice class 1 driver, which fortunately they were and I have learned a hell of a lot in the last 6 days.
Driver Hire will take on inexperienced drivers and a lot of the agencies just show you the door.
I will carry on trying other agencies and will certainly try TopGear - thanks for the info.

FloridaErn:
Well I did my first Class 2 job since 1989 yestereday which went OK apart from being an hour late starting as the agency gave me the wrong start time!
I’m working Monday to Friday on a Class 1, although I’m only getting paid the Class 2 rate due to my lack of experience.
I can’t say I’m looking forward to tomorrow, 3-30 am start, so at least it will be quiet for the first couple of hours I hope. Give me chance to sort myself out.

I don’t think you should accept class 2 rates for class 1 work, novice or not, youre doing the same bloody job as the other class 1 drivers and should be treated the same.

I passed my class 2 the other week and registered with Manpower who found me a job which starts on saturday, they wasnt bothered about me just passing my test ,more to the point they were after someone who knew what a days graft was and was willing to put the effort in,